Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New My Bloody Valentine (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=83864)

Count Mecha 11.16.2012 10:40 AM

New My Bloody Valentine

Sort of surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...tine-new-album

By the end of the year even. Say what you want about them, love them or hate them. Gotta be wondering what this thing is going to sound like.

Pookie 11.16.2012 10:44 AM

As if the existence of MBV's back catalogue wasn't depressing enough.

Severian 11.16.2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Sort of surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...tine-new-album

By the end of the year even. Say what you want about them, love them or hate them. Gotta be wondering what this thing is going to sound like.

I feel like Portishead and Godspeed are the only bands who have managed to "come back" with the same strength they had in the beginning. MBV has a sound that is so specific to one era that I can't imagine it translating into anything that sounds as fresh for this era as their older material did back in the 1990.

My guess is that it will sound disappointing no matter how good it is. I could be wrong though.

Genteel Death 11.16.2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I feel like Portishead and Godspeed are the only bands who have managed to "come back" with the same strength they had in the beginning. MBV has a sound that is so specific to one era that I can't imagine it translating into anything that sounds as fresh for this era as their older material did back in the 1990.

My guess is that it will sound disappointing no matter how good it is. I could be wrong though.

Why do you talk about ''translating into anything that sounds fresh for this era'' when you only listen to bands that are too old to be your father anyway? Fuck off.

Please, someone quote me so Severian can see me. I am on his ignore list, apparently.

the ikara cult 11.16.2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Why do you talk about ''translating into anything that sounds fresh for this era'' when you only listen to bands that are too old to be your father anyway? Fuck off.

Please, someone quote me so Severian can see me. I am on his ignore list, apparently.

as you have made a good point, i am happy to oblige

SYRFox 11.17.2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

parred

dazedcola 11.17.2012 08:56 AM

wow you guys are really cynical hating on a record before its even released. why dont you wait until you can actually hear it because right now everything you say is just speculation

Severian 11.17.2012 11:09 AM

I don't think My Bloody Valentine is " too old to be my father." My father is in his mid '60s. Now, if you're talking about Kevin Shields... You're still way off.

Most of the bands I listen to are made up of people who are either younger thanI am, or ten-twenty years older (like the band we are all here to "get gay over"). So all in all, I think that's a pretty half-assed insult, and not at all a good point.

But why does that matter? I would probably love a new MBV album no matter what, but am also conscious of the fact that it might not be received well by younger audiences. It would be a shame if the album bombed because some 22 year-old Pitchfork writer said it was dated. My liking it would not stop MBV's record from being fucked, and that's my real concern. I want new generations to continue to get into the band, and modern critics have absolute authority over all of that.

Severian 11.17.2012 11:18 AM

Incidentally, that may be the lamest insult I've ever heard.

You watch movies that are too old to be your father.
Read books that are too old to be your father.
Root for teams that are too old to be your father.

I'm just not feeling the rancor here Genteel. Have someone quote you again when you start using more interesting insults.

But if you really want me to read your posts, you could just stop being a complete prick. I'd gladly un-ignore you if you stopped being a waste of time. Being an Internet prick is .... pointless.

SYRFox 11.17.2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
wow you guys are really cynical hating on a record before its even released. why dont you wait until you can actually hear it because right now everything you say is just speculation

no one's "hating" on the record?
you're only speculating on hate here mate

the ikara cult 11.17.2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Incidentally, that may be the lamest insult I've ever heard.

You watch movies that are too old to be your father.
Read books that are too old to be your father.
Root for teams that are too old to be your father.

I'm just not feeling the rancor here Genteel. Have someone quote you again when you start using more interesting insults.

But if you really want me to read your posts, you could just stop being a complete prick. I'd gladly un-ignore you if you stopped being a waste of time. Being an Internet prick is .... pointless.

In Porkys defence, he seemed to be opposed to you saying that their music was inherantly tied to a time/place/scene. And i agree, MBV's sound evolved considerably from the mid eighties to Loveless. Why do they have to sound "fresh"? What if they just write some nice songs? Id much rather hear them devolve to Isnt Anything? myself, Loveless is terribly overrated.

SonicBebs 11.17.2012 06:07 PM

I cant wait to hear this.
its a guess, but i guess its gonna be fucked up and noisy, and i like fucked up and noisy

fucked up and noisy sounded good 20 years ago and it sounds good today

Severian 11.18.2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
In Porkys defence, he seemed to be opposed to you saying that their music was inherantly tied to a time/place/scene. And i agree, MBV's sound evolved considerably from the mid eighties to Loveless. Why do they have to sound "fresh"? What if they just write some nice songs? Id much rather hear them devolve to Isnt Anything? myself, Loveless is terribly overrated.

Point taken; I should have clarified. My worry is not that the album will not be good. I am a regular listener of MBV and totally agree that they evolved a great deal. I believe that I will probably love the new record regardless of how new or fresh it sounds. My worry is that the expectations may be too high for it to appeal to new audiences. I had the same fear about new records by the Pixies and Slint; that a new album would tarnish the band's record, receive negative reviews, and put off would be fans from younger generations.

But honestly, I had Dinosaur jr's Beyond per-ordered pretty much the moment it was possible to do so. Same with OnOffOn by mission of Burma. Not at all worried about my reaction to this album, because even if it sounds like a bunch of unreleased Loveless sessions, I would fucking love it.

I will stop being a crotchety old fuck, and just start being excited.

Severian 11.18.2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult

And yes, Isn't Anything is the better album. Loveless may be overrated, but it's still unquestionably one of the best albums of the past thirty years. But I doubt it is going to sound like either album.

pad_023 12.06.2012 08:07 AM

UK dates announced

UK Dates:

9th March - Glasgow, Barrowlands
www.gigsinscotland.com

10th March - Manchester, Apollo
www.gigsandtours.com/tour/My-Bloody-Valentine

12th March - London, Hammersmith Apollo (on sale Friday 7th Dec)
http://www.gigantic.com/my-bloody-valentine-tickets

Skuj 12.07.2012 01:00 AM

Severian, I don't frequent this board much anymore, and I don't know much about you, but, er....hahaha....oh fuck it.

louder 12.27.2012 02:45 PM

it's coming.

louder 12.27.2012 02:47 PM

i hope that Kevin is just going to drop it randomly on their website. like right before the New Year's Eve.

Glice 12.27.2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Point taken; I should have clarified. My worry is not that the album will not be good. I am a regular listener of MBV and totally agree that they evolved a great deal. I believe that I will probably love the new record regardless of how new or fresh it sounds. My worry is that the expectations may be too high for it to appeal to new audiences. I had the same fear about new records by the Pixies and Slint; that a new album would tarnish the band's record, receive negative reviews, and put off would be fans from younger generations.

Imagine the bloodshed if a probably-shit album by a previously-overrated band received a not-overwhelmingly-fair review preventing speculative people from potentially being a bit more likely to like a thing that was alright/good/great (but we can stop talking about because it was a post-pubescent person-shaped chunk of time ago) - that, my friend, would be the true eschatology, Mayans be damned!

Reading note 1: I'm saying that things aren't sexy after they're [for the sake of argument] '18' years old. See also: wine, whiskey.
Reading note 2: I actually came to prefer Ecstasy and Wine after a housemate pointed out that they're actually quite good at jangly indie songs and all the pedal frippery was just appealing to wankers.
Reading note 3: I should probably also say that the point that Porky and I agree on is that people talk about things that excite them in such a boring way. Have some fucking teenager in thee or admit that you are Jools 'Jools fucking Holland' (fucking) Holland.

Severian 12.27.2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Imagine the bloodshed if a probably-shit album by a previously-overrated band received a not-overwhelmingly-fair review preventing speculative people from potentially being a bit more likely to like a thing that was alright/good/great (but we can stop talking about because it was a post-pubescent person-shaped chunk of time ago) - that, my friend, would be the true eschatology, Mayans be damned!

Reading note 1: I'm saying that things aren't sexy after they're [for the sake of argument] '18' years old. See also: wine, whiskey.
Reading note 2: I actually came to prefer Ecstasy and Wine after a housemate pointed out that they're actually quite good at jangly indie songs and all the pedal frippery was just appealing to wankers.
Reading note 3: I should probably also say that the point that Porky and I agree on is that people talk about things that excite them in such a boring way. Have some fucking teenager in thee or admit that you are Jools 'Jools fucking Holland' (fucking) Holland.

I admit my posts from this thread do make me cringe when I read them over.
I guess I just really ... Ah. Shit. I really like the band (Jesus) and it would-um-suck if it sucked?

I hate myself right now.

Anyway, I'm truly excited about this, and It's probably not going to physically/perceptually possible for me to dislike it. But I am also nervous in a way that is really quite embarrassing for someone my age. I am not sure why.

By the way, I think I listen to the EPs more than either album. I have nothing against any era of mbv, but i prefer their "jangle pop" side as well.