Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dino Jr. question.. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=896)

sonicderek 04.13.2006 03:29 PM

Dino Jr. question..

So, how long does it take to get your hearing back after seeing Dinosaur Jr. live? Cause I am deaf. J's guitar was so loud last night I thought I was going to lose consciousness. It was superb. But seriously, I'm deaf.

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 04.13.2006 03:33 PM

Ha ha...

I think I went deaf from seeing them too many times, so now it only takes me a day or so...

It took over a week the first time I saw them, and I was convinced (also) that I had gone deaf.

Rob Instigator 04.13.2006 04:06 PM

J Mascis likes to play loud. when I saw them hre last month I was screaming along to every song at the top of my lungs and I could not hear myself for shit!!!!

here is a snippet from an interview with MURPH

Q - How do you keep from going deaf?
A - We wear earplugs. But Lou and I were actually talking about that last night after the show -- how like, people were complaining and we've been complaining of like, weird bodily symptoms [from the volume].
Q - What kind of symptoms? A - While I'm playing, my hand will go numb -- like, literally, I'll get pins and needles. Or your heart flutters while you're playing. It's the low frequencies. Those are the ones that can really get you. I think over the years since we've been playing so loud, we're addicted to the volume -- the assault. Even though it's, like, weird -- you get weird side effects -- it just doesn't feel right if it's not that loud.

dazedcola 04.13.2006 04:53 PM

yea when i saw them i was right in front of J's amp :) and i remember giving my ear plugs to a friend. My ears were ringing for two days straight, i was seriously worried for a little while.

sellouteater 04.13.2006 04:57 PM

I think I'm already going deaf from my mp3 player. I cant afford to go to a dino concert. I could end up permantly handicapped.

marleypumpkin 04.13.2006 08:28 PM

You guys are wimps. I was right in front of J. as well, & I didn't need earplugs. & my hearing was fine after the concert. The only problem was I couldn't hear any of the vocals.

sonicderek 04.14.2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
You guys are wimps. I was right in front of J. as well, & I didn't need earplugs. & my hearing was fine after the concert. The only problem was I couldn't hear any of the vocals.

I felt like a wimp standing in front of J's absurdly loud wall of speakers. I didn't have earplugs either (i'm not sure if I would have worn them if given the chance). I don't think it was possible to get the vocals louder than the guitar. I couldn't even hear the drums half the time, let alone the vocals. Everyone was still singing along though, which made it even more incredible. And man, I'm not sure how you could hear fine after the show.. you must have some terrible ear wax ;)

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicderek
I felt like a wimp standing in front of J's absurdly loud wall of speakers. I didn't have earplugs either (i'm not sure if I would have worn them if given the chance). I don't think it was possible to get the vocals louder than the guitar. I couldn't even hear the drums half the time, let alone the vocals. Everyone was still singing along though, which made it even more incredible. And man, I'm not sure how you could hear fine after the show.. you must have some terrible ear wax ;)

Oh, I'm not saying that shit wasn't loud. It was the most loudest show I'd ever been to. & that includes J.Mascis+The Fog. But & The Fog show, You could here the bass better, & the drums, & the vocals. & that show was in a smaller venue than the one I saw Dinosaur Jr in.
But anyway, who's complainig. I had a great fucking time.

-EDIT-
Uh, OH. I'm dominating the boards. I hate when that happens.

RockerNino 04.14.2006 09:46 PM

im going to see them on the 21st at the troubadour in LA!!! YES!!!

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 09:55 PM

Have a great time. We all know you will

Here's my five second recap of the 4/7th show @ The Orange Peel;

Saw a cool art exhibit. Ate some food. Smoked a splif. Walked right past J.
Priestess sucked. Dead Meadows was great. Dinosaur Jr. blew everyone away.
& I got one of Murph's performed w/ Vic Firth drumstick.

I love Dinosaur Jr.!

Everyneurotic 04.14.2006 10:35 PM

i stood in front of j when i saw them, but since it was an open air concert in central park, the volume distributed itself more. it was pretty loud but i didn't go deaf

actually, i lost more of my hearing after seeing thurston/surgal/winant; that show was way more deafening (probably because of the venue) than dino

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 10:56 PM

@ The Orange Peel show, it was pretty damn loud, but it wasn't defining.
The Orange Peel holds about 300-500 people, so that should give you an idea of what it sounded like that night. I believe a week ago tonight.

luxinterior 04.15.2006 12:13 AM

Did you see them at The Blue Note?
Because I had to miss that show. Bummer.

sonicderek 04.15.2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Did you see them at The Blue Note?
Because I had to miss that show. Bummer.

Yeah, at the Blue Note.. Sorry you had to miss it..

grungenotdead? 04.15.2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

So, how long does it take to get your hearing back after seeing Dinosaur Jr. live? Cause I am deaf. J's guitar was so loud last night I thought I was going to lose consciousness. It was superb. But seriously, I'm deaf.

lucky bitch!!! you got to see them, be happy.

marleypumpkin 04.15.2006 05:29 AM

Yeah, we should be thankful they got back in this touring mood that they're in.

PunkerViolence 04.15.2006 05:40 AM

Quote:

I KNOOOW!! I had the same ringing pain after the gig. Didnt mind too much, i know that it was well worth it, to be fucked thru the ear by Dinosaur doesnt bother me all that much.:) Twas definately loud....an noisey....an fuzzy....and energetic...The croud was buzzing, croudsurfers, moshers, the odd few oldies who liked 2 smack the bouncing kids. But yea absoloutly BRILIANT SHOW...so fuckin loud man.....

marleypumpkin 04.15.2006 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperstation
I KNOOOW!! I had the same ringing pain after the gig. Didnt mind too much, i know that it was well worth it, to be fucked thru the ear by Dinosaur doesnt bother me all that much.:)

Yeah, I don't mind being fucked in the ear by Dinosaur Jr. Including Dino Jr.,
J.Mascis has fucked me in the ear twice. (ha ha)
(J.Mascis+The Fog & Dinosaur Jr.)

PunkerViolence 04.15.2006 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Yeah, I don't mind being fucked in the ear by Dinosaur Jr. Including Dino Jr.,
J.Mascis has fucked me in the ear twice. (ha ha)
(J.Mascis+The Fog & Dinosaur Jr.)

I saw them twice, when the original JayLouMurph reformed....And the first time they played a bunch of songs off their first 3 (my favorites) SST/Homestead records......then the 2nd time....THE 2ND TIME!!....They played the whole of your living all over me....including some songs that have hardly ever been performed....Chunks, Show me the way...ooh man it was an experience.....Half the croud left after the original setlist...so by the 4th encore the floor was half empty.....idiotic - id say

marleypumpkin 04.15.2006 05:56 AM

Those fucking moron's. They get a chance to see on of the greatest band line-ups in the history of music (J., Lou, & Murph) & they walk out, what idiots.
I love the SST records as well, but the original releasings weren't mixed well at all. You could hardly hear Lou's bass before the remastered releases.

I'll never forget walking right past J. outside the venue. He was just hanging out, leaning on a brick wall. I should have asked to hang out for a minute.
But, I didn't want to be all like, Oh, I love you J.Mascis. I'm a huge fan. You know what I mean. He's too mellow of a guy to be getting into deep conversation w/ anyway. Oh yeah, & I got one of Murph's drumsticks. Fuck Yeah!