Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   EJSTNS/Sister (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33104)

notyourfiend 07.24.2009 07:06 PM

EJSTNS/Sister

forgive me if this has been asked before....

so apparently you are supposed to be able to hear the Sister recordings if you listen to EJSTNS very carefully (and at a loud volume)

well okay. i'm part deaf (seriously. i don't have a working ear. it sucks.) i've cranked the volume as loud as my working ear allows and still heard nothing sister-like between songs.

am i the only one?

is this an urban legend or total truth?

e_s_d 07.24.2009 07:34 PM

Hmm, I guess it kind of depends... Are you listening on vinyl or CD?

On CD you can definately hear it, but it is very very faint. I've never tried listening to the vinyl version, but I'm guessing that vinyl's signal to noise ratio would make it even more difficult, if not impossible to hear Sister between tracks.

If you've got some kind of audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, you can try messing around importing audio from the CD, and amplifying the silence at the beginning and end of tracks to reveal Sister.

It's there... for sure.

Why they used the Sister master tapes for the EJSTNS master - apparently to save money (if that's the case they must've saved about 200$ - remains a mystery...

StevOK 07.24.2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_s_d

Why they used the Sister master tapes for the EJSTNS master - apparently to save money (if that's the case they must've saved about 200$ - remains a mystery...

They did not record over the Sister master tapes.

atsonicpark 07.24.2009 08:32 PM

no comment.

notyourfiend 07.24.2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

If you've got some kind of audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, you can try messing around importing audio from the CD, and amplifying the silence at the beginning and end of tracks to reveal Sister.

I think I'm going to do that. I gave away my CD as a departure give to my best friends so I've been listening on my computer and ipod...which most likely explains some of it.

EJSTNS a first act to move into new directions. Perhaps they recorded over Sister as a way to symbolically move forward and "erase" their older stuff? I don't know, that seems a bit far fetched. As does the money thing. Then again, I think that they were pretty erked about the cost of Dirty. I'm more surprised that Butch Vig would have been okay with recording over Sister.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.24.2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
no comment.

In between songs, if you turn up the volume really fucking loud, you can hear atsonicpark screaming "This has been discussed already!" ;)

Death & the Maiden 07.25.2009 12:46 AM

Everything is answered here.

frades 07.25.2009 01:51 AM

why would have they done that if it's inaudible while listening..?

ZEROpumpkins 07.25.2009 02:45 AM

"hay guise herd someone was looking for me"

e_s_d 07.25.2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden

Somethings are answered, but it's still not entirely clear what's what.

Whether it's interesting or not is another question.

barnaclelapse 07.25.2009 08:53 AM

I...totally didn't know this

I'm obviously going to have to go check it out.

sarramkrop 07.25.2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Somethings are answered, but it's still not entirely clear what's what.

Whether it's interesting or not is another question.

Why do you care that much, anyway?

notyourfiend 07.25.2009 04:23 PM

Thanks for telling me how to hear it.
Sorry that it was answered before.
I got lazy with the search button.

tasteinmen 09.04.2009 03:56 PM

i've been reading Goodbye 20th Century and I have just finished reading about the Experimental Jet Set era and there is no mention of them recording over the sister master tapes... and this book is quite descriptive when it comes to the making of each album.

noisereductions 09.04.2009 05:47 PM

I made a promise that I'd make an effort...

Steve told us all recently that it was a hoax.

atsonicpark 09.04.2009 05:49 PM

You really can clearly hear "Sister" songs in the silence between "Jet Set" songs. ... but I think the "hoax" is that the "Sister" master tapes were recorded over.

I think we're clear now.. right?...

Oh, and for whatever reason, I've never been able to hear the Sister tracks with headphones on, but I can hear them perfectly if I just turn the volume up on my stereo without headphones plugged in. Eh?

Magic Wheel Memory 09.04.2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Steve told us all recently that it was a hoax.

But it wasn't really Steve who said that. It was Richard Edson. "Steve Shelley" was created from Richard Edson's DNA to save money.