Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Words used wrong that irritate you because they're used wrong (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8590)

Inhuman 12.01.2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Hahaha, us 15 year olds suck for that/The only kids I commnicate with (my close friends) are all good with spelling/grammar, and the ones that aren't good with it, I always delete, due to their annoying ways.
A couple of really annoying ones, I give them a chance, but this one in particular asked me to play "hot or not," So I pulled the old, "Sorry, gotta go," *Block, Delete*.

hahaha I don't blame you, I'd do the same immediately. I convert a lot of them and convince them not to use that type of grammar. It makes you sound so unintelligent. It's interesting to see how many people start saying "haha" instead of "lol" if you use it yourself. Nothing against 15 year olds in my previous post too; I talk them if they're mature, and I think everyone deserves a chance to talk to.

gmku 12.02.2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Not something that really irritates me, but as a non-native speaker I'm always surprised to see how "couldn't care less" and "could care less" are both being used to indicate the same thing... that someone really doesn't care.

To me only the first one feels correct, while the second one would actually indicate that the person saying it at least somewhat cares... Because I've seen it used so often I'm not even sure if the second one is actually wrong, but it does feel wrong to me and would also be wrong in my native language.

You're right. This is misused a lot.

A good guide for these things is the Elements of Style book. (Strunk and White.) Brief, concise, but covers all these kinds of misuses.

k-krack 12.02.2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
hahaha I don't blame you, I'd do the same immediately. I convert a lot of them and convince them not to use that type of grammar. It makes you sound so unintelligent. It's interesting to see how many people start saying "haha" instead of "lol" if you use it yourself. Nothing against 15 year olds in my previous post too; I talk them if they're mature, and I think everyone deserves a chance to talk to.

I know! It's like yr god hisself, speakin' good grammar upon deez mortal soulz!*

*not said wierd and gangster, but like a black preacher in church.

Confucious is sex 12.02.2006 12:52 PM

For me it's the word 'wrong', which is an adjective, being used wrongly as an adverb...

Glice 12.02.2006 12:54 PM

I'm surprised to see that many people who are consistently appaling in their application of English are participating in this thread. Naming no names. If you think it's you, then sort it out. Thanks.

Massenvernichtungswaffen 12.02.2006 01:00 PM

irony is overrated

gmku 12.02.2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
For me it's the word 'wrong', which is an adjective, being used wrongly as an adverb...

No, actually that's wrong.

Wrong is used both as an adjective and an adverb. Examples from my Websters: "Guessed wrong." "Don't get me wrong."

Just as you'd say "right" for "Words that are used right" or "You use that word right" or "you guessed right." You wouldn't say "rightly."

So my use is indeed not wrong. I did not write the name of this thread wrong.

That said, even though I'm an English major and a grammar nerd, I many times get sloppy in writing posts, so I'm basically just taking the piss, and I don't mean to put anybody here down. Come on, I LOVE youse guys, no matter how bads ya talk and write. My vitirol is aimed mainly at the media, who constantly butcher the language.

jon boy 12.02.2006 02:15 PM

being dyslexic i have a hard time knowing which versions of words should go in a sentence but i do find it annoying still when people do it. is that double standards?

gmku 12.02.2006 03:53 PM

No no it's it's not not. Do do you you see see double double? Now now if if you you start start seeing seeing double double, be be sure sure to to let let someone someone know know.

static-harmony 12.03.2006 07:03 AM

Sonic Youth, Sonic Life, Sonic Death, anybody who uses sonic into everything.

lucyrulesok 12.03.2006 07:07 AM

practice/practise

FIGURE IT OUT!

gmku 12.03.2006 11:10 AM

Neighbour vs neighbor and other English variations of "or" words.

Why can't the people on that little island spell the American language right?

gmku 12.03.2006 11:13 AM

Also what really bugs me--the use of "to" or "at" with "where"... as in, "Where are you at?" instead of "Where are you?" or "Where are you going to?" instead of "Where are you going?"

This one is like fingernails on chalkboard to me. Even my wife slips into it once in a while and Ijust wanna scream. Like, where did you grow up, in some shanty in the woods?

Glice 12.03.2006 11:14 AM

You'd hate Bristol. "Where's it to?" meaning "where is it?" is as common as teen pregnancies in Hartcliffe.

gmku 12.03.2006 11:16 AM

And what could "where's it to" possibly even mean?

Iain 12.03.2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
'addicting' and 'addictive'

YES! I hate it when something is referred to as being 'addicting'. It's addictive you cunts....surely?

Iain 12.03.2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
You'd hate Bristol. "Where's it to?" meaning "where is it?" is as common as teen pregnancies in Hartcliffe.

Oh my, I though that was a South Wales thing? Get's right on my tits.

jon boy 12.03.2006 11:22 AM

try the germans for getting all the wrong words in all the wrong places. bloody foreigners.

Trasher02 12.03.2006 11:25 AM

Sorry!