Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How cool must have radio been without leaks on the internet? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31224)

summer 05.11.2009 04:57 AM

How cool must have radio been without leaks on the internet?

I know, this is a terribly flawed idea considering that the radio would probably only play certain bands, but think about how cool it must have been. I just decided to look up Depeche Mode's Violator on Wikipedia. Turns out the single for Personal Jesus was released a good 3 or 4 months before the actual album.

ANTICIPATION, man. Does anyone else think we could use this concept again, at least in some capacity? I would love it if bands were to like.. just release songs two or three at a time. No leaks to speak of, just music on the spot. Hype, real hype. Think of it, music listeners must have at one time had to waited for their music with bated breath. It may seem archaic now, but I think there is still a place for this sort of thing.

Better_Than_You 05.11.2009 10:15 AM

I can see that. And think how much cooler that would make the music underground. I read somewhere (maybe in rollingstone, maybe on here) about how mainstream and underground are starting to blend more and more together (shocker.) and a huge part of that is accessibility (even more shocking).

we should go back to making music elitest.
(i'm only half kidding)

PAULYBEE2656 05.11.2009 10:26 AM

i agree that the day of release effect has been numbed a bit....and i am guilty myself, but there has always been promo copies of albums even when there was double cassette recorders...... its just another meduim now.

[Sandbag] 05.11.2009 10:36 AM

I don't know.. radio here sucks, anyway.
I'm obsessed with 'the eternal' at the moment. I could have waited and be obsessed in one month (or two, considering that it's going to take a few more days until it gets to my shitty local record shop).. but yeah, in terms of personal enjoyment it doesn't affect me.

Danny Himself 05.11.2009 10:38 AM

I know what you mean. I like a long build up of 1 or 2 singles before an album. I think if you ignore leaks you can still feel the same way like it used to be. Vampire Weekend really hyped me up in 07 when they released that Mansard Roof single. Or Be Your Own Pet- they just released EPs for a couple years to tease before they landed with their debut album. That was amazing hype.

gmku 05.11.2009 11:09 AM

Radio mostly sucked when I was growing up in the 70s. Like today, it was dominated by the dumbass commercial stations that played to some imagined "popular" taste. The independents were hard to find, but what was there was good.

Yeah, I do remember anticipating things like crazy until the very day of the release. Unless you knew someone in the industry who had some special advance promo pressing or something, you were just in the dark. I remember scrounging for clues in all the magazines like Creem and Rolling Stone for anything at all about what upcoming releases sounded like. And then I'd haunt the record stores, because back then it was also hard to pin down exact dates of releases. You'd go into the record store and get told one thing one time, another thing another time, and even those guys were always just guessing.

terminal pharmacy 05.11.2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
Think of it, music listeners must have at one time had to waited for their music with bated breath. It may seem archaic now, but I think there is still a place for this sort of thing.

There is still a place cos i still do it.

And as Pauly said there were promo, bootlegs etc !

noisereductions 05.11.2009 11:56 AM

leaks suck.

Rob Instigator 05.11.2009 12:56 PM

the hey day of radio was late60's and early 70's when a DJ determined what he/she wanted to play, no programming, no bullshit rotation lists. radio stations could play a ray charles song, a hendrix song, a beatles song, an al green song, a hank william ssong, all back to back and no one was bothered by it.

atsonicpark 05.11.2009 12:59 PM

Hm. This thread has inspired me to go download the entire radio. This shit rules!!!!!!!!

Glice 05.11.2009 01:06 PM

I still listen to the radio. I'm listening to it right now, in fact. I think the thing is that the influence of internet leaks is immaterial - if you're 13, you get excited by the new release, because generally when you're younger, there's only 4 or 5 bands you get wet over.

I've said this before, but I think we're very lucky over here to have the concept of decent radio. Well, Radios 3 & 4 at least. There's still a Peel-vacuum, but you've still got people like Andy Kershaw and the Late Junction filling in for the grown-up side of Peel.

EVOLghost 05.11.2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the hey day of radio was late60's and early 70's when a DJ determined what he/she wanted to play, no programming, no bullshit rotation lists. radio stations could play a ray charles song, a hendrix song, a beatles song, an al green song, a hank william ssong, all back to back and no one was bothered by it.

I wish this still existed....I hate radio now and I try to avoid it sometimes because well it ends up being all teh same bullshit. I hear the same fucking bands everyday. I mean...there isn't a day where they don't play the same song at least 6 times in a 3-4 hour period. I can understand new releases MAYBE! a little...but when a song is like literally 10 years old it gets really boring. I mean ONe example is that I keep hearing the same fucking Pearl Jam songs. EVERY TIME it's something off of Ten. I like that album, but it's been out for a billion years already and yes....it did get kind of old.

sarramkrop 05.11.2009 03:06 PM

I think radio is better now than it's ever been because with the internet I can get to listen to good radio shows from anywhere in the world, and a lot of DJ's play the music they want to play more than they used to.

If anything, I listen to it even more now than when I was younger, when I would tape a lot of music off it, which I would then use as a taster for future purchases.

Now I record or download the shows on my hardrive, splice it up and make mixes of the bands I like, which I burn on cd's. Same thing, similar procedure, different format*. Fuck nostalgia.

*Sometimes on tape too.

Rob Instigator 05.11.2009 03:46 PM

that is not the same as having a great radio station in yr town that plays variety and whatever the DJ desires.

internet "radio" is not radio. you cannot go out in the middle of fucking nowhere and pick up internet radio with a portable transistor radio. you have to have a computer of some sort..

sarramkrop 05.11.2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

that is not the same as having a great radio station in yr town that plays variety and whatever the DJ desires.

internet "radio" is not radio. you cannot go out in the middle of fucking nowhere and pick up internet radio with a portable transistor radio. you have to have a computer of some sort..

That's not true. WFMU, for one, can be listened to in the NJ area. Also, the internet makes it easier for a person to listen to broadcasts from far away countries, in better quality, and from more independently-run radio stations. Isn't that what you were complaining about in your post above? Fuck nostalgia 2.

sarramkrop 05.11.2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

atsonicpark 05.12.2009 01:44 AM

old fogies

terminal pharmacy 05.12.2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
old fogies

i do wear an onion on my belt... it was after all the fashion of the time...

Danny Himself 05.12.2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
i do wear an onion on my belt... it was after all the fashion of the time...

Hahah great reference

"Gimme five bees for a quarter!"

dntrecords 05.12.2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
I know, this is a terribly flawed idea considering that the radio would probably only play certain bands, but think about how cool it must have been. I just decided to look up Depeche Mode's Violator on Wikipedia. Turns out the single for Personal Jesus was released a good 3 or 4 months before the actual album.

ANTICIPATION, man. Does anyone else think we could use this concept again, at least in some capacity? I would love it if bands were to like.. just release songs two or three at a time. No leaks to speak of, just music on the spot. Hype, real hype. Think of it, music listeners must have at one time had to waited for their music with bated breath. It may seem archaic now, but I think there is still a place for this sort of thing.

how young are you man? the internet has only been big for about 10 years...