Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I am on the internet ALL THE TIME! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=70298)

Genteel Death 01.24.2012 03:33 PM

I am on the internet ALL THE TIME!

Let's laugh at the times when people used to insult other people on the internet forums because they reckoned they didn't have a life by being online all the time. With smartphones not only you don't have to read the free papers you used to grab from the tube station anymore, but now you can connect wherever you are, even from remote pub toilets in north London.

SpaceCadetHayden 01.24.2012 03:42 PM

internet service in a psych ward

floatingslowly 01.24.2012 03:46 PM

Welcome to My World, which is to say, five years ago.

Genteel Death 01.24.2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
internet service in a psych ward

I have been in a hospital where you could insert a 50p coin into a monitor hanging over your bed and connect to wi-fi internet. I think things like these should be documented so that people like Jonboy or Tokolosh don't get too pompous and think that they really are interesting people with admirable lives.

floatingslowly 01.24.2012 03:57 PM

Lol!!!!!! @ offline peasants. Go dig a ditch!!!

floatingslowly 01.24.2012 03:58 PM

Lol jonboy. Get a real phone, pleeb.

stu666 01.24.2012 05:03 PM

i might do a sonicl and quit this place when i hit 10,000 posts...

SONIC GAIL 01.24.2012 05:26 PM

My crackberry

!@#$%! 01.24.2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Let's laugh at the times when people used to insult other people on the internet forums because they reckoned they didn't have a life by being online all the time. With smartphones not only you don't have to read the free papers you used to grab from the tube station anymore, but now you can connect wherever you are, even from remote pub toilets in north London.

ubiquitous internet is great for some things but it can also be a hurdle.

take people at shows who are more concerned with tweeting and updating their facebook status than with what goes on around them. simply pathetic. listen to the music, bitch, and smell the strangers around you.

there is something horribly hollow and sad about trying to be constantly on display rather than immerse yourself in whatever you're doing. there is a physical reality to be experienced that still beats any online thing. legs, for example, are better in person.

jennthebenn 01.24.2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

take people at shows who are more concerned with tweeting and updating their facebook status than with what goes on around them. simply pathetic. listen to the music, bitch, and smell the strangers around you.

there is something horribly hollow and pathetic about being constantly on display rather than immerse yourself on whatever you're doing. and there is a physical reality to be experienced that still beats any online thing. legs, for example.

Getting out and traveling (be it your neighborhood, city, country, planet) cannot be topped. To say it is an enriching experience is to understate its impact.

!@#$%! 01.24.2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Getting out and traveling (be it your neighborhood, city, country, planet) cannot be topped. To say it is an enriching experience is to understate its impact.

hello!!!!

jon boy 01.24.2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

but now you can connect wherever you are, even from remote pub toilets in north London.

more about that.

jennthebenn 01.24.2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

hello!!!!

Always good to see you 'round these parts. :D

!@#$%! 01.24.2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Always good to see you 'round these parts. :D

E. Noisefield 01.24.2012 07:11 PM

Yeah, I've taken the "get a life" angle in internet disputes before, but never from a smartphone.

My work requires that I have one. It's "company issued". I hate it.

Also, I just plain don't fight with people on the internet anymore. Being on line is ok as long as you're not being a perv or harassing.

it's the iFighting that's truly retarded ;)

E. Noisefield 01.24.2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
the equivalent of internet obesity

Oh god no. :eek:

:)

MellySingsDoom 01.24.2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

There's pubs in North London now?????

floatingslowly 01.24.2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Being on line is ok as long as you're not being a perv or harassing.

ok you lost me there.

~~~~~~====<~~~<~~<@

ITT: fascist freetime dick-tators. Who are you people who deem what another should do? Pricks, that's who.

leave genteeeeeeel alone!!!!@!!! :'(

dirty bunny 01.25.2012 01:09 AM

The internet's old news already. Where's my virtual reality?

Genteel Death 01.25.2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

there is something horribly hollow and sad about trying to be constantly on display rather than immerse yourself in whatever you're doing. there is a physical reality to be experienced that still beats any online thing. legs, for example, are better in person.

Of course I agree with the above, mum. But I am also telling you this from the 5th floor of a department store, while I drink a Gibson and I have conflicted feelings towards the colour of the shirt I've just bought.