Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chelsea Light Moving (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79085)

stu666 02.27.2013 06:35 PM

Thursday, 14 March 2013

KEXP presents a LIVE performance with Chelsea Light Moving!

Performing from SXSW in Austin, TX at Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop! If you'll be in the area, we invite you to attend the session at 1:30 PM (CST). This event is FREE, all ages, and open to the public. No badge required!

We'll be broadcasting the session LIVE at 11:30 AM (PST)
on 90.3 FM in Seattle and streaming worldwide at http://KEXP.ORG/

More info: http://blog.kexp.org/sxsw-2013/

stu666 02.28.2013 07:06 PM

Alighted

Empires Of Time

LIP

Moshe 03.01.2013 01:24 AM

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/1...4146113?ticker

halgreen 03.01.2013 02:19 AM

That reviewer didn't research that well it all. I know Pitchfork is scorned but their reviewer wrote a nice write-up.
The album sounds great too!

tesla69 03.01.2013 09:24 AM

This video is private.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

nancykitten 03.01.2013 01:04 PM

The album is INCREDIBLE.

The Pitchfork review is hilariously rubbish. They almost imply Thurston is too old to be making this kind of music. If a band of 20 year olds made this record it'd get a 9.5.

stu666 03.01.2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
This video is private.?

I can see them ok...

greedrex 03.01.2013 01:22 PM

Frank o hara is very reminiscent of Ono Soul.

greedrex 03.01.2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

ok just got my arse spanked really hard. It hurts. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thx Stu! Utmost respect Thurston. Just...keep on.....

greedrex 03.01.2013 01:34 PM

Alighted is such an awesome track. Jeeez . Fuckballs!!!!

EVOLghost 03.01.2013 03:35 PM

Received my LP today :D

The Soup Nazi 03.01.2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/1...4146113?ticker

Thurston Moore, in case you didn’t know, is the Quentin Tarantino of alt-rock (stick with me on this...) [...]

Moore’s nods to rock ‘n’ roll history are never larcenous or derivative.

Well, which is it?

zelocia 03.02.2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
and who's ever paid attention to Thurston's lyrics anyway?

I have. Except for his lyrics on Confusion, most of BMR, ATL, NYCG&F, Rather Ripped and The Eternal, I know all of his Sonic Youth songs by heart. As far as his solo releases, I know most of Psychic Hearts except Tranquilizer and Female Cop. And I know all of Trees except for Fri/End, and all of Demolished Thoughts.

EVOLghost 03.02.2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
^^ok, maybe i was being a little bit on the rough side. i enjoy his lyrics, i just don't take that much thought into them.

I barely pay any attention to lyrics period. That's probably why I love T's songs so much....

RanaldoNecro 03.02.2013 05:28 PM

This reminds me quite a bit of Psychic Hearts because it is so sparse

guest 03.02.2013 06:51 PM

I've found that while I don't actively listen for his lyrics, when I do pick some up by chance (as on Unmade Bed, beautiful song) I appreciate them, which is coming from someone who really can't be fucked listening to words. I've found that his lyrics from Washing Machine to Sonic Nurse are exponentially better than anywhere else in the SY discography, and the words on Demolished Thoughts are certainly more beautifully poetic and heartfelt than anything else he's done. having said that, I'm really not expecting shit from CLM. I'd assumed that it was just his bullshit wannabe beat poet crap.

what is the consensus on this? I'm afraid to listen as it really reeks of a midlife-crisis kind of record. it just seems ridiculous to have a 50+ year old man making hardcore punk songs. the vibe I got from the singles was a beefed-up Psychic Hearts, which is my least favourite solo album of his.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.03.2013 12:58 AM

Just came back from the show. There's something cool about going to see your favorite musician in the world, and as you walk into the venue, he's sitting down right in front of you eating dinner.

The show was good, but I'm not yet sure how I feel about the CLM songs overall. A few of them were very good, though. Short show, too. Maybe an hour? Only encore was "Staring Statues."

Thurston's banter and storytelling were particularly funny tonight. Very good vibe, overall. I also found it funny that Thurston was wearing a CLM t-shirt. And Talk Normal was an excellent opening act.

zelocia 03.03.2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
There's something cool about going to see your favorite musician in the world, and as you walk into the venue, he's sitting down right in front of you eating dinner.

I agree.

I enjoy the CLM material. The two new songs he played were kind of short and stupid. They were called "No Go" and "Sunday Stage." There was another song on the set list after "Staring Statues." It was "Pretty Bad" and they didn't play it. The show was too short. Even if they had bothered to play "Pretty Bad," it still would have been too short.

I thought it was cute that he was wearing a CLM tee.

Overall the show for me was kind of just okay. In the beginning there were several minutes of technical difficulties with his tuning pedal, which was kind of annoying.

I liked the solo show he did on February 2nd, 2012 much more than this one. Probably because the material he played then was better.

RanaldoNecro 03.03.2013 11:24 AM

anyone have sxsw dates?

Magic Wheel Memory 03.03.2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelocia
In the beginning there were several minutes of technical difficulties with his tuning pedal, which was kind of annoying.

I actually got a kick out of that, and Thurston's reaction to it. He sort of apologized to the audience, but didn't seem too fazed by it.

zelocia 03.03.2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

I actually got a kick out of that, and Thurston's reaction to it. He sort of apologized to the audience, but didn't seem too fazed by it.

I admit it was cute but it killed my anticipation just a little bit.

Moshe 03.04.2013 12:58 AM

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...-light-moving/

jlnpgt 03.05.2013 02:40 AM

does anyone know why on Amazon they mention a CD coming with the LP ? Is that a mistake and they actually mean 7" ?

zelocia 03.05.2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlnpgt
does anyone know why on Amazon they mention a CD coming with the LP ? Is that a mistake and they actually mean 7" ?

Definitely a mistake. The LP comes with a 7 inch.

RanaldoNecro 03.05.2013 07:44 PM

The two extra tracks are on Itunes for single download

Concrete Abutments 03.06.2013 10:01 AM

One question and one comment.

Personally I really love the album but the production is bad. Too boomy sounding and waaay over loud like everything nowadays. Not as brickwalled as a lot of stuff but still way off the dynamic range it should be at. I put it through my sound lab and removed that mid-range boomyness, declipped the peaks that are too loud, chopped off that 30 seconds of silence after "Frank O'Hara Hit" and rearranged the track order with "Alighted" more toward the end. MUCH BETTER!

Heavenmetal
Sleeping Where I Fall
Burroughs
Empires Of Time
Groovy & Linda
Lip
Frank O'Hara Hit
Alighted
Mohawk
Communist Eyes

Now, does anybody know who's chatting about the "...mellow scene" etc. inbetween "Empires Of Time" and "Groovy & Linda?"

Sonic Youth 37 03.06.2013 11:42 AM

A few shots from Asheville

Instore:

Show:

At the Instore, they had mic difficulties and proceeded to do a noise jam for like 10 minutes, then Thurston gave some little kid his guitar and let him bash on it while he made noise into the broken mic.

EVOLghost 03.06.2013 12:28 PM

good stuffs yo.

Moshe 03.06.2013 12:45 PM

CHELSEA LIGHT MOVING DATES

Mon-Mar-04 Charlottesville, VA The Southern
Tue-Mar-05 Asheville, NC Grey Eagle
Wed-Mar-06 Raleigh, NC Kings Barcade
Thu-Mar-07 Savannah, GA Savannah Stopover
Fri-Mar-08 Atlanta, GA The Earl

Sun-Mar-10 Denton, TX 35 Denton
Mon-Mar-11 Austin, TX Sonos Studio @ SXSW
Tue-Mar-12 Austin, TX QUEUE APP SXSW Day party @ The Mohawk
Tue-Mar-12 San Antonio, TX The Korova (The Big Spill Festival 2013)
Wed-Mar-13 Austin, TX Consequence of Sound's Cosigns II @ The Parish
Thu-Mar-14 Austin, TX Scoot Inn (Thrasher & Converse SXSW 2013 - Death Match) (FREE SHOW)
Fri-Mar-15 Austin, TX Ground Control Touring SXSW Showcase at House of Vans @ The Mohawk
Fri-Mar-15 Austin, TX Rolling Stone's Rock Room day party @ La Zona Rosa
Tue-Mar-19 Los Angeles, CA Echoplex
Wed-Mar-20 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall

Fri-Mar-22 Portland, OR Doug Fir
Sat-Mar-23 Seattle, WA Neumo's

Wed-Mar-27 Minneapolis, MN Triple Rock
Thu-Mar-28 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon
Fri-Mar-29 Chicago, IL Empty Bottle
Sat-Mar-30 Detroit, MI Magic Stick
Sun-Mar-31 Toronto, ONT Lee's Palace
Tue-Apr-02 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Smalls
Wed-Apr-03 Philadelphia, PA Union Transfer
Thu-Apr-04 Washington, DC Black Cat
Fri-Apr-05 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom
Sat-Apr-06 Hartford, CT Arch Street Tavern
Sun-Apr-07 Boston, MA The Sinclair
Wed-May-15 Hudson, NY Club Helsinki
Thu-May-16 Burlington, VT Signal Kitchen
Fri-May-17 Victoriaville, QC Festival International de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville

zelocia 03.06.2013 01:22 PM

To go or not to go to the show in Hudson, that is the question... glad they added more dates though.

The Soup Nazi 03.06.2013 04:59 PM

From Allmusic.com:

Quote:

review

by Fred Thomas

The end of Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore's 27-year marriage left Sonic Youth with an uncertain future, and the four compulsively creative members of the band lacking one of their largest outlets for sound. While none of the players had ever been short of side projects, news of the formation of Chelsea Light Moving seemed especially weighty. The first Thurston-fronted rock band in a similar mold as the recently filed away Sonic Youth could either fill the substantial void left by the legendary guitar mutilators or follow Moore's antagonistic noisy tendencies into messy, self-indulgent disappointment. The quartet's self-titled debut of what they've coined as "Burroughs rock" does neither, however. Tracks like "Groovy & Linda" and "Frank O' Hara Hit" rely on the same signature marriage of dissonance and obscure, cloudy-headed pop in Sonic Youth's more aimlessly wandering moments on albums like Washing Machine and Murray Street. Thurston's bohemian poetry scene lyrics are also in rare form, with songs like album opener "Heavenmetal" finding him spouting surreal collaged lines that evoke both heartbreak and joy over one of the album's more subdued guitar patterns. Chelsea Light Moving tend toward heavier zones than most of Moore's rock-based output. Rather than stretching out into extensive chiming guitar meditations, tracks like the blistering "Alighted" sound sludgy, depraved, and listlessly angry. On songs like these a closer parallel could be drawn to Bleach-era Nirvana or the Melvins albums that inspired it than any Sonic Youth material. While Moore's new group is clearly the sound of a band in a room rocking out, fronted by one of America's more legendary noise rock figures, it becomes apparent quickly that the chemistry and interplay between the four members is what made Sonic Youth's sound so densely dreamy and lovingly damaged. Chelsea Light Moving finds Moore in a mode only somewhat removed from his more rock-oriented solo albums, certainly digging in to the wilder side of his multifaceted approach to sound, but stopping before spiraling into grating or overly self-aware histrionics. Chelsea Light Moving doesn't fill the still-warm shoes of Sonic Youth, but it isn't meant to. The album is fun, huge, and pleasantly confused (as evidenced in part by the out-of-place Germs cover that closes the album) but ultimately just another chapter in Moore's lifelong exploration of sound, poetry, and the darkest corners of American subcultures he helped build, and continues to add to.

RanaldoNecro 03.06.2013 06:01 PM

thx moshe for sxsw dates

Magic Wheel Memory 03.06.2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Too boomy sounding and waaay over loud like everything nowadays.

This is one of my favorite aspects of the record. I have to believe the clipping was intentional. I guess it's just a question of taste.

Concrete Abutments 03.06.2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

This is one of my favorite aspects of the record. I have to believe the clipping was intentional. I guess it's just a question of taste.

Yeah I think they definitely wanted it that way. It's just me. :) I actually had the same problem with The Eternal! I never really attempted to adjust it though. All my own ears.

RanaldoNecro 03.06.2013 10:27 PM

I can't notice this stuff anymore....i'm saturated

scott v 03.07.2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
got my tickets for march 31

May I ask how/where you got tix? I want to see them in Toronto, I went on ticketmaster.ca (Canada) and didn't see tix available... I'm in Buffalo, so i can't really simply walk into Soundscapes or Rotate This to get them unless I make a seperate trip up.

_tunic_ 03.07.2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
May I ask how/where you got tix? I want to see them in Toronto, I went on ticketmaster.ca (Canada) and didn't see tix available... I'm in Buffalo, so i can't really simply walk into Soundscapes or Rotate This to get them unless I make a seperate trip up.

here's a link
http://www.ticketfly.com/event/20871...oving-toronto/

never heard of ticketfly so don't yell at me if it's not legit :) It's mentioned on the venue site

pad_023 03.07.2013 01:25 PM

Really like some parts of this record, some parts I'm not so sure of especially Lip which sounds a bit shit.

The Soup Nazi 03.07.2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

The album is fun, huge, and pleasantly confused (as evidenced in part by the out-of-place Germs cover that closes the album)

How come nobody's talking about this Germs cover? I mean, I'm not because unfortunately I haven't yet listened to the album, but hey...

RanaldoNecro 03.07.2013 04:33 PM

Lip is more about harnessing a spirit than a successful song

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad_023
Really like some parts of this record, some parts I'm not so sure of especially Lip which sounds a bit shit.