Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that were dynamite but now stink. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14914)

Norma J 07.20.2007 10:05 PM

Bands that were dynamite but now stink.

For example I consider earlier Greenday stuff, stuff from when I was growing up like Insomniac are cool albums, but now suck big time.

Many bands are like this, I just heard a recent Greenday song on the radio today and thought how shit it was, hence the mention of them.

Sometimes it's unbarable to listen to a band if they stink so bad later in their careers.

pbradley 07.20.2007 11:08 PM

Never could stand Green Day. Even when they were all the rage back in the mid-90's. But that's just me.

The Flaming Lips used to do some cool shit and now blow. Tool.

I wonder whose going to be "punk" enough to say Sonic Youth first. :rolleyes:

terminal pharmacy 07.20.2007 11:13 PM

smashing pumpkins

pbradley 07.20.2007 11:51 PM

I believe Norma J's last sentence well describes my opinion of the Smashing Pumpkins.

k-krack 07.21.2007 12:36 AM

Hit the nail on the head with the Pumpkins.

Same thing with the Mars Volta. I barely listen to thenm now because of how ungood Amputechture is (it's like.. the worst album ever made... but it's pretty shit, especially coming off of two fantastic albums and before then, one of the best bands of all time (ATDI).

Dead-Air 07.21.2007 12:48 AM

Honestly, this thread is going to be a bit too easy to fill. I'd be much more itnterested in a thread of bands that are still great. A bit more to think about to fill that one.

Norma J 07.21.2007 04:32 AM

Yet you gave no 'answers'.

Kracker, I enjoy Amputechure more so than Frances the Mute. But then to be honest, I haven't given either of them the time of day they really deserve - especially the latter. I dug Deloused alot though at the time, have the double silver vinyl of it too. And for honary mention, Omars recent solo album is fantastic - check it out if you haven't already. I picked it up for $20 on vinyl and sure am glad I did.

youthoftomorrow 07.21.2007 05:02 AM

Metallica.

Pookie 07.21.2007 05:30 AM

Stiff Little Fingers
Dinosaur Jr
Mudhoney

ZEROpumpkins 07.21.2007 05:51 AM

Chili Peppers

atsonicpark 07.21.2007 07:19 AM

the mars travolta have always been shit. tremulant had half a good song on it.

uh... i guess for this thread i gotta vote for whirlwind heat.. they were never dynamite, but do rabbits wonder? is a great record!.. .and everything after that has been GOD FUCKING AWFUL.

pbradley 07.21.2007 07:59 AM

I agree with The Mars Volta, De-loused was great but the overly noisy-for-novelty Frances the Mute and the overly progy-for-novelty Amputechture left me ill. Seriously, who the fuck would seriously name an album Amputechture?

Torn Curtain 07.21.2007 08:09 AM

That's not "indie" but I don't care: U2
Beth Orton
The Stooges (in the studio at least)
Laura Veirs (Saltbreakers is a huge letdown compared to her previous works)
The Cure (after Wish)
Placebo (not really sure about this one LOL, maybe they always sucked)
Leonard Cohen (the muzak production of his latest works)
REM
Obvious ones: The Rolling Stones and Van Morrison since the mid-70s

pbradley 07.21.2007 08:17 AM

I've been replacing "beating a dead horse" with "Rolling Stones touring" for a couple years now.

screamingskull 07.21.2007 09:06 AM

The Foo Fighters (yes now they suck, but their first album was fantastic)
Hole (i liked everything up until Celebrity Skin, and everything Court's done since has been shit)
Smashing Pumpkins

Danny Himself 07.21.2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Hit the nail on the head with the Pumpkins.

Same thing with the Mars Volta. I barely listen to thenm now because of how ungood Amputechture is (it's like.. the worst album ever made... but it's pretty shit, especially coming off of two fantastic albums and before then, one of the best bands of all time (ATDI).

Every time you bring up the Mars Volta you remind of that show... damn. "I want his fucking head!". :D

SYRFox 07.21.2007 10:24 AM

Pixies! They were great before they reunited - pretty obvious though.

sellouteater 07.21.2007 10:34 AM

modest mouse the new shit with marr sucks

Iain 07.21.2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
Metallica.

What he said.

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening and And Justice For All are all killer records. The first record is ok and the rest is mostly shit.

pbradley 07.21.2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sellouteater
modest mouse the new shit with marr sucks

hm, I actually dig it.

"Parting of the Sensory," "Education," and "We've Got Everything" where highlights in my book

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Pixies! They were great before they reunited - pretty obvious though.

Fortunately there'll be no post-reunion album.