Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   why is Kim not playing bass on the songs she sings (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10609)

Androol 02.17.2007 06:02 AM

why is Kim not playing bass on the songs she sings

i heard it was just so she could dance around and stuff

SYRFox 02.17.2007 06:28 AM

Yeah, that's the reason

silverfreepress (sdasher) 02.17.2007 06:45 AM

A lot of the songs are performed as double bass songs, sometimes its gtr,bass,gtr,gtr sometimes its gtr,bass,vx,gtr.

Green Magnesium 02.17.2007 08:44 AM

I don't wanna come off as an ass, which I may, but I don't see why it was entirely necessary to include Mark Ibold on this tour. Not to slight him, I'm a fan of Pavement, and I nearly shit myself when he made his guest appearances on STRANGERS WITH CANDY, but why do the Youth need him exactly? Is it really necessary for any of their songs to have a double-bass line? They did just fine back in the day with Thurston on bass and Lee on guitar, while Kim did her own thing.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 02.17.2007 10:43 AM

Its a big transition for a band to go from a four piece to a five piece on the road and for a band then to go back to a four piece. Could be after Jim decided to leave, Sonic knew they had tours coming up and had grown comfortable with the 5 piece line up they decided to stay with it. (Could be they retained MI for x amount of shows/maybe its looser than that)
Mark and Jim play/played different roles as the # 5 but its stil interesting in the history of the band I think.

king_buzzo 02.17.2007 11:01 AM

because my stupid call of duty 2 is not working

TheMadcapLaughs 02.17.2007 11:11 AM

also I think Kim is starting to have arthritis problems with her fingers or something. the bass is a beast of an instrument.

k-krack 02.17.2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
also I think Kim is starting to have arthritis problems with her fingers or something. the bass is a beast of an instrument.

I do beleve she has Carpel Tunnel. If you had Carpel Tunnel, (threadmaker) I don't think you'd be playing bass at all.

ZEROpumpkins 02.17.2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
I don't wanna come off as an ass, which I may, but I don't see why it was entirely necessary to include Mark Ibold on this tour. Not to slight him, I'm a fan of Pavement, and I nearly shit myself when he made his guest appearances on STRANGERS WITH CANDY, but why do the Youth need him exactly? Is it really necessary for any of their songs to have a double-bass line? They did just fine back in the day with Thurston on bass and Lee on guitar, while Kim did her own thing.

Haha, when they were on tour and I saw them, I didn't know who Mark Ibold was. I've felt stupid about it ever since I got into Pavement.

PAULYBEE2656 02.18.2007 11:03 AM

erm guys. kim is suffering with generative arthritis in her wrists. that is the main reason why jim ws taken on board to lessen the bass playing duties on kim. (basses are heavy!!). when jim decided to leave for filmland, they recruited friend and ex free kitten man mark the ibold in fo the same purposes. it also gives kim, and the band, a bit more freedom........

lets not slag em off for making it easier on themselves! 25 years is a long time in any job!

flophousefloozie 02.18.2007 03:16 PM

Actually she has chronic tendonitis. Not that it matters really...

Rob Instigator 02.19.2007 09:45 AM

paulybee and flophouse floozie have it right.

Kim has said that after 25 years of playing "punk rock bass" (in her words) her hands and fingers are pretty roughed up. Having Ibold play bass when kim sings frees her up to front the band and to rock aND TO DANCE AND TO GIVE sonic youth eternal life.

Long live sonic youth

SONIC LIFE!

ZEROpumpkins 02.20.2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
paulybee and flophouse floozie have it right.

Kim has said that after 25 years of playing "punk rock bass" (in her words) her hands and fingers are pretty roughed up. Having Ibold play bass when kim sings frees her up to front the band and to rock aND TO DANCE AND TO GIVE sonic youth eternal life.

Long live sonic youth

SONIC LIFE!

yES I SECOND that.

guitarpro 02.20.2007 03:05 AM

Hey I'm all for watchin Kim dance about but I'd like to see her rock that bass more.