Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

musicfallinglikesnow 06.30.2007 09:23 PM

Yeah, he really is one of the few. Maybe Johnny Cash in his last years, I dunno. Someone who has such clarity on what he wants to do, and doesn't care about getting richer or more famous.

vulva 06.30.2007 09:30 PM

the thing is, no disrespect meant to Cash, he knew the end was coming anyways. He didn't really have any reason to think he could strive for more. He definitely had his time where he was trying to be the greatest and most famous. He only achieved that sense of self actualization around the time he also had admitted to himself that he didn't have much further to go.

musicfallinglikesnow 06.30.2007 09:36 PM

Probably so, it so happens that not all human beings have all that clarity from the start, some have to learn it through time. Cash was a great artist, and was like that for years. True, at the beginning he was just another "pop" artist like Elvis or whatever, but the thing is he changed for good, and I don't think it was only death impending, though that's just my point of view. It is also true that Cale was like that from the start, maybe because he was used to be out of the limelight, to put it somehow. He said he liked it being the engineer or the side musician, until he got used to be in the center of attention. Cash had a complex life, many temptations, on the other hand.

vulva 06.30.2007 09:38 PM

I'm by no means criticizing Cash for his life or for being a bit egocentric, basically all of my favourite musicians are. I just mean that's what makes Cale so unique.

musicfallinglikesnow 06.30.2007 09:40 PM

Yeah, that's right, Cale is that one in a million. I know what you mean.

Everyneurotic 07.01.2007 12:02 AM

Onani Nic 07.01.2007 12:19 AM

BLACK SABBATH- vol.4

Everyneurotic 07.01.2007 12:44 AM

Toxa 07.01.2007 07:35 AM

Torn Curtain 07.01.2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicfallinglikesnow
Someone who has such clarity on what he wants to do, and doesn't care about getting richer or more famous.

Tim Buckley also fits the description ;)

Torn Curtain 07.01.2007 12:02 PM

Les Rita Mitsouko - The No Comprendo

musicfallinglikesnow 07.01.2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Tim Buckley also fits the description ;)

I don't know much about Tim Buckley's life, but from what I've heard or read, what you say it's true. He used to live down Venice Beach, right? :)

sellouteater 07.01.2007 01:22 PM

dirty

sonicl 07.01.2007 01:29 PM

screamingskull 07.01.2007 01:48 PM

I am going to ask him to adopt me.

Torn Curtain 07.01.2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicfallinglikesnow
I don't know much about Tim Buckley's life, but from what I've heard or read, what you say it's true. He used to live down Venice Beach, right? :)

I think it's his guitar player (Lee Underwood) who actually lived in Venice Beach, while Tim lived in Santa Monica. Anyway, it's not far and he often hanged around there. Why, you live there ? :)

musicfallinglikesnow 07.01.2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
I think it's his guitar player (Lee Underwood) who actually lived in Venice Beach, while Tim lived in Santa Monica. Anyway, it's not far and he often hanged around there. Why, you live there ? :)

No, I live outside Buenos Aires... ;)
I thought I had read something in the 1968 London gig liner notes about Venice Beach, and it sounded like a cool place to live for me. Jim Morrison used to hang around there, maybe that's the reason. The place resounds like some sort of sixties place for cool people. That's why I brought it to the conversation. :)

Scumbag666 07.01.2007 06:24 PM

the (old) misfits

Everyneurotic 07.01.2007 07:54 PM

(if i tell you i haven't listened to this one in ten years, it would definitely be a very accurate aproximate, my favorite maiden album and the first vinyl i ever bought).

Norma J 07.01.2007 08:04 PM

Bright Eyes: I'm wide awake, it's morning.

I neglected this album for far too long but I don't know why. Such a fantastic record. I shouldn't let fanboys get to me.