Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone else think that The Eternal sounds a little dull (sonically)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34718)

sculley 09.17.2009 06:29 PM

Anyone else think that The Eternal sounds a little dull (sonically)?

The mix sounds like it is lacking in treble. Anyone else noticing this? Compare it to other recordings and you may see what I mean.

GeneticKiss 09.17.2009 08:40 PM

I felt that way about Rather Ripped, but I don't see how someone could think that about The Eternal.

Rob Instigator 09.17.2009 09:02 PM

the vinyl sounds full and rich. real lush even. have not heard the cd

Concrete Abutments 09.17.2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculley
The mix sounds like it is lacking in treble. Anyone else noticing this? Compare it to other recordings and you may see what I mean.

Yup I've had a problem with the production since day 1. They should keep doing what they did with Sonic Nurse forever and ever. That was the best sounding album in a long time.

Chris Lawrence 09.18.2009 12:02 AM

i know what you mean but can't quite express it. somebody else w/ a similar opinion wondered if the 'turn up the treble' line in sacred trickster was a literal suggestion. i will say that it sounds great w/ headphones and i can pick out everyone's part beautifully. sometimes it bothers me that they insist on sticking to the same 'lee on left, kim in the middle, thurston in the right' mix but with headphones it's quite luscious. yes, luscious.

am eagerly anticipating hearing that $9 vinyl though...mmm...

terminal pharmacy 09.18.2009 12:54 AM

maybe it is your ears lacking in treble because there is no lack on it on my eternal cd.

mysonichaircut 09.18.2009 08:41 AM

no. the treble is crisp and clear, it evan bites your ear when you turn it up. sound engeneering is very good, though the music itself is shit. i guess, that is why you feel a little dull listening to it. and the mp3s are dull, maybe thats your problem.

Concrete Abutments 09.18.2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
no. the treble is crisp and clear, it evan bites your ear when you turn it up. sound engeneering is very good, though the music itself is shit. i guess, that is why you feel a little dull listening to it. and the mp3s are dull, maybe thats your problem.

MP3'S MUST DIE! :eek: FLAC or nothing at all!

Chris Lawrence 09.18.2009 08:57 AM

the music is great. sound is a little boxy. there, i tried to describe it. it still sounds great, it's just an observation (that a lot of people seem to have).

Concrete Abutments 09.18.2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
the music is great. sound is a little boxy. there, i tried to describe it. it still sounds great, it's just an observation (that a lot of people seem to have).

Boxy! That's it Chris! I haven't been able to come up with an adjective for it at all and that pretty much says it.

mysonichaircut 09.18.2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Boxy! That's it Chris! I haven't been able to come up with an adjective for it at all and that pretty much says it.

but boxy fits to that music. thats exactly what they wanted to do this time, i guess. thats not any "lack of something" - if you like the music. i dont like it. just wanted to say it again :-)

jennthebenn 09.18.2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
i will say that it sounds great w/ headphones and i can pick out everyone's part beautifully.

This.

Pantophobia raved to me about how good it sounded in his car, too. I don't
drive, so I can't quite vouch.

hevusa 09.18.2009 11:51 AM

A bit over compressed perhaps?

notyourfiend 09.18.2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the vinyl sounds full and rich. real lush even. have not heard the cd

i really need to start buying all my shit on vinyl. the sound quality is always better.

Rob Instigator 09.18.2009 02:08 PM

i think if anything it is because jim O' rourke had pre-set all the settings on the mixing board.

hahahahah!

mysonichaircut 09.18.2009 03:24 PM

i've only listened to it with headphones yet - so thats probably why i didnt hear that. but right, thats a big difference sometimes.

Keeping It Simple 09.18.2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculley

Isn't that the sound engineer's fault?

sculley 09.18.2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
maybe it is your ears lacking in treble because there is no lack on it on my eternal cd.

No, it's not that. I've compared it to several other recordings/artists. It's definitely the mix.

sculley 09.18.2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut

it's uncompressed audio that I'm listening to.

Keeping It Simple 09.18.2009 06:23 PM

This sounds serious as the guys who work in the studio could make a brilliant recording session by a band sound rubbish.