Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   [Sandbag] essentials: Jonny Greenwood 'Bodysong' (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28670)

[Sandbag] 12.24.2008 10:47 AM

[Sandbag] essentials: Jonny Greenwood 'Bodysong'

Jonny Greenwood - Bodysong

01. Moon trills
02. Moon mall
03. Trench
04. Iron swallow
05. Clockwork tin soldiers
06. Convergence
07. Nudnik headache
08. Peartree
09. Splitter
10. Bode Radio - Glass light - Broken hearts
11. 24 hour charleston
12. Milky drops from heaven
13. Tehellet

First solo album by Radiohead's guitarist Jon Greenwood As a soundtrack for Simon Pummel's 2003 movie 'Bodysong'.

It's one of the best albums that i have ever listened to and I like it more than (being a radiohead fan) any radiohead album. It features 13 tracks, and various styles.. from quiet piano ballads (moon trills), string quartets (iron swallow, bode radio, tehellet), chaotic percussion (convergence, trench, splitter) , guitars (24 hour charleston) electronica and trippy stuff in general (clockwork tin soldiers, nudnik headache, peartree, moon mall) to orchestrated climax (tehellet) and free jazz (splitter, milky drops from heaven)... but it is yet, quite easy to the ears. short songs, different styles, perfect album. and tehellet is one of the best closing tracks ever.

id consider it to be an 'hybrid' album in quality of noises, styles and instruments. You can find quite a wide brand of sounds here: guitars, banjo, piano, organs, computers, synthetizers, ondes, horn sections, trumpets and trombones, bass and double bass, drum sets, xylophones, tape noises, electronic loops, violins, string quartets, etc

http://www.4shared.com/file/26529437..._bodysong.html

interview

Derek 12.24.2008 10:48 AM

Coming from a non-Radiohead fan, this is quite cool.

[Sandbag] 12.24.2008 10:51 AM

heheh :)

noisereductions 12.24.2008 10:52 AM

Wow, awesome pick, sandbag. But WHY is everyone using the "essentials" tag? Shark-biters.

:) but seriously, thanks for this. Awesome album, great pick.

[Sandbag] 12.24.2008 10:55 AM

haha duno, if i had the chance to recommend a fav album to someone, this one would be on my list for sure ;)

Derek 12.24.2008 11:00 AM

well 'essentials' makes it more... personal I guess.

I like these types of threads really, opens up discussion that most of the other threads in this section don't have.

noisereductions 12.24.2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
well 'essentials' makes it more... personal I guess.

I like these types of threads really, opens up discussion that most of the other threads in this section don't have.

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that I called mine NR Essentials, and then (ahem) someone made Derek's Essentials (wink).

Derek 12.24.2008 11:49 AM

Hahahaha. There are only so many words one could use! Essentials is the best word to use.

noisereductions 12.24.2008 11:57 AM

Just bustin' chops... kickin' tires.

o'connor 12.24.2008 01:23 PM

that is a good cd. i specifically remember the day i bought it. i was working at a record store in key west and it was the day it was released. after i got off me and a buddy went home and dropped acid and bumped said cd. it was awesome. and scary. that's the last tiem i dropped acid and i probably won't be doing it again anytime soon. i'm getting too lod for that shit.

acousticrock87 12.24.2008 03:24 PM

I never could get into this one. I'll have to listen to it through a few more times I think.

But I'm pretty sure they used Convergence on There Will Be Blood, when the rig burns down. I haven't looked into it, but I would bet money on it. It was the best scene in the movie.

[Sandbag] 12.24.2008 03:40 PM

yeh, it's convergence.
and i agree it's the best scene in the movie, apart from the i drink yr milkshake bit :P

chairman of the bored 12.25.2008 06:24 PM

"jonny greenwood is the selector" is an incredible reggae mix

marleypumpkin 12.25.2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
"jonny greenwood is the selector" is an incredible reggae mix

An "Essential" mix to say the least.

acousticrock87 12.25.2008 06:39 PM

Now that, I'm down with. "I'm Still in Love" and "Right Road to Dubland" are two of the best reggae songs I've ever heard. I wasn't expecting it to be good at all, either, but it's ace.

And the Skywalker track. Especially with the right substances.