Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Severian 10.31.2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

damn damn damn....

This is getting a lot of love, but to me it’s pretty much Lightning Bolt with some more major chords.

Maybe I’m missing something/over-estimating their older stuff. Shrug.

Really badass album though, of course.

Bytor Peltor 11.01.2019 01:36 AM

Joke Harmonika - Killing Joke

From a series of “personal trades” sometime between 2007-2009

EVOLghost 11.01.2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

damn damn damn....

HAHAHA DUDE! I was listening to this last week...and Husker Don't is definitely a remix of the Buffy Theme.

EVOLghost 11.01.2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
This is getting a lot of love, but to me it’s pretty much Lightning Bolt with some more major chords.

Maybe I’m missing something/over-estimating their older stuff. Shrug.

Really badass album though, of course.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that....

Severian 11.01.2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Ain't nothin' wrong with that....

No, definitely not.

Lightning Bolt is tremendous

Bytor Peltor 11.02.2019 08:07 AM

This is lo-fi gold!

Girls On Fire - In My Blood

Antagon 11.02.2019 09:02 AM

Antagon 11.02.2019 12:49 PM

choc e-Claire 11.02.2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon

Every time I listen to that album, I realise just how good all of the deep cuts are on it.

The Soup Nazi 11.02.2019 03:03 PM

Preemptive strike note: the following opinion has nothing to do with whoever here has the opposite one. Unless they're mooks.

Good LORD do I hate Nine Inch Nails. Bland, watered-down, contrived, unfathomably overrated disgraceful applesauce misinterpretation of Reznor's claimed influences, compared to which they're basically Up With People.

Antagon 11.02.2019 03:51 PM

^

I'm gonna be completely honest, I could never really get into NIN. I was with someone today and it was suggested we could listen to some NIN, so I piped in Downward Spiral online knowing about its status and wanting to give it another shot. I think it's well-made, but it doesn't really move me in any significant way. I don't quite share your strong hatred for him (because I do see some of its appeal), but neither am I really stoked about his output. I guess it'll always be that sort of project I don't mind hearing somewhere in the background, but he'll probably never completely win me over. Oh well, I've tried.

The Soup Nazi 11.02.2019 06:56 PM

Who you gonna call? Trent! Reznor! Better than anything the sorry fucker's actually ever done.

Bytor Peltor 11.03.2019 09:27 AM

Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island

Severian 11.03.2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
^

I'm gonna be completely honest, I could never really get into NIN. I was with someone today and it was suggested we could listen to some NIN, so I piped in Downward Spiral online knowing about its status and wanting to give it another shot. I think it's well-made, but it doesn't really move me in any significant way. I don't quite share your strong hatred for him (because I do see some of its appeal), but neither am I really stoked about his output. I guess it'll always be that sort of project I don't mind hearing somewhere in the background, but he'll probably never completely win me over. Oh well, I've tried.

I feel like about 1/2 of Trent’s NIN output is excellent, almost unintentionally and despite all the goofiness. The other half is pretty missable, to be honest. But... the best NIN stuff is really quite classic to me. The peaks of PHM-Downward Spiral and the peaks of Fragile, some moments on 2000s stuff. Oh and the Perfect Drug.

But I get why it would be loathsome to some people and utterly cherished to others.

!@#$%! 11.03.2019 11:04 AM

NYCgaf16 11.03.2019 11:10 AM

A really cool album. Go check it out

Severian 11.03.2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16

A really cool album. Go check it out

This is musical ambien for me, I’m sorry. Just bores the unearthly piss out of me but glad you dig it.

choc e-Claire 11.03.2019 05:41 PM

Antagon 11.04.2019 06:40 PM

Just listened to the three tracks Have A Nice Life have released as singles this year. Both "Science Beat" and "Lords Of Tresserhorn" have an immersive dreamy quality to them, "Sea Of Worry" hasn't fully won me over yet. I'm looking forward to when the new album drops later this week though.

The Soup Nazi 11.04.2019 08:52 PM