Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Recommendations for THE BAND (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2068)

marleypumpkin 05.21.2006 06:03 PM

Recommendations for THE BAND

I'm wanting to start my collecting of albums of this group off right. & I'm wondering what you would recommend for an album for me to start w/?
Now, keep in mind, I'm looking for any suggestions. Live recordings, studio albums, etc. Just anything to get me started in the right dierction.

Thanks in advance

Sonic Life :)

krastian 05.21.2006 06:36 PM

My favorite of theirs (other than straight up Bob Dylan albums) is Before The Flood (it's a live Bob Dylan concert). Also, Music From Big Pink, The Band, and The Last Waltz. I haven't listened to any of there 90's stuff.

noisemachine 05.21.2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
My favorite of theirs (other than straight up Bob Dylan albums) is Before The Flood (it's a live Bob Dylan concert). Also, Music From Big Pink, The Band, and The Last Waltz. I haven't listened to any of there 90's stuff.

Wait, was Bob Dylan in The Band? Or what does he have to do with them?
I dont know much about them other than a greatest hits collection of theirs that I got a few years back. I like most of the songs, but it was never enough for me to explore their music much further.

marleypumpkin 05.21.2006 07:04 PM

^:
Bob Dylan collaborated w/ The Band, I believe. I'm new to this group as well, but I have seen several LP's w/ the group name as, Bob Dylan & The Band.
Those were mostly live albums.

-krastian-
thanks for the suggestions.

finding nobody 05.21.2006 07:22 PM

get 'the last waltz' concert film. it's really cool, i think it was the bands farewell concert, but its got tons of great artists on it. bob dylan, neil young, joni mitchell, muddy waters. to name a few
i've 'the basment tapes' by bob dylan and the band. the bands songs on the discs are alright, i need to listen to it more. but i could upload it for ya

krastian 05.21.2006 07:25 PM

No prob Bob. Mainly The Band was Bob Dylan's backing band starting on the 1965 tour....actually I don't think they really played on his albums now that I think about it, my mistake.

finding nobody 05.21.2006 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
No prob Bob. Mainly The Band was Bob Dylan's backing band starting on the 1965 tour....actually I don't think they really played on his albums now that I think about it, my mistake.

they played on 'planet waves'

hey alex 05.21.2006 07:32 PM

I have music from big pink. Got it for a quarter on vinyl. It's aight.

marleypumpkin 05.21.2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
get 'the last waltz' concert film. it's really cool, i think it was the bands farewell concert, but its got tons of great artists on it. bob dylan, neil young, joni mitchell, muddy waters. to name a few
i've 'the basment tapes' by bob dylan and the band. the bands songs on the discs are alright, i need to listen to it more. but i could upload it for ya

Ooh, I would very much appreciate an upload of that my good sir. Just send them to this email address: marleypumpkin@yahoo.com Thanks soo much for yr help

Sonic Life

strictlycommercial 05.22.2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
they played on 'planet waves'

And Robbie Robertson played guitar on Blonde on Blonde.