Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mix Tapes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4287)

gmku 07.20.2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I'd go in on this, but I don't know if I could afford to go out mailing shit and stuff. How much d'you reckon it'll cost per tape (buying, mailing, etc)?

I spend $25 on a box of 10 high-bias tapes, but normal bias go for around half that at least, I think. You can pick up single tapes for a buck or two. I'm not sure about shipping but it can't be all that much.

Total cost per tape inc. shipping: probably under 5 bucks.

gmku 07.20.2006 02:19 PM

I assume we're making these non-SY? Since we're on this board, I assume we have enough SY stuff?

acousticrock87 07.20.2006 02:27 PM

I'm definitely not going to have a theme. I don't think I have enough unique material for that. It'll probably just be a song from each genre I like or something. I'll try to make it as varied as I can, I think.

And leaving out SY would probably be a good idea. Most of of have all the CDs, or have at least heard them. But if you want to throw your favorite song in, I don't think anyone will care, I suppose. I could really care less what I get.

gmku 07.20.2006 02:34 PM

I'm going to approach them like art projects, and just have fun with it, make a mix I think is cool, maybe try to do some cover art, or maybe not, send it along. Part of the fun will be getting reactions. I like the idea of reviewing them when we get them. Maybe we could post our reviews here.

sonicl 07.20.2006 03:01 PM

I'm having fun compiling this. I started off trying to compile a tape that flowed in some way, but self-indulgence has taken over now, and I'm just grabbing stuff and going "oh wow, I want to put that on!".

My apologies to the poor soul who gets mine...

gmku 07.20.2006 03:04 PM

No apologies, man. It is what it is.

acousticrock87 07.20.2006 03:07 PM

Hah I feel the same way. I was going to get some kind of logic to the flow, but failed.

sonicl 07.20.2006 03:08 PM

What's really wierd is that so far a lot of what I've put on the tape is exactly the same as I would have put on 15-20 years ago! Stand by somebody for a trip back in time...

gmku 07.20.2006 03:12 PM

Man, I can't believe you guys have started already. Of course, I'm stuck at work, or maybe I'd be doing the same. I put my tapes together late at night, after everyone's gone to bed. They have a nocturnal feel to them.

m^a(t)h 07.20.2006 03:15 PM

//////////////

DemonBox 07.20.2006 03:17 PM

I'm with ya. I love to make mix-tapes. And I'd love to share some norwegian 60s pop with whoever gets my tape. haha

Danny Himself 07.20.2006 05:02 PM

I just finished making mine. I might as well warn you all that I put NWA on it.

Also, I have a basic idea of the standard package to send to Pookie:

Mix Tape w/ sticker on stating your online name
£1 or $2 donation for shipping
Any other info you want to bundled in with the tape.

golden child 07.20.2006 05:05 PM

if we make multiple tapes, do we get multiple back?

HaydenAsche 07.20.2006 05:06 PM

Is this all done yet? I will make a tape and get all up in on this mix-tape business. Mine>Yours just so you know.

kthx

HaydenAsche 07.20.2006 05:07 PM

ALSO, last time we did this I sent out two tapes and got NOTHING in return. It was very disappointing.

acousticrock87 07.20.2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
if we make multiple tapes, do we get multiple back?

I suppose only if someone else does, too.

Danny Himself 07.20.2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
ALSO, last time we did this I sent out two tapes and got NOTHING in return. It was very disappointing.

Yeah, I hope the transactions all run smoothly. I'll be way pissed off if I get nothing in return for my impeccably tasteful tapes.

Pookie 07.20.2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Yeah, I hope the transactions all run smoothly. I'll be way pissed off if I get nothing in return for my impeccably tasteful tapes.

That's why the way Hip Priest suggested would be an advatage. You'd all send your tapes to me & I'd randomly distribute them to everybody else.

And Danny Himself's idea sounds reasonable:

"Also, I have a basic idea of the standard package to send:

Mix Tape w/ sticker on stating your online name
£1 or $2 donation for shipping
Any other info you want to bundled in with the tape"

Danny Himself 07.20.2006 05:34 PM

I only mentioned stickers because I have a nice little pack of flourescent stickers on my desk that I bought at borders. It's a nice idea though. I pretty much have everything I need to make a tape now. I might make a fresh one.

acousticrock87 07.20.2006 05:35 PM

Will sending it to/from England be more expensive?