Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brian Jonestown Massacre (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2019)

IntoTheGroovey 05.19.2006 07:27 PM

Brian Jonestown Massacre

I just recently saw the film DiG! about the Brian Jonestown Massacre and Dandy Warhols and decided to check out some of BJM's music. I picked up Tepid Peppermint Wonderland (compilation) and it's great. Anybody else here like them? What are some other good albums?

PAULYBEE2656 05.20.2006 04:57 AM

dig is a great watch. brilliant film but alas, i like the bjm only a samll bit more than the dandy warhols and thats not much!

sonik life 05.20.2006 05:43 AM

Go to http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/mp3.html and Anton has just about all their albums there to download for free. Part of his keep music evil campaign.
They are all worth checking out.

screamingskull 05.20.2006 06:55 AM

yeah they are really great, ive seen both the dandys and the brian jonestown massacre live, and they both rocked but the BJM were better, they create this amazing wall of sound that make you feel like your on some wonderful drug. im seeing them again in june.

themawt71 05.20.2006 07:18 PM

yeah im with you paulybee-cant really stand either band dandys less than brian but that was one of the best rock docs ive ever seen.

whorefrost 05.21.2006 04:38 AM

i recorded dig off filmfour, think i will go watch it shortly...
other films i watched recently - idiots (great), Brick (decent)..

noisemachine 05.21.2006 02:34 PM

After I watched DiG! (great film, by the way) I went out and bought some Brian Jonestown CDs. Really cool stuff, but some of it is kind of repetitive (similar ideas and chord progessions in a lot of the songs). I would really love to see them live, though.

Style 05.21.2006 03:28 PM

Among my favorite bands. I too learned of them after watching dig. I mainly bought dig for the dandy warhols, but was glad to be introduced to the bjm.

I'd also love to see them live, but I would've loved to have seen the old lineup with matt and joel.

noisemachine 05.21.2006 03:52 PM

Just curious, but what exactly did Joel do? He just seemed like the charismatic groupie that fucked around with a tamborine on stage. From the movie, it didn't seem like he really contributed to the group musically.

sonic sphere 05.22.2006 06:38 AM

they are playin in manchester soon, should i check them out?

Style 05.23.2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisemachine
Just curious, but what exactly did Joel do? He just seemed like the charismatic groupie that fucked around with a tamborine on stage. From the movie, it didn't seem like he really contributed to the group musically.

yeah he was pretty much the personality on stage. Also he tried his hardest to keep the band from getting disfunctional.

whorefrost 05.23.2006 03:26 AM

cool film... not a fan of either of the bands featured at all to be honest...

screamingskull 05.23.2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere
they are playin in manchester soon, should i check them out?

definately, i saw them last year and they were awesome!!!!!, you get really die hard fans at their gigs who are always really happy to discuss their music for hours.

bytheriver 05.23.2006 07:45 AM

I like them, but surely conversations about their music would all be along the lines of 'that song sounds like one of the bands they copy' they have good tunes but not a single original idea.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.12.2006 02:02 AM

i recently discovered this band by accident
havent seen dig (im going to check it out)
i really really love the "Spacegirl and Other Favorites" album.

Cantankerous 12.12.2006 02:04 AM

i'm quite puzzled about the origin of their band name.

?????????

Norma J 12.12.2006 02:52 AM

The Brian Jonestown Massacre are fucking good. Anton Newcombe is a really good sonmgwriter.

And yes, Cantankerous, the name is referring to Brian Jones from the Stones. Anton has claimed he was the mystic talent of the band or something along the line, 'cause he played sitar and a bunch of instruments, as does Anton.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.12.2006 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
The Brian Jonestown Massacre are fucking good. Anton Newcombe is a really good sonmgwriter.

And yes, Cantankerous, the name is referring to Brian Jones from the Stones. Anton has claimed he was the mystic talent of the band or something along the line, 'cause he played sitar and a bunch of instruments, as does Anton.

i take it you are quite familiar with their sound...

recommend any other artists?

Norma J 12.12.2006 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
recommend any other artists?

That are similar to BJM? Not really, not that I can think of. They've got a really 60s/70s sound, so try alot of musicians from back then.

Pete from the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club was in the BJM. If you don;t own any of their albums, then get them, they're great, especially the last album is very BJM.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.12.2006 03:16 AM

i meant like, fairly new acts
90s and on
dead meadow kind of has that sound, you should check em out...

oh and i have all of the BRMC discography