Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The twenty greatest albums of the 00's so far, according to The Mighty SY Gossip. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24397)

SYRFox 08.14.2008 11:33 AM

The twenty greatest albums of the 00's so far, according to The Mighty SY Gossip.

Okay, here it finally comes!
So, the top is made by the points every album has got. As I said before, the #1 album in your list won 10 points, then the #2 won 9, etc. In case of a tie, I separated the albums by the number of persons that voted for them, then if it's still tied, by the number of albums by the same artist/band that were voted in by people. It's still tied at one point though, but that's not too important anyway.

So. Let's cut with that legal crap no one cares about, and let's go right to the point: the top!

(you'll notice that, unlike what the title announces, I show here the Top 35. Why, you ask? Because it's really, really, really a great top, and I thought it was worth the mention.)

Here we go.

----------

So, at number 35, we have the ambient shades of Stars of the Lid, And Their Refinement Of The Decline, their 2007 album

At number 34, we have the alt rock icon, mister Beck Hansen, with Sea Change, out by 2002

The 33rd position is occupied by the avant-garde composer Rhys Chatham, with his A Crimson Grail, for 400 electric guitars, released in 2007

At #32, we have the famous Radiohead, and their 2001 electro album: Amnesiac

SYRFox 08.14.2008 11:39 AM

What do we have then? Well, at number 31, the New York based Liars, with their first album, They Threw Us All In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top, out in 2002

At number 30, we have another Radiohead album, Hail To The Thief. That one was out by 2003.

We are now at number 29! And at number 29, we have the indie rock veterans Yo La Tengo, with their 2000 album And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out

Number 28 is dedicated to another indie rock band, though more folkish this time: Silver Jews, and their Tanglewood Numbers album, out in 2005

SYRFox 08.14.2008 11:46 AM

Let's go further, will we. What? You ask for more folk/rock? Well, there you got it, cause at #27 we have Conor Oberst's Bright Eyes, with the 2002 album Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground. Good job, Conor

Okay, and now you want more punky music. Then, see what you got at number 26: Fever To Tell, by Yeah Yeah Yeahs!

Now, next in line, at number 25, what do we have, you wonder? Well, we have The Microphones, and their 2001 album, The Glow Pt. 2

And then, at number 24, our first hip hop album: Madvillainy, by the MF DOOM and Madlib group, Madvillain.

SYRFox 08.14.2008 11:51 AM

They are crazy, they play fast, they are noise rockers from Providence: you got it, Lightning Bolt is at number 23, with their 2005 album Hypermagic Mountain

Then, we got another hip hop record at number 22: The Cold Vein, by NYC rappers of Cannibal Ox!

Okay. I think that like, right now, you're beginning to think that this top has a serious lack in electronic music. Well don't worry any longer, because at number 21, we have Autechre, with the 2001's Confield !

SYRFox 08.14.2008 11:54 AM

We now enter the top 20!

And at the 20th position, we got the Icelandic post-rockers of Sigur Rós with their 2002 Hopelandic release, entitled ( )

At #19, we have a band that has already been mentionned before, but... they evolved a bit between the two albums. They're from NYC, they have tribal drums and strange guitars: Liars, with Drum's Not Dead !

_slavo_ 08.14.2008 11:54 AM

this makes me feel like a TV show or something, with all that commentary and stuff. Anyways, good work on those ones, SyrFox, nice that you had the stamina to put all those together.

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 11:57 AM

This list has a lot of good stuff on it so far. Though I'm taking a guess that whatever is # 1 isn't better than that Stars of the Lid album. Anywho..

Really surprised Microphones placed on this list. Good band, but I don't see 'em get mentioned that often.

Glad Rhys Chatham's on here too.

SYRFox 08.14.2008 12:00 PM

Why did I cut at #19, you may want to know. That's not because I want the suspense to last - it's because next, we have the only, but HUGE tie on this top. We have no less than FOUR albums at #15 (and #16,#17,#18, you got it).

There they are:

Lift To Experience, with their 2001 album The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads

Another 2001 release: the hardcore of Converge, and their album Jane Doe

And yet another 2001 release, with the double album Leaves Turn Inside You, by Unwound

Finally, the dark drone of Double Leopards is also there, with their album Halve Maen

(that's a shame, I could not find a bigger picture)

Glice 08.14.2008 12:01 PM

Cold Vein this century? That is definitely one of those records I'd vote for after the votes are announced but wouldn't think of before. I suspect that's going to be the case a few more times.

batreleaser 08.14.2008 12:05 PM

definitley not bad so far. some terrible stuff (bright eyes, sigur ros), but also some amazing stuff thats quite surprising to see (stars of the lid, autechre, lightning bolt, double leapords, converge, madvillain)

SYRFox 08.14.2008 12:07 PM

It's becoming serious now...

At number 14, we have the alt rock/country/folk whatever Wilco and their 2004 release, A Ghost Is Born

Then, we got, at number 13, Modest Mouse and their 2000-released album, The Moon & Antartica

At the 12th position, there is Animal Collective, with the experimental pop album Feels, out by 2005

And at number 11, a record that is probably going to surprise you all: Is This It?, by The Strokes!

Rob Instigator 08.14.2008 12:07 PM

this will be a great thread for me

"what albums have you not heard rob instigator?" and a nice shopping list.

Glice 08.14.2008 12:09 PM

The Strokes! Fair play voters, it's a mint album, in spite of their now-ubiquity.

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 12:10 PM

The Strokes are terrible. I didn't even know anyone liked them on here! And even if someone at some point did like them, I can't see them ever wanting to listen to that album again... I'm not bitching, I just think that is a huge fucking shock.

...um.. anyway, really surprised to see Double Leopards actually. Not a bad surprise though.

SYRFox 08.14.2008 12:12 PM

Seems like we're now in the top 10, eh!
Here we go...

At number 10, we have another electronica album: Geogaddi, released in 2002 by Boards Of Canada!

Then, at #9, one of the most recent records of this top: out in 2007, it's Panda Bear's Person Pitch !

Next, at number 8, we have the Japanese sludge metal of Boris, with the 2000 album Flood

And at number 7, what we do have is the legendary Fugazi, and their album The Argument, released in 2001

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 12:14 PM

FLOOD! \nn/

_slavo_ 08.14.2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The Strokes are terrible. I didn't even know anyone liked them on here! And even if someone at some point did like them, I can't see them ever wanting to listen to that album again... I'm not bitching, I just think that is a huge fucking shock.

I liked that first album pretty much too. Nice songs, catchy hooks, good album.

SYRFox 08.14.2008 12:17 PM

Animal Collective has already been mentionned for their Feels, and then Panda Bear got mention for Person Pitch, but that's not all: at 6, Animal Collective is present, with the freak folk of Sung Tongs!

Another electronic album is ranked at 5: Endless Summer, by the Austrian Fennesz !

Guess what we have then? Remember where we're all on? Yep that's right, at 4, is Murray Street by Sonic Youth !

And now, for the top 3...

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 12:18 PM

WOW! Fennesz is great! I'm really proud of everyone for voting for that!

GravitySlips 08.14.2008 12:19 PM

i like the album cover, never heard Fennesz though. what's that like?