Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth's first album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=58993)

krv u tami 09.20.2011 09:55 AM

Sonic Youth's first album

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am really keen on getting my hands on, or at least hearing a tune or two from SY's first album (named Sonic Youth unless Wikipedia is lying).
Is there any way that someone can help me with that?
Thanks in advance.

noisereductions 09.20.2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krv u tami
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am really keen on getting my hands on, or at least hearing a tune or two from SY's first album (named Sonic Youth unless Wikipedia is lying).
Is there any way that someone can help me with that?
Thanks in advance.

it was re-issued in 2006 with bonus tracks. It's very much still in print, and not at all hard to find.

E. Noisefield 09.20.2011 06:21 PM

I just tried a mediafire search, but it was unsuccessful, probably because the album's called "sonic youth", so searching for it brings up every SY link out there.

But it's totally available. Any semi-decent record store should have it or be able to reorder it. It was just reissued a few years ago.

Anyway, if you want a hard copy just get one used from B&N or Half.com.

Obviously, it's an essential album. Not really the same SY we know and love (the band was still obsessed with dub beats and tribal rhythms), but it still kicks fucking ass.

"Burning Spear" and "I Dreamed I dream" are to of my favorites ever.

krv u tami 09.21.2011 02:44 PM

Found it and not liking it so far , thanks anyways. Good to have insight in whole discography of a favored band , even clumsy baby - steps.

EVOLghost 09.21.2011 03:12 PM

lulz

Thin_icE 09.23.2011 08:26 AM

Seriously hope this is a troll.

3/10

negative8ball 09.25.2011 09:02 AM

Took me a while to get into... but, agree with E. Noisefield - Burning Spear alone is worth it!

SONIC GAIL 09.25.2011 09:14 AM

I luv her all tha time

Mortte Jousimo 09.26.2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negative8ball
Took me a while to get into... but, agree with E. Noisefield - Burning Spear alone is worth it!

I love "first album" directly when I heard it first time! All the songs are just great! It took me some time to get into Confusion and Bad Moon (of course these albums have also many songs that hit me directly).

RanaldoNecro 09.26.2011 11:41 AM

I came into this album really late. It wasn't involved on the mid-90s DGC re-issues. But I really love it. It sounds so great and clear. The live tracks are quite revealing. Destroyer.

Jeremy 09.26.2011 04:15 PM

I remember buying the EP a couple days before my 16th birthday from a Borders right when it was closing. I then drove all over Las Vegas that night listening to it.... it was definitely a major "life soundtrack" at that point. Listening to any song off of it still makes me think of all those lights and all that random driving.

~Jeremy~

CHOUT 09.26.2011 04:42 PM

The drumming is incredible on this ep. They could have done much worse for a first release...

Mortte Jousimo 09.27.2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
The drumming is incredible on this ep. They could have done much worse for a first release...

Yeah, if you compare the early live and the e.p., the difference is huge! And there is only few month between them! They must have practised quite a lot! Also the demoversion of I Dreamed I dream is a little bit uncertain.