Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Yo La Tengo for 60$? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=37467)

Moshe 01.13.2010 07:24 AM

Yo La Tengo for 60$?

Yo La Tengo are coming to Tel Aviv in March. Just found out that a ticket costs more than 60$!!! Is it worth it?

Trasher02 01.13.2010 07:31 AM

60 bucks??? That's a ridiculous amount to see Yo La Tengo. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

pokkeherrie 01.13.2010 07:47 AM

I wouldn't do it, imo they're pretty boring live.
The last time I saw (a bit of) Yo La Tengo was at the My Bloody Valentine ATP in December and they made such an overwhelming impression that I can barely remember any of it only a month later.... no, not because I was drunk. ;)

BUT, I noticed Cheveu are playing in Israel next month. They'll be much cheaper for sure and they are a lot of fun live.
http://www.myspace.com/cheveu

SuperCreep 01.13.2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
60 bucks??? That's a ridiculous amount to see Yo La Tengo. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

this.

Toilet & Bowels 01.13.2010 08:24 AM

if you would even consider paying $60 to see a band then you might as well just go

Moshe 01.13.2010 09:29 AM

i missed YLT set at primavera so i would like to see them. i paid 80$ to see the pixies in tlv and I would pay more to see sy/neil young/pavement but for them it seems a bit too much.

Toilet & Bowels 01.13.2010 09:32 AM

you've got more money than sense

tesla69 01.13.2010 01:15 PM

My friends who are big fans love their live shows - it is a lot of money but they are coming from a great distance and when might you see them locally again? :-) For some of the boardies, $60 is a week's cigarette money...

Rob Instigator 01.13.2010 02:02 PM

I do not like Yo la Tengo, but if I lived where you live, and a band I liked enough to own several of the albums came by, I would scrape together the money.
GO motherfucker GO!

Genteel Death 01.13.2010 02:10 PM

I can think of at least 8 bands that would lead me to beleive that they might be better live than YLT, and would cost me roughly that amount of money.

samuel 01.13.2010 03:20 PM

I happen to think they're excellent live. You should go. I saw them in October, and it made Popular Songs one of my favorite albums of the decade,

skiles 01.14.2010 12:24 AM

they are playing about 40 mins away from me with - and that's a big 'with' - Times New Viking. I think its about $20. great band(s). decent price. But I don't think I'm driving that far.

If it were $60 and across the street, it would be too much though. It aint that serious.

wellcharge 01.14.2010 12:34 AM

i think alot of people are ignoring the fact that they live in hipster central, and people in tel aviv probably get many,many less chances to see indie rock bands

if you think you would regret it just go, but since it's expensive think it through

skiles 01.14.2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
i think alot of people are ignoring the fact that they live in hipster central, and people in tel aviv probably get many,many less chances to see indie rock bands

if you think you would regret it just go, but since it's expensive think it through

Well, I don't know if i'd go so far as to say 'hipster central'. I probably would never say 'hipster central' anyway though. -but it is true that Yo La Tengo seems to visit here annually. And i did consider that. My thing is i want them to play in the city - I'm not driving 40 minutes away. But even if it were their last show ever and it was to be in town? -For $60, they could keep it. Maybe it all just depends on how much one likes them. I mean, i can't instruct people on how much they should value yo La Tengo.

Moshe 01.14.2010 02:52 AM

Tel Aviv get a couple of cool shows every month. They are usually more expensive than Europe because of the flights to Israel. I guess I'll wait for the day of the gig to decide.

chicka 01.14.2010 04:47 PM

I've recently just got turned on to YLT. If it wasn't going to take food off my table or make me sacrifice something else of value (i.e. blow up Doll) then
I'd go. Live Music is 9 times out of 10 the bomb and their music is dam pleasing.

sonic sphere 01.14.2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
I've recently just got turned on to YLT. If it wasn't going to take food off my table or make me sacrifice something else of value (i.e. blow up Doll) then
I'd go. Live Music is 9 times out of 10 the bomb and their music is dam pleasing.

how much was your blow up doll? ;)