Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Amon Düül II!!! KRAUTROCK!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10790)

Jt 02.24.2007 08:29 PM

Amon Düül II!!! KRAUTROCK!!!

C'mon, I need to hear that other boarders are into these boys. Any krautrock experts out there know where I should be headed next (omitting the basics like Faust, Can, Neu!)?

I'm buying the first Ash Ra Tempel album, and then... WHAT?!

And how FUCKING good is Yeti?!

Glice 02.24.2007 08:44 PM

Not my forté, but perhaps Cluster, early Tangerine Dream (probably already obvious, but they are quite good)... I heartily recommend Oskar Sala, not Kraut but very good German electronics pre-dating Krautrock.

Phlegmscope 02.24.2007 08:52 PM

Since the first time of hearing their music I've loved them. I lean towards phallus dei though... Also amon düül's paradieswärts düül is greatness, especially the opening song.

I'm pissed off at the fact that Neu! albums are never midpriced for some reason.

Jt 02.24.2007 08:55 PM

Yeah, I'm looking more toward the guitar-orientated side of things, really, though Cluster are decent enough. I know SY are big fans of this scene, too - Kim's listening to Neu! on the phone call track from The Whitey Album!

EDIT: Same! I just bought Phallus Dei today, too - AWESOME. Not a huge fan of the shrieking mind but there's not much anyway.

Savage Clone 02.24.2007 09:11 PM

Yeti is pretty amazing.
One of the jewels of my collection is my prized German original of that one.
For guitar-oriented stuff, I highly recommend Gila's self-titled album, and of course "UFO" by Guru Guru.
And though not strictly "Kraut," the Swiss group Brainticket's "Cottonwoodhill" LP is essential as well.

demonrail666 02.24.2007 11:28 PM

+1 for Savage Clone. UFO is almost Stooges like when it comes to sheer guitar overload. Yeti is insanely fantastic but not for everyone. Very 'Prog'.

Toilet & Bowels 02.25.2007 04:47 PM

walter wegmuller - tarot
galactic jokers

Savage Clone 02.25.2007 04:48 PM

Good call on Tarot.
It's "Cosmic Jokers" though.
They do have a tune called "Galactic Joke."

Savage Clone 02.25.2007 04:58 PM

Oh, and I didn't mention this one before, but "Malesch" by Agitation Free is a great one also.

If you have a higher tolerance for the more progressive style, then "Tips Zum Selbsmord" by Necronomicon is recommended. Super dark and very raw sounding, but it is definitely progressive in style and very dramatic. Heavy organ and great guitar work, but not for everyone.

Gulasch Noir 02.25.2007 04:58 PM

and an album called "Galactic Supermarket"

atari 2600 02.25.2007 05:03 PM

I've got a short video for "Surrounded By The Stars."

1/18/75 Phonzeit TV WDR-TV Berlin (pro) svcd

lungfish 02.25.2007 05:05 PM

"Archangels Thunderbird" is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Toilet & Bowels 02.25.2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
It's "Cosmic Jokers" though.
They do have a tune called "Galactic Joke."

well i've got a spliting headache today