Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the other news (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=118544)

!@#$%! 10.02.2019 09:42 AM

what is the DUP going to do about the all-island irish regulations just proposed? shit a brick i assume?

i dont understand their letter from 24 minutes ago:

!@#$%! 10.03.2019 11:48 AM

so, may’s plan for a temporary irish backstop now belongs to boris?

demonrail666 10.03.2019 02:29 PM

Anyone who says they predicted what has happened over the last few weeks is a liar, whichever side of the argument they're on, but IMO, Boris must now know he can't get a deal because, regardless of party-lines, the majority of parliament are more interested in remaining in the EU full stop, than leaving with any kind of deal. So it looks to me like he's offering a token gesture of a deal that he knows will be rejected both by parliament and the EU in the hope that it runs the clock down to the 31st, and the EU itself rejects any request for an extension. That's possible but unlikely.

More likely is there'll be an extension, and then an election some time between November and January. Boris should, if he's sensible, ditch any bid for a deal and accept Farage's offer of a pact. That would see the Brexit Party targeting the majority of Labour seats which are unlikely ever to vote Tory under any circumstances but which voted Leave in the referendum, while standing down in those seats already held by the Tories, or any Lib ones that the Tories have a decent chance of winning.

Even if parliament votes no-deal off the table before the election, it won't count afterwards. So if that scenario plays out the way I think it could, I can see a no-deal Brexit by January and a majority Boris/Farage coalition government for at least as long as it takes Labour to finally move beyond Corbyn/Momentum. Although if Greta's right, we may well be extinct before that happens.

There's a million ifs and buts in all that, and I'd be as surprised as anyone if it plays out exactly like that, but it's how I see it.

!@#$%! 10.03.2019 02:51 PM

i’ve been out of the loop for the summer/early fall, so thanks for the catch-up

h8kurdt 10.03.2019 03:16 PM

A Johnson/Farage pact? Sweet baby Jesus of the orphanage!! In what world is that a good idea at all? We are talking about the same Farage, right? You're gonna have to enlighten me on this one.

!@#$%! 10.03.2019 03:28 PM

i found this about that

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ggression-pact

demonrail666 10.03.2019 05:19 PM

The only thing that'll really stop it happening is Boris's and Farage's egos, but their own parties supporters seem overwhelmingly in favour of a deal being struck, and if the extension happens and an election is called I'd be really surprised if they don't end up coming to some kind of arrangement. Certainly everyone i know who voted to leave is in favour of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
A Johnson/Farage pact? Sweet baby Jesus of the orphanage!! In what world is that a good idea at all? We are talking about the same Farage, right? You're gonna have to enlighten me on this one.

You're really asking the wrong person. You know my voting record on this (Leave in the referendum; Brexit Party in the last Euro elections) so why wouldn't I support a pact that could prevent another majority Remain parliament and see us finally leave the EU? I'm obviously not expecting you to agree with me and, to be honest, given our fundamental difference of opinion on this, I'd consider it a bit weird if you did.

!@#$%! 10.04.2019 08:59 AM

so what i understand from this is that leaving the eu takes precedence over all other considerations for leavers at this point.

but i just read in the news that boris will ask for an extension. lolwut? i thought he wanted to crash out!

eta: oh, it’s a law! he has to obey it. not too enthusiastically i assume.

diocletia 10.05.2019 06:57 AM

another extension would be great.

The meltdown from the Brexiteers would be spectacular.

The bitching and whining about "democracy" has been unreal from them -- another wee extension would be superb haha

h8kurdt 10.05.2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The only thing that'll really stop it happening is Boris's and Farage's egos, but their own parties supporters seem overwhelmingly in favour of a deal being struck, and if the extension happens and an election is called I'd be really surprised if they don't end up coming to some kind of arrangement. Certainly everyone i know who voted to leave is in favour of it.

You're really asking the wrong person. You know my voting record on this (Leave in the referendum; Brexit Party in the last Euro elections) so why wouldn't I support a pact that could prevent another majority Remain parliament and see us finally leave the EU? I'm obviously not expecting you to agree with me and, to be honest, given our fundamental difference of opinion on this, I'd consider it a bit weird if you did.

My problem is that the Brexit party is only based around one thing-leaving Europe. If there was a coalition and then Brexit happened then what? You honestly thing Farage would be a good person to have in a postion of power? Going back to his UKIP days he's shown himself to be the absolute worst kind of human being. Even just looking at the policies he pushed with UKIP shows that. The coalition argument is at best flawed, at worst outright bonkers.

Would you actually want a no deal brexit to go through just so you can be glad we're out? Even given all the warnings of how much harm it'd do to the country? That kind of logic blows my mind.

Funny thing for me is the hardliners who voted for Brexit certainly didn't vote for a no deal. Now the narrative has moved to where they're wanting it and making out it was the cunning plan all along.

demonrail666 10.05.2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

My problem is that the Brexit party is only based around one thing-leaving Europe. If there was a coalition and then Brexit happened then what? You honestly thing Farage would be a good person to have in a postion of power? Going back to his UKIP days he's shown himself to be the absolute worst kind of human being. Even just looking at the policies he pushed with UKIP shows that. The coalition argument is at best flawed, at worst outright bonkers.

I don't think it'd be a coalition in the sense you mean. More a solidarity agreement similar to the one the Cons have with the DUP.

Quote:

Would you actually want a no deal brexit to go through just so you can be glad we're out? Even given all the warnings of how much harm it'd do to the country? That kind of logic blows my mind.

I'd take a deal that seemed to be in the best interests of the country but none so far have been.

Quote:

Funny thing for me is the hardliners who voted for Brexit certainly didn't vote for a no deal.

Cameron, who set the referendum, said, and I quote, ‘What the British public will be voting for is to leave the EU and leave the single market.’

He didn't say we'd be voting to leave the EU and the single market, so long as we find a deal that parliament approves of.

The ballot itself was a simple choice between leave and reman. No mention of a deal.

I can't speak for others but I knew what I was voting for.

h8kurdt 10.11.2019 05:58 AM

Nigel Farage and the Brexit party have voted against a European parliament resolution calling for stronger EU action to counter election meddling and Russian disinformation.

consider me not surprised at all

!@#$%! 10.21.2019 09:51 AM

did boris just get may’d by bercow, who banned a revote?

h8kurdt 10.21.2019 09:56 AM

Looks like it. However, the leavers are saying he's gone above board and should be sacked off now as he's ignoring the "will of the people". Don't believe a word of what they say. Bercow was right to not have another vote when nothing had changed since the last vote.

Funnily enough I found an old newspaper from 2014 whilst I was decorating a house. Flicking through and it was nice to see not a single mention of brexit in it.

demonrail666 10.28.2019 03:55 AM

As the token 'leaver' on the board my problem with Bercow isn't that he's against the will of the people but that he shows a transparent bias in his dealings with Brexit while in a position that's meant to be impartial. We see this when he refers to precedent when it suits his agenda and disregards it when it doesn't. So he was right to reject the 2nd vote on Boris's deal but he's inconsistent. Also he's standing down at the end of the month so it's pointless calling for his sacking.

!@#$%! 10.30.2019 07:44 AM

so, as everyone knows, macron conceded, and after some wrangling now you get dec 12 elections, lol

predictions?

curious...

(last i saw, demonyo could see a corbyn win, and the economy crashing)

h8kurdt 10.30.2019 08:59 AM

And the end of days as we know it blah, blah, blah. Last elections everyone was predicting a conservative smash and the end of Labour, however it totally backfired on May. Don't see it happening this time round though.

Labour have a massive battle on their hands again with the media going on a full frontal assault against them. Again.

demonrail666 10.31.2019 09:52 AM

I think Swinson coming out to revoke article 50 robs Corbyn of a large bulk of remain voters, especially in their new heartland, the inner cities and university towns. Assuming this will be an election based on Leaving or Remaining I just don't see who Labour really appeals to now. Boris still has the problem of Farage but it seems from looking at a lot of pro-Leave media that he's now coming under increasing pressure from even the most hardline Brexiteers to strike some kind of non-aggression pact with the Tories, even if they don't particularly like Boris's deal. If they do I think Boris gets a majority, otherwise I can see a hung parliament. Either way I don't see any way Corbyn gets a majority and Swinson, who has no chance of getting a Lib majority, has made it clear she'll never go into coalition with him.

!@#$%! 10.31.2019 10:03 AM

oh, swinson is the liberal democrats! (like i said, i lost track)

i see news about the two main parties wanting to freeze her out of the debates!

i really would like to be able to catch up with all this right now...

demonrail666 10.31.2019 10:21 AM

The problem with making sense of this election is the main topic is such a divisive one, with each side thinking it has the high-ground over the other, represented by party leaders who are equally marmite. One thing's certain. It's gonna get really ugly.