Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104571)

Toilet & Bowels 01.19.2014 05:12 AM

The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread

Surprised we don't have one of these.

Last thing I saw was Raajmahal which is Pat Murano from No Neck Blues Band + a lady, doing ethereal guitar/synth droney stuff. Not bad, but not anywhere as good as any of Pat Murano's other things that I've heard (e.g. NNCK, Key of Shame, Decimus, etc.)

guest 01.19.2014 06:10 AM

last night I caught juan atkins, who was predictably sxc, and the night before pearson sound & ben ufo, which again was awesome, all pretty furious sets.

last band I caught was I guess cuntz, a local noise rock act who have been playing a residency in melbourne, with a really caustic, sludy set. international act....from memory was deerhunter (??) who were FUCKING INSANE. records have been tailing off but live they still look like the pre-eminent 'indie' band of their generation.

was meant to be seeing matmos tonight but can't be fucked.

Genteel Death 01.19.2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
last band I caught was I guess cuntz, a local noise rock act who have been playing a residency in melbourne, with a really caustic, sludy set.

I'd love to see these guys live. I've been playing their album ''Aloha'' a lot lately.

Torn Curtain 01.19.2014 06:53 AM

Anna Calvi at Cognac a month ago.

At the begging she didn't seem to be into it during a couple of songs (to be honest she really looked stoned as f**k), but fortunately the rest of the show was fantastic.

dasx 01.21.2014 05:14 AM

Last gig I went to see was Sigur Ros in november 30th, 2013. Gig was really great audiovisual experiment! Band played well, sounds were excellent and visual part of the show was astonishing. They had put lot of effort on lights, videos and other visual stuff. In the beginning of the concert there was transparent curtain between the band and audience, and they streamed videos and effects on curtain.

Bytor Peltor 01.21.2014 07:28 AM

Back on October 3rd over in Houston, I saw the Legendary Pink Dots. Best I can remember it was my 7th time seeing them live. I've seen the Dots with as many as eight musicians on stage (drummer and percussionist) to current lineup consisting of just three members.

I'm a huge LPD fan, but I've self imposed ban on listening to Dot music for over a year in the past. They had two albums out on this tour and each were equally good. One I new going in to the show while the other was a tour only release. Edward Ka-Spel's voice was possibly the best I've ever heard it live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
A few pics I took at the Legendary Pink Dots show last week:

tesla69 01.22.2014 09:39 AM

Sunday I blew the budget and rented a car and drove up to northampton to see Home Comfort's monthly residency. This band features Matt valentine on guitar and John Maloney on drum, along with bassist Orion Russell, and keyboardist Adam Langelotti. Described by mv as his jam band, they took some long excursions around some covers like Pink Floyd's "Air" and Mv/ee's "Shit Creek", I guess I wanted to hear some serious mv guitar work and I was rewarded. Good night, two sets. between sets Crystalline Rose played, a very enjoyable solo acoustic guitarist. earlier that evening I stopped by a local gallery that was featuring recent art by both mv and jeremy from woods, that was cool. I had expected to see a 100 old COM covers but they had asked mv for more recent work.

That was all really well and good but the next day before leaving town I stopped by Herrell's and had a malted vanilla ice cream, they really do make the best ice cream in the world I think.

Phlegmscope 01.22.2014 07:37 PM

I saw Hopeajarvi in december. I don't really follow new bands but I've been very into them.

https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/...rvi-kiinnostaa

that night I also saw seksihullut who were garage punk closing in on hardcore. or something. http://youtu.be/BHHqw5SFTIY

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.22.2014 10:35 PM

SubhumanS at the GLass House..

Yeah its been a while, and it'd been way longer since seeing Subhumans. I had a bruised rib, I swore I wasn't getting into the pit. Y'all know I fucking barely got out of the pit the whole night! As expected they played all songs you want to hear, and even played my favorite Subvert City which doesn't get a lot of setlists. Great show. Went with my sister. we got buzzing it. oi oi

Phlegmscope 02.08.2014 09:40 PM

Yesterday these:

Baxter Stockman http://youtu.be/z5mtKjXlddc
Great shellaccy screeching noiserock.
Hopeajärvi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Ed6IZyK50
Sokea Piste http://sokeapiste.bandcamp.com/album/v-lik-si
Both really hot shit noisy punk/rock sung in finnish.

whorefrost 02.09.2014 03:41 AM

If memory serves it was Sleaford Mods playing Edinburgh, fairly damn good, surprisingly low attendance.

MellySingsDoom 02.09.2014 09:43 AM

My last gig were:

1. Club Integral in Stoke Newington - various bands going on there, all v good.
2. Terminal Cheesecake at Elektrowerkz - support acts were dull as anything, but TC were mighitly resurgent, and have Russell Smith and John Jobaggy back in their ranks again. Had to leave early, unfortunately, but what I caught was very impressive indeed.

pokkeherrie 02.10.2014 09:13 AM

Last gig I went to was Circle performing SSEENNSSEESS at the Rotterdam film festival two weeks ago. It was awesome, although I think Circle are way too theatrical in their performances to play to someone else's visuals.

Also went to Raajmahal last month and I agree with T&B. A bit too dreamy for me (didn't help it was on a Saturday night!), the Decimus set I saw last year was a lot better.

Other stuff I saw in 2014 are Head of Wantastiquet, Pete Swanson, Desmadrados Soldados de Ventura, some noise festival with mostly local acts and a bit of a disappointing belgian/dutch doom/metal/punk all-day thing.

Antagon 02.10.2014 11:30 AM

Depeche Mode supported by The Soft Moon. Both of these shows were great but some people in the crowd were assholes.

Before that I was at a Lydia Lunch-gig. I really dig her current project and lineup (Walter Weasel, Algis Kyzis, Bob Bert!). It was a retrospective, which is surprising considering that up until now she pursued an "Only new material"-policy. It was awesome!

guest 02.11.2014 10:46 PM

parquet courts in sydney. real tight, surprisingly feedback-y. total control supported.

ann ashtray 02.12.2014 12:58 AM

The last notable gig I went to was Death in June some months back. I enjoyed the percussive elements, but then Douglas pulled out the acoustic and it was an hour and a half of a bunch of songs that sounded mostly the same. The audience was kind of lame in the tacky sense. Thankfully there was none of the neo nazi violence that was rumored to be taking place. I was glad when it was over. The girlfriend had fun. All that matters.

ALIEN ANAL 02.12.2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
parquet courts in sydney. real tight, surprisingly feedback-y. total control supported.

Neat! I am disappointed that I didnt see them when they were playing at the lane way festival here.

A Thousand Threads 02.13.2014 07:26 AM

Played a gig yesterday. Managed to play for 10min without realizing that my amp wasn't turned on.
Now I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

Antagon 02.13.2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Played a gig yesterday. Managed to play for 10min without realizing that my amp wasn't turned on.
Now I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

Don't beat yourself up over it! It was still a great gig. You guys created an amazing ambience that absolutely killed it. I enjoyed it a lot. And BlueBlut were a lot of fun. It seemed to me that they were enjoying themselves just as much as the audience enjoyed it. Overall a great event. Thanks for the free beer, I appreciate it a lot! :)

guest 02.20.2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
Neat! I am disappointed that I didnt see them when they were playing at the lane way festival here.

couldn't cope with laneway myself, cunt ratio is far too high!

melbourne really delivered this past weekend.....
saturday: blank realm lp launch
sunday afternoon: cuntz (for free, no less)
sunday evening: feedtime, useless children
sunday night: the stickmen

then wire tomorrow night.

A Thousand Threads 02.20.2014 03:45 AM

yesterday after work i went to see MSHR from Portland.

While I did enjoy the visual and technical aspect of their show a lot, they couldn't really keep up with the music on a similar level.

They had all these sweet homemade boxes and diy stuff, most of which were equipt with optical sensors/controllers etc. So they fooled around with laser pointers, light bulbs sensory gloves and whatnot.
Very interesting and all but the music really lacked dynamics and the sounds they created weren't exciting to my ears.

Kinda like the latest Jarmusch flick, it had good ideas, tons of stuff in it I like, visually it was very appealing but somehow the outcome is.... mehh.

EVOLghost 03.10.2014 12:53 PM

LAST WEEK:

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Photo was taken at the house of blues. I believe I'm where her right elbow and the dancer's(in pink) elbow meet. Like....the leak height of hands(me and my friend jumped for the photo like assholes). This show was amazing. We were finishing buying merch when she was marching out and was in the middle of the floor by the half of the first song. Got a great spot(thanks to my hands full o'booze technique) and fucking grooved for an hour and half. SHe had no opener so she just cme out and did her thang(with 2.5 costume changes). Everything was (of course) cute n bright n sweet. She was singing along to the track, but surprisingly she does actually sing. God that experience was so fucking great. The floor would feel like a trampoline when everyone was jumping along with Kyary....She spoke a little english(as expected), but what I found a little funny is how she would interact with the crowd in Japanese. like she would be saying so much...and like half the crowd would just be like 'woo'. But yeah...good thing I picked up my tickets early on. Look at that crowd! We were main floor(and got a great spot for getting there a bit late). Cutest experience of my life...if I have a guilty pleasure.....this is it.
(highlight songs that weren't her singles were SUPER SCOOTER HAPPY AND CHERRY BON BON mah faaaveesss)

THE FOLLOWING DAY!

Buffalo Daughter/Cibo Matto

(Buffalo Daughter joining Cibo Matto on stage for 10th Floor Ghost Girl)

I honestly wish Kyary wasn't the day before. I was still so hyped from the show(and the amazing burger I had earlier that day)....But Buffalo Daughter were great.....played Great Five Lakes and other groovey tunes that escape me now(including domo theme). Cibo Matto were wonderful. Started the set with Beef Jerky and sugar water. It was super neat...at first it was only Yuka and Miho...doing the Viva La Woman songs, then they started Check In. Then in the middle of the song the bassist and drummer join in and end with a kick ass groove. then they continue with the rest of the show. They did two of my favorites from stereotype a(moonchild and spoon)....and ended the set with Birthday Cake. The drummer was really layin' it down for Emerald Tuesday(chewsday). They were at the merch table after the show...so they signed my lp....:3 and got to have a few words....

Toilet & Bowels 03.12.2014 10:26 PM

Last night Mani Neumeier (drummer form Guru Guru) with Michio Yagi, followed by the trio of Peter Brotzmann (horns) Sabu Toyozumi (Drums) and Toshinori Kondo (trumpet and reverb) was a true mind blower. Both drummers in particular were incredible.

Savage Clone 03.12.2014 10:33 PM

Mani is a wonderful human being and an age-defying athlete of a drummer. An inspiration for living.

Toilet & Bowels 03.12.2014 10:57 PM

He's playing in a couple of days with Tabata and Makoto Kawabata, I'll be seeing that too.

guest 03.12.2014 11:15 PM

yo la tengo & dick diver at the corner hotel
not too big on this current 'quiet' set that they're playing when it's not rooted around their dronier pieces (night falls on hoboken, nowhere near, daphnia etc.) but fuck ira kaplan is still a badass guitarist. not only is he madly proficient in terms of both songs and melodic solos, when the bastard wants to skronk he kicks up a wall that could feasibly pass for haino or thurston. they're a very special band, nice to see them again.

after that I caught james ferraro at boney. predictably bizarre (https://soundcloud.com/abstract-muta...-march/s-UXqGs)

Savage Clone 03.12.2014 11:16 PM

Say hi for me. Dunno if he will remember me, but he was truly one of my all time favorite "music hero" personal meetings. I carry that experience with me to this day and I really hope I will cross paths with him again someday.

Bytor Peltor 03.13.2014 12:19 AM

This tour is the 40th Anniversary for, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.'

The show started with him playing Side A of the album: Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding, Bennie And The Jets, Candle In The Wind. They also played: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Grey Seal, All The Girls Love Alice, Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock & Roll), Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting.

My wife and I so enjoyed sharing this concert with our daughter (she is so ready to go see Elton again). More important, she enjoyed the band and hearing the songs played live like she has never heard before.

I'm sure many of you probably think Elton is the biggest waste of time and money, but I've been hooked for many-a-year and sharing it with my daughter was something extra special tonight!

The best part about today, having a ten minute drive home : )

Toilet & Bowels 03.16.2014 06:14 PM

Last night I went to see Los Doroncos which is a newish band by a guy who was in Les Rallizes Denudes and he's backed by Masami Kawaguchi, a girl from Maher Shalal Hash Baz plus one other guy. There are two versions of the band AC and DR which I presume signifies acoustic no drums or electric with drums, we saw the AC version play to a packed house of 14 people, no joke the venue was so tiny that with 14 people it was hard to move and the bar was also the stage.
The music sounded like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XguMTkL7esk

After the show about half of the other audience members were curious to find out how some foreigners had found their way to such a tiny venue to see a band that only plays to 11 japanese, they were inviting us to various places that unfortunately we won't be able to go to as we leave on Wednesday. But yeah, it was great fun although it was hard to stay as although smoking is not really permitted in the streets anymore here (only in certain designated smoking areas) smoking is still permitted in bars, restaurants and clubs, so being stuck in a tiny room with 7 or 8 smokers was too tough on our soft western eyes and throats so we had to skeedaddle to a nearby karaoke house, which to my surprise had 11 Sonic Youth songs to choose from.

EVOLghost 04.06.2014 04:05 PM

Oh shit! Yer in Tokyo already?! Shit! That's awesome!! And sounds fun! Post more about it please. :D

Last nght I went to see St. Vincent. I've only heard a few songs before...but I dug what I've heard(especially that song grot). She kicked butt. Her voice was amazing and her guitar was killer. There were a couple songs that i didn't like(one about a cheerleader?) but overall the show was pretty gosh darn awesome. She also covered dumb

Toilet & Bowels 04.06.2014 06:25 PM

Got back from Tokyo two weeks ago.

Ate loads of amazing food, saw some beautiful countryside, went to three great gigs, picked up a load of records, tapes and CDs, including a copy of New Blockaders - Changez Les Blockeurs (an all time want, but never thought I'd find type record), caught up with a few old friends, explored various nooks and crannies of Tokyo.... realised as great a place as Tokyo is Japan is a pretty fucked up country in terms of sexism, freedom of speech, organised crime, how the majority of japanese are bunch of conformist babies who won't speak out about what is messed up in their society.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.06.2014 07:25 PM

Crosses on vacation in Portland.

I've been listening to Crosses since they came out. Its deftones meets isis meets far. Its the shit.. The music was surprisingly loud and fierce live.. The energy was not what I could expect, and the crowd was feeling it even though its a different scene. Definitely a a great show..

an evening with viewtiful 04.06.2014 07:35 PM

Saw Wayne Shorter on Friday.

His band was absolutely fucking incredible, he was pretty damn good but his age was obiously preventing him from playing to his fullest ability (he's 80).
It's not that he ever played poorly, he just didn't exactly play frequently or for very long. That said it was a mesmerizing performance, his sparse sax solos informed the music in a way that made the whole thing feel very transcendent.

Phlegmscope 04.08.2014 06:39 PM

Red Fang a few hours ago. Great shit. Beer soaked music.

Also the supporting band, demonic death judge, was good sludgy buzz.
demonicdeathjudge.bandcamp.com
Think of weedeater and shit.

Toilet & Bowels 04.09.2014 04:37 AM

I went to see Circle last week but had to leave after 20 mins because I had an attack of crazy diahorrea.

A Thousand Threads 04.09.2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I went to see Circle last week but had to leave after 20 mins because I had an attack of crazy diahorrea.

Oh shit. Was it circles fault? I was thinking about going to see them tomorrow but never was a huge fan of theirs.

Toilet & Bowels 04.09.2014 01:37 PM

They are worth seeing live. I've never checked out their records but from what I've been told they don't really capture the live show.

SonicBebs 04.11.2014 04:01 PM

saw british sea power in camden last night
was really good - lots of people singing along and dancing - a proper good night
they're good everytime i see them and although last night was no where near the best i've seen them

ilduclo 04.11.2014 04:32 PM

dead meadow, pretty enjoyable and a couple of really fine moments

Torn Curtain 04.13.2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
saw british sea power in camden last night
was really good - lots of people singing along and dancing - a proper good night
they're good everytime i see them and although last night was no where near the best i've seen them

They were awful when I saw them around ten years ago.