Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Gazpacho Gestapo 12.14.2018 10:26 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.14.2018 10:38 PM

Really? You're that desperate for attention?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.14.2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I like it, and yes it’s cohesive, but I don’t think there’s anything novel about it. It’s Daughters done very well. It’s not a masterpiece.

It does kick ass though.

I think people are just happy to see Daughters back, honestly.

Can't say that I blame them. A lot of music has been feeling awfully safe lately.

But yeah, even SUMAC's Love in Shadow it is not.

Probably would still include it in my top 10 of the year though

Severian 12.14.2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gazpacho Gestapo

Shut the fuck up, floaty.

Severian 12.14.2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Probably would still include it in my top 10 of the year though

🤔

Yeah I might too. Lower rung, for sure. No. 9 or 10. But it might be in there.

Again, good album, just not a mindblower. For me, anyway.

Bytor Peltor 12.15.2018 04:48 AM

Nurse With Wound - Dark Drippings......a collection of raw sources,outtakes and alternate erosions of the NWW release - Dark Fat

floatingslowly 12.15.2018 05:23 AM

I've had the demos for this album for almost a decade, under the band name Carny [thanks, fortblower]. I can't tell you how excited and pleased that I am that it was finally released.

Another Paul Leary masterpiece.

ps: how can you fuckheads not love rico suave?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.15.2018 06:55 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.15.2018 07:50 AM

Severian 12.15.2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

It’s good, right?

I still can’t really believe that a one-man indie rock act form Seattle would be worth listening to in the 2010s, but this guys is prolific and stupid talented and he puts just the right amount and degree of slacker intensity into his multi-stanza opuses for it to hit a sweet spot.

I didn’t think re-recording an old bandcanp release would really work as a “new” album, but it does.

Severian 12.15.2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Fuck your false equivalence! That's not even apples and oranges you're comparing, it's apples and... malignant cysts.

You know, people are always talking about “apples and oranges,” but the thing is — apples and oranges are comparable by their very nature. They’re both fruit. They’re both sweet. It’s actually an important fundamental element of critical thought to consider the differences between things that are geberally similar.

Anyway... I think what I mean about K.D. Lange was, as the kids say, “Weird flex but ok.” And also that you shouldn’t criticize people for liking music that you think is empty, because you like music that other people think is empty.

It’s like malignant tumors and cysts, basically.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.15.2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
It’s good, right?

I still can’t really believe that a one-man indie rock act form Seattle would be worth listening to in the 2010s, but this guys is prolific and stupid talented and he puts just the right amount and degree of slacker intensity into his multi-stanza opuses for it to hit a sweet spot.

I didn’t think re-recording an old bandcanp release would really work as a “new” album, but it does.

Good enough for me to listen to despite being on this HUGE metal and shoegaze kick rn. Yes.

I'm also enjoying it more than I had originally expected. Either this year has just been unusually great for music, or I'm just paying more attention. It's like Daniel Johnston but by someone who isn't mentally ill. Love, love, love Stop Smoking (We Love You). That's brilliantly cheeky.

The Gazpacho Gestapo 12.15.2018 02:49 PM

Not a single nanosecond wasted. A perfect album.

The Gazpacho Gestapo 12.15.2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Really? You're that desperate for attention?

I just want you to love me, father.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.15.2018 03:53 PM

Bytor Peltor 12.15.2018 04:09 PM

Thanks for the tip! Such a great album and one I’ll be replacing from the flood. Wash Me Clean and Miss Chatelaine are personal favorites. Hard to believe it’s been 10 years since her last proper solo release.

Quote:

Not a single nanosecond wasted. A perfect album.

Severian 12.15.2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Good enough for me to listen to despite being on this HUGE metal and shoegaze kick rn. Yes.

I'm also enjoying it more than I had originally expected. Either this year has just been unusually great for music, or I'm just paying more attention. It's like Daniel Johnston but by someone who isn't mentally ill. Love, love, love Stop Smoking (We Love You). That's brilliantly cheeky.

Have you listened to Teens of Denial?

Good shit on there.

Like Guided by Voices only by someone who isn’t drunk.

Savage Clone 12.15.2018 11:26 PM

I opened for Agalloch once. They were most excellent.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.16.2018 12:26 AM

Haven't heard tens of denial

Playing a show w agalloch is soooooo badasss they're quickly becoming a new ffavorite

Severian 12.16.2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Haven't heard tens of denial

Playing a show w agalloch is soooooo badasss they're quickly becoming a new ffavorite

Check it out. “Drunk Drivers (Killer Whales)” and “Destroyed by Hippie Powers” and “Vincent” ... all just stupid good tracks.