Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pretentious intellectual fuckers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4595)

truncated 07.28.2006 12:26 AM

Pretentious intellectual fuckers

Can suck sweaty rhino sack. Trendophobes make me retch.

Cantankerous 07.28.2006 12:28 AM

i'm horribly sick, i can go to work and cough on them for you if you want.

truncated 07.28.2006 12:30 AM

Useful, AND a nice rack. Now that's a quality poster.

Inhuman 07.28.2006 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i'm horribly sick, i can go to work and cough on them for you if you want.

I'll help; I have strep throat.

Cantankerous 07.28.2006 12:34 AM

let's roll.

truncated 07.28.2006 12:39 AM

Be sure to have Bon Jovi blaring in the background while you do it, please.

Cantankerous 07.28.2006 01:24 AM

will jesus christ superstar be acceptable? i have no bon jovi.

terminal pharmacy 07.28.2006 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
will jesus christ superstar be acceptable? i have no bon jovi.

being coughed on whilst listening to jc superstar is a dream we all must attain.

Trasher02 07.28.2006 06:27 AM

BITCHING!!!

RdTv 07.28.2006 06:37 AM

+

=

luxinterior 07.28.2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02

BITCHING!!!

Is that tattoo for real? It looks like a sticker.

terminal pharmacy 07.28.2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Is that tattoo for real? It looks like a sticker.

i thought jon bon jovi was a sticker and the tatt was real, go figure

Toilet & Bowels 07.28.2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Can suck sweaty rhino sack. Trendophobes make me retch.

Awwww, what happened?

Savage Clone 07.28.2006 08:07 AM

It was my impression that we were the "pretentious intellectual fuckers" that untold thousands of hapless rubes complained about.

Tokolosh 07.28.2006 08:08 AM

Who needs them!

RdTv 07.28.2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
It was my impression that we were the "pretentious intellectual fuckers" that untold thousands of hapless rubes complained about.

hey, I don't pretend to be an intellectual fucker, I am what I am. Which, happens to sometimes be an intellectual fucker.

Savage Clone 07.28.2006 08:31 AM

Thanks for the qualifier.
I understand now.

truncated 07.28.2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Awwww, what happened?

Just a random rant. People who quiver in fear at the thought of liking music/art/films that isn't obscure or critically lauded. People who will admit to such things, but only with the disclaimer of them being 'guilty pleasures.' People who wear their artistic taste on their sleeves as some kind of badge of identification. People who will slam Ben Folds Five and in the same breath endorse Be Your Own Pet because the latter is on Infinity Cat and not yet plastered on the radio. People who casually drop their latest film noir viewings and translated novel readings into conversation, for no other reason (despite what they say) than to advertise that they, unlike you, are culturally rounded and capable of complex thought. People who line up like lemmings to watching foreign films at their local independent theater because, well, it's an indie film - by default, it's better than anything out at the multiplex! People who tolerated Drawing Restraint 9 because they lick Bjork's whiny Nordic asshole, but won't acknowledge that Aliens is one of the best films ever made.

One of the most blatant examples of this, in my cuntish opinion, is the "What are you listening to?" thread.

I would cut off my left tit if there were some way to prove that the majority of people post on that thread for any reason other than to self-importantly crow, "Look! Look what I'M listening to! It's a B-side! I bet YOU'VE never heard it! Did you know I was that obscure? Did you know I was into such hardcore experimentalism? Well, I am. And I bet you're not. I bet YOU don't own this album. Am I avant-garde? Am I? Am I?" Why else are you posting on that thread? Do you really give a good goddamn what I'm listening to? Of course not, you're listening to your own music. Do people typically respond to other people's posts on that thread? Of course not, because they're barely even reading them; they are far too concerned with posting their own brand of advertising.

People who don't realize that Sebastian Bach will own someone like Kathleen Hanna any day of the week because he loves, truly LOVES music, lives for the pure simplistic joy of rock and roll, and isn't using it as a vehicle for a political agenda, an image stamp, a competitive artistic edge, a personality billboard.

The name-droppers, media-haters, trendophobes, rabble-rousers, corporate-bashing, extreme-left, if-more-than-15-people-have-heard-of-that-band-I-can't-buy-their-album music connossieurs -

Contrary to what you must convince yourselves of on a daily basis in order to keep your fragile egos intact, it is YOU folks who are the woefully ignorant, not those supposed intellectual inferiors you turn your noses down at. So don your pricetags, kids, for you are the true sell-outs.

gmku 07.28.2006 08:55 AM

Are there unpretentious intellectuals?

I consider myself an intellectual because all my interests are in the arts, music, movies, books, and so on. But I don't think I'm pretentious. At least, I've never been accused of such.

truncated 07.28.2006 08:56 AM

I feel better now, don't you?