Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 03.30.2019 04:09 PM

fucking glorious is what that is

h8kurdt 03.30.2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

No Country For Old Men

I'm assuming it's pretty redundent saying anything about how great this is. I mean everyone here agrees it's at least pretty great, right?

*Everyone* don't think anyone can disagree that this film is pretty great
*Rob* hold my beer

Severian 03.30.2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
*Rob* hold my beer

It’s great. Rob’s called “Instigator” for a reason.

It’s goddamn great.

Severian 03.30.2019 07:44 PM

I wonder...

Is No Country the best Coens movie?

I tend to think of Fargo as the Pul Fiction of their canon, because goddamn that thing is a masterpiece, and Barton Fink *might* be my personal favorite, but No Country is a tour de force.

Better than Fargo?

Ch’yall think?

!@#$%! 03.30.2019 07:51 PM

hmmmm...

yes?

hard to say but.... yes?

ah, fuck, yes

fargo was a very cool indie movie of the 90s and i’ll never look at a woodchipper the same way (lol)

no country is one of the best movies ever, period. another level of craft and... everything, fuck. that chiguhr guy... brrrrr!

no country is in the fucking pantheon. yeah.

my “favorite” is raising arizona for lolworthy reasons. not the best just the one i love the most. just thinking about it right now i start to laugh

demonrail666 03.30.2019 08:50 PM

There's a handful of Coen Bros films, Raising Arizona being one of them, that I've never clicked with. I tend not to like their more screwball side. Hudsucker Proxy being another one I couldn't get into.

For me, No Country is probably their 'best' film, but the one I enjoy the most is The Big Lebowski.

Severian 03.30.2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

There's a handful of Coen Bros films, Raising Arizona being one of them, that I've never clicked with. I tend not to like their more screwball side. Hudsucker Proxy being another one I couldn't get into.

For me, No Country is probably their 'best' film, but the one I enjoy the most is The Big Lebowski.

Shit, forgot about Lebowski. That might be my “favorite” for pure enjoyment.

Barton Fink is underrated and was making indie and Cannes blow up before it as cool. That one is a goddamn gem, and when viewed as a Hitchcockian horror/thriller doubling as cautionary tale about the moral risks of seeking fame while thinking you’re the smartest fucking guy in the room, is really quite poignant.

But yeah, No Country and Fargo are probably peak Coens craft. No Country, being a serious goddamn motherfucker and not a black comedy like Fargo, probably wins the day.

There just isn’t a wasted moment in it, and Javier Bardem brings chills.

!@#$%! 03.30.2019 09:34 PM

oh shit i forgot about lebowski too! hahaha (how??)

yes...

but man in raising arizona that supermarket shooting with the pantyhose mask and chase with the diapers and that howling song... that shit is comedy GOLD

plus so much else...

tw2113 03.30.2019 10:27 PM

4 words:

Excellent Adventure
Bogus Journey

ilduclo 03.31.2019 10:12 AM

Didn’t like No Country mostly because of the source material, to my mind a racist author (you could expect to see “blackface” photos in any of his HS or Uni photos). That said, I think he’s a marvelous writer, just not Coen type material. I would have expected much better dialog, but Cormac really doesn’t do dialog like Coens, and that really bled thru into the movie.

My best of Coens is Miller’s Crossing, Fargo is second

demonrail666 03.31.2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
to my mind a racist author

What makes him a racist author?

The Gazpacho Gestapo 03.31.2019 12:25 PM

lol what is a large bird doing in Japan?

Severian 03.31.2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

What makes him a racist author?

Yeah, I’m not sure about this one either.

Haven’t read all his books, but if there’s a racially charged agenda, I’m missing it.

Severian 03.31.2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Didn’t like No Country mostly because of the source material, to my mind a racist author (you could expect to see “blackface” photos in any of his HS or Uni photos). That said, I think he’s a marvelous writer, just not Coen type material. I would have expected much better dialog, but Cormac really doesn’t do dialog like Coens, and that really bled thru into the movie.

My best of Coens is Miller’s Crossing, Fargo is second

Miller’s Crossing has some of the best cinematography of that era, and Albert Finney is a goddamn revelation in it. One of the best mob movies of the ‘90s. Perhaps second only to GoodFellas.

But... on repeated viewings, it loses some of its oomph. Barton Fink, meanwhile, still reveals new crazy ass shit to me every time I watch it.

Goddamn the Coens are good

tw2113 03.31.2019 07:29 PM

I find it hard to argue against Zoolander

Rob Instigator 04.02.2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
*Rob* hold my beer

I love this film.

Peterpuff 04.02.2019 09:57 AM

What is you all Coen brothers fans' take on The Ballad of Buster Scruggs? I found it a pretty damn enjoyable watch, myself.

Severian 04.02.2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
What is you all Coen brothers fans' take on The Ballad of Buster Scruggs? I found it a pretty damn enjoyable watch, myself.

I thought it was BEAUTIFUL and downright poetic binge-viewing, just glorious as fuck, but I have a hard time thinking of it as a “movie” since there’s no real connective tissue between the segments.

But I LOVED IT and was sad when it ended.

!@#$%! 04.03.2019 10:14 AM

man i started watching scruggs and it was kinda hilarious but my time is parceled out in little blocks for the time being so we could not muster the whatever hours and full attention a movie requires

fuck, i havent even managed to watch roma either, and i wanna.

but i hope to get back to those soon— a few weeks time at most. i hope, lol.

meanwhile, just saw a decent trailer for a children’s movie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc

joaquín is alright!

Peterpuff 04.03.2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I thought it was BEAUTIFUL and downright poetic binge-viewing, just glorious as fuck, but I have a hard time thinking of it as a “movie” since there’s no real connective tissue between the segments.

You know, I actually almost included this in my post, by calling it "an amusing nod to Netflix viewing habits in general," but thought that might sound corny or get lost in translation. I think you summed up my feelings on it as well. It is tough to consider it an outright movie for certain.