Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which SY member is the most unique to you? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2149)

Laila 05.23.2006 08:55 PM

Which SY member is the most unique to you?

Please vote on which SY member you think is the most unique and tell why. I think Kim is the most unique cause she doesn't have the typical pretty female voice that you have to have in the business. From what i know about Thurston he seems a little generic to me, but a funny funny guy. Lee is mysterious and Steve is too quiet, but that's why people love him.

EMMAh 05.23.2006 09:00 PM

Kim, for what you said. Plus she's Kim, Kim is Kim.

schizophrenicroom 05.23.2006 09:15 PM

Steve.

I'd vote for any of them, but yeah. I'm currently digging Steve. He's the underdog.

TheDom 05.23.2006 09:16 PM

Harry Potter

finding nobody 05.23.2006 09:19 PM

i see the dom has been reading up...http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Youth

i vote kim because of the things lalia brought to my attention

umjammer atomsk 05.23.2006 09:21 PM

Yeah, kim is the most unique. The voice, blah blah etc. And she's married to the guy with no votes in this poll, opposites attract. Honestly, they're all great but kim does stand out the most.

HaydenAsche 05.23.2006 09:24 PM

I thought this was about the board. Laila is uniquely unintelligent.

marleypumpkin 05.23.2006 09:25 PM

I voted Thurston. Just because he's what all art should stand for.

HaydenAsche 05.23.2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
I voted Thurston. Just because he's what all art should stand for.

Hahaha. Profound.

marleypumpkin 05.23.2006 09:34 PM

I thought you'd get a kick out of that Hayden.

flophousefloozie 05.23.2006 10:02 PM

points for kim for being one of the guys, while at the same time, distinctly feminim. She has a very unique mind, and plays it soo cool.

acousticrock87 05.23.2006 10:18 PM

I think Thurston founded a very unique style, Ranaldo has some interesting inventions, and Steve is...the youngest, I guess, but Kim just kinda blows them out of the water in this category. Unique doesn't mean better.

SonikJesus 05.23.2006 10:22 PM

Lee's so cool.

luxinterior 05.24.2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Lee's so cool.

Agreed, and when he was younger he looked exactly like my uncle.

noumenal 05.24.2006 03:21 PM

"A glance at the uni- in unique will tell you that it has something to do with "one". Something unique stands alone. There is only one of it. Not some. Not a few. Not a couple. One! So, why is it that we hear so many people saying that such-and-such is "very unique"? A few weeks ago, we heard an art critic on the radio describing an exhibition. Having referred to one exhibit as "unique" he was compelled to characterize the next as "even more unique". What, in the name of Tiglath Pileser IV and his sacred choir of lisping bats, does "even more only one of it" mean?

The word unique belongs to a class of words called "absolutes". Other absolutes are infinite, dead and pregnant. The property which all these words share is that it is illogical to apply an adjective to them. Attempting to do so is called "qualifying an absolute". When we consider why the phrases "very infinite" and "slightly dead" sound silly we see that "qualifying an absolute" is not so much a grammatical error as it is a logical one. If it were merely a matter of grammar there could be a language in which it is permitted to qualify absolutes. This, however, is not the case; to say "very unique" is illogical in any language."

--From takeourword.com

Each is either unique or not unique. Technically, all four are unique. Everyone is unique. "Most unique" doesn't make any sense.

Trasher02 05.25.2006 05:00 AM

I voted for steve.
Best drummer ever and seriously underrated.

terminal pharmacy 05.25.2006 06:38 AM

they are all individually unique neing that they are individual so i may as well say they are all as average as each other

alyasa 05.25.2006 06:46 AM

I can't vote in this poll... If anything, each of the members of Sonic Youth, had originally been solo artists, the magnitude and importance of their work, the originality, creativity and indiviuality of each personality; would eventually led them to collaborate with each other, in an alternate dimension reality, where they would be a side project group called Buddha Rockers; and been so critically well-received; that they would inspire a music review website to start up and they would name it pitchfork.

fishmonkey 05.25.2006 07:11 AM

this might sound a little.... i dunno sad. i'm a tall lanky goofy dude, i had long shaggy hair but cut it all off, i love to go into incoherant rants about the state of Iraq and compere their troubles to the stitching in my jeans and top it all off like a ball of gelatinous pepper in a wendy house of horrors. i guess what i'm trying to say is i base my whole life on the whackyness of big T Moore, so as long as i've loved SY i've loved Thurston the most. My mate is a huge Lee fan, this creates great discussions down the local.."Thurston's better than Lee"..."no he's not!"... ect ect

holy-reverb!! 05.25.2006 06:36 PM

I cant choose, so i just clicked on steve because i have his setlist from the toronto show.