Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   No, LIARS appreciation thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=61354)

E. Noisefield 10.26.2011 08:53 PM

No, LIARS appreciation thread

Interpol was a flash in the pan. Post-punk my ass.

Liars were probably the most innovative post-punk band of that era. I hope they continue to make kickass, devious, gangly, twisted po-post-punk for a long, long time.

Their first record was insanity. Their follow-up was insanity in comparison to insanity, and Drum's Not Dead is one of the best albums of the decade and possibly ever. Can you believe these guys were playing big time festivals at the same time Avril Lavigne was doing whatever she did back then (I didn't have a TV for about ten years)?!?

Liars are where it's at, and hopefully where it's going. Adventurous and potentially staggering. Put on "This Dust Makes that Mud" at an acid party sometime and see what happens.

Genteel Death 10.27.2011 01:09 AM

Where were you in 2006?

_slavo_ 10.27.2011 01:22 AM

Another teenager spreading wisdom.

ann ashtray 10.27.2011 01:36 AM

LIARS were awful. Absolutely nothing new or exciting.

Genteel Death 10.27.2011 02:36 AM

My dad writes for Pitchfork. I'm the only girl in my class who likes Liars. I am relaxed.

nicfit 10.27.2011 02:43 AM

I love Liars, and I absolutely loved their live set when I got to see them a couple years ago, it was like listening to 4 different concerts in the same night, and that's a compliment.

ann ashtray 10.27.2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Maybe they're just too complex for you Mr. Macon GA. Hey, do you know that I live 2 hours away from you? Let's hang out and have a Sonic Youth farewell party. I'll bring the beer and you bring the....beer.

womp, womp, womp.

Atlanta? Athens? Bring all the beer you'd like.

:)

knox 10.27.2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I love Liars, and I absolutely loved their live set when I got to see them a couple years ago, it was like listening to 4 different concerts in the same night, and that's a compliment.

Yeah I like Liars.

pad_023 10.27.2011 08:18 AM

Liars are pretty cool, they're a good live band.

I saw them in Brighton last year and there were about 15 people there. It was still awesome though.

the ikara cult 10.27.2011 08:21 AM

Album number 1 is good fun but nothing special
Album number 2 and Album number 3 are gold
Album number 4 was a bit too rockist after that, they were going back to an embryonic state that they'd done well to grow out of. I remember reading it was a conscious decision to simplify their sound and i think it backfired.
I havent heard Sisterworld

E. Noisefield 10.27.2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Another teenager spreading wisdom.

Teenager? I can honestly say: I wish.

E. Noisefield 10.27.2011 01:08 PM

Sisterworld's not their best, but it holds interest and has a lot of good moments. I think they're definitely the kind of band that could make a mindfucking mid-career album and surprise naysayers.

Oh, and in 2006 I was listening to Drum's Not Dead.

noisereductions 10.27.2011 01:25 PM

I like Liars, but I listen to Avril more.

knox 10.28.2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Teenager? I can honestly say: I wish.

me too.
for you.