Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fugazi (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3313)

Pax Americana 06.22.2006 04:54 PM

Fugazi

So I was listening to In On The Killtaker today and it occured to me to start a Fugazi thread. Anybody else love Fugazi or just have a general appreciation of all things Ian Mackaye?

Favorite album? Discuss!

drrrtyboots 06.22.2006 05:04 PM

Yes, yes and yes. What a great band, I love all of their stuff although I heard the argument first and kind of went backwards from there. I'm not so crazy about Mackaye's new band though, The Evens.

finding nobody 06.22.2006 05:04 PM

fugazi is great. a freind let me borrow rapeater earlier this year. i love it. and sense i've gotten into their other albums.
the day before yesterday i listened to in on the kill the taker, red medicine, and steady diet of nothing while at work in one sitting
im buying some fugazi vinyl very soon

luxinterior 06.22.2006 05:07 PM

Fugazi are one of those bands that I lost myself in for quite some time. It's fairly easy to become obsessed with them.

Pax Americana 06.22.2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
fugazi is great. a freind let me borrow rapeater earlier this year. i love it. and sense i've gotten into their other albums.
the day before yesterday i listened to in on the kill the taker, red medicine, and steady diet of nothing while at work in one sitting
im buying some fugazi vinyl very soon

All great albums, I think that Red Medicine might be my favorite but it's hard to say.

Also, Drrrtyboots that Evens album took a few listens but I ended up really enjoying it.

Pookie 06.22.2006 05:13 PM

Can't go wrong with Fugazi. One of the few bands who haven't done a thing wrong as far as I'm concerned. And GREAT live too.

So if you want recommends, then ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they've done.

My personal favourite is probably Repeater but Red Medicine is a fantastic very close second.

nomadicfollower 06.22.2006 05:14 PM

I have Repeater, but I never really got it..
Maybe I should give it another try?

gmku 06.22.2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax Americana
So I was listening to In On The Killtaker today and it occured to me to start a Fugazi thread. Anybody else love Fugazi or just have a general appreciation of all things Ian Mackaye?

Favorite album? Discuss!

Are you kidding? Who could NOT love this awesome band?! It's incredible to me that there are actually people who don't like fugazi. It seems like a no-brainer to me that a Sonic Youth fan could only love this great, noisy band.

My favorite is Repeater, followed closely by Steady Diet of Nothing. But I like almost everything they've ever set their hand to.

drrrtyboots 06.22.2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax Americana
All great albums, I think that Red Medicine might be my favorite but it's hard to say.

Also, Drrrtyboots that Evens album took a few listens but I ended up really enjoying it.

If I gave it a few more listens i'd probably enjoy it. I guess I was just expecting something different.

krastian 06.22.2006 05:34 PM

I have a hard on for Fugazi and anxiously await for the boys to get back together to fucking rock out. My favorite is In on the Killtaker because it is da bomb diggidity. They can't possibly disappear after an album as glorious as The Argument.

marleypumpkin 06.22.2006 05:41 PM

I've just recently started getting into this group, Believe me, I've been wanting to for a long time. But I must say, very impressive.

I know, I'm an enlighteng MF. (haha)

finding nobody 06.22.2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
I have Repeater, but I never really got it..
Maybe I should give it another try?

yeeeeah

Norma J 06.22.2006 06:47 PM

HAHA fuck! I was just going to make a thread about how Ian Mackaye is on the track "Youth Againt Fascism" from Dirty. Which was going to be my segway to talk of Ian Mackaye and anything related to him talk.

I think Minor Threat and Fugazi are great. More so of the latter for me.

finding nobody 06.22.2006 06:50 PM

what does Ian do on "Youth Againt Fascism"?

lizzarddd 06.22.2006 06:51 PM

my favorite song by fugazi, is probably cash out,

nomadicfollower 06.22.2006 06:53 PM

I'll give Repeater another chance..

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.22.2006 06:57 PM

I am more of an all things Guy Picciotto guy. I like Minor Threat and Fugazi, but as far as Ian Mackaye goes, Embrace and the Evens were horrible. Guy Picciotto can do no wrong though.

My favorite Fugazi songs- Do You Like Me?, Shut the Door, Blueprint, Glueman, SMALLPOX CHAMPION.

Norma J 06.22.2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
what does Ian do on "Youth Againt Fascism"?

Guitar.

Pax Americana 06.22.2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I am more of an all things Guy Picciotto guy. I like Minor Threat and Fugazi, but as far as Ian Mackaye goes, Embrace and the Evens were horrible. Guy Picciotto can do no wrong though.

My favorite Fugazi songs- Do You Like Me?, Shut the Door, Blueprint, Glueman, SMALLPOX CHAMPION.

I liked the Evens record personally, and I agree that Guy is pretty awesome. Rites of Spring were a great band!

Yeah, Ian plays some of the noisey guitar parts on Youth Against Facism.

Infinite Spark 06.22.2006 09:13 PM

One of the few bands who i can't criticise one bit, my personal favourite is The Argument, maybe cos i'm more familiar with it though (Infinite Spark is now searching on Limewire for The Evens)