Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104571)

Rob Instigator 05.27.2014 09:09 AM

Saw CALLE 13 yesterday at House of Blues. My cousin is their drummer so we got in free, and got our Puerto Rican groove on. we left them a box of Crave cupcakes with a jar of homegrown hidden inside for their pre-show and post show enjoyement! ha!

All the latinos turned our! even in shitty shitty weather, on the tail end of a long weekend. Lots of fun.

Genteel Death 05.27.2014 07:31 PM

Swans tonight were magnificently BORING.

Genteel Death 05.27.2014 07:33 PM

The only gig I've been to since last year where the headliner were rubbish. The support woman tonight was also shit. It was a fun night though with Melly.

Toilet & Bowels 05.27.2014 11:53 PM

Have you seen any of the other Swans shows in London since they got back together?

Bertrand 05.28.2014 02:37 AM

Yesterday, I went to see Courtney Barnett.
It was in Paris, at la Boule Noire (8 minute walk from the Machine du Moulin Rouge in Montmartre; halfway there's the Trianon, another venue, where I saw BRMC last year).
It's a small place, the concert wasn't sold out, I got there early and enjoyed the show, front row.
The opening act were a cool Parisian band I did not know, called Agua Roja; no swashbuckling effects, a keyboard guy, a bass player, both being shy, a female singer, slightly less shy, a drummer, and a young guitar player who was quite good. I liked their 6 songs. Made me think of a Columbus, OH band on a small label noone's heard of, so...
Barnett and her 2 musicians had a lot of fun. The guys smiled a lot all through the concert, along with the miss.
Let me be honest: she's occasionnally off-key on a couple of syllables during songs; and the cutest ones on record (Scotty Says, Avant-Gardener) could have been reworked for the rhythm section's too bouncy to pretend it's not. All right. A short set, because she's only had two EPs out. A broken guitar string, well written lyrics, people getting along well, it's been a very good night.
Plus I ended watching the end of France-Norway, the football game, in an Irish-owned café; I got in to see the last 2 goals.
No more shows before August.

Genteel Death 05.28.2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Have you seen any of the other Swans shows in London since they got back together?

No and I had high expectations. Anyway, I also went to see Condominium and The A Band, over the Bank Holiday weekend, and they were both AWESOME!

Toilet & Bowels 05.28.2014 06:09 AM

Bugger, I forgot about that A Band show.

guest 06.03.2014 01:19 AM

saw teenage libido, they were fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQk4q47Knw

Toilet & Bowels 06.03.2014 04:52 PM

Wolf Eyes in Berlin last night, they're a great band and they get better and better every time I see them.

nicfit 06.03.2014 05:50 PM

Yamantaka // Sonic Titan : loved every minute of it.

_slavo_ 06.04.2014 05:02 PM

KK Null/Balazs Pandi
Mark Fell

Was too drunk to truly consider the quality, though I think I might have loved it.

_tunic_ 06.07.2014 07:14 AM

Slint with Disappears last Friday

Disappears kicked ass as always, even though their newer songs are not as good as their older ones.
Slint was a bit disappointing (and short too, with 70 minutes). I love the Spiderland tracks, but all the other songs were mediocre including some everlasting noodling instrumentals. And they were positioned as such that I hardly could see any of them on stage...

Good news: I'll be seeing Disappear in two hours again on the second day of the Psych Lab Festival :D

_tunic_ 06.08.2014 05:21 PM

I went to the Eindhoven Psych Lab Festival, and saw the following bands:

on Friday:
1. Peter J Taylor
2. Cosmonauts
3. Great Ytene
4. Weird Owl
5. The Oscillation
6. Spectrum
7. Wooden Shjips -> but only the first part. Their set overlapped with Tooth of the Sea, but they hadn't shown up due to car problems which I only found out after leaving the Wooden Shjips :-(

and on Saturday:
1. Dans Dans
2. Nisennenmondai
3. Disappears

Highlight of day 1: The Oscillation, but mostly because their female drummer was very good and goodlooking as well
Highlights of Day 2: Dans Dans and especially Nisennenmondai
But basically all bands were good, exscept for Spectrum, whose set started off very very slow and boring, their last track was great though. It's called Suicide

whorefrost 06.12.2014 07:59 PM

Just back from Zaimph in Glasgow. Really good stuff. I'd only heard the Sexual Infinity CD previously which is quite harsh, but this was more like Double Leopards style drone heatwave. Picked up a handful of cassettes too and guzzled some Goose Island IPA. Support from Heather Leigh Murray and Richard Youngs. Excellent evening.

Toilet & Bowels 06.13.2014 05:30 AM

Was she (zaimph) playing guitar?

Last night saw Tara Jane O'Neil, nice set, but too short.

A Thousand Threads 06.13.2014 05:35 AM

The Cosmic Dead

started really, really good. They had this nicely executed build-up, but once they reached a certain level of intensity, they stayed there. it got boring and I left.

whorefrost 06.13.2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Was she (zaimph) playing guitar?

Last night saw Tara Jane O'Neil, nice set, but too short.

Nope, just electronics and vocal, seems to be her setup now. Blazing incense sticks too hehehe

EVOLghost 06.13.2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
The Cosmic Dead

started really, really good. They had this nicely executed build-up, but once they reached a certain level of intensity, they stayed there. it got boring and I left.

That's kind of how I feel about their music. Some of their songs are a bit too long for their own good. I dig their sound n all....but their music just plateaus and yeah......that's it.

Toilet & Bowels 06.13.2014 09:45 AM

There are just a lot of better psych rock bands than the cosmic dead.

A Thousand Threads 06.13.2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

There are just a lot of better psych rock bands than the cosmic dead.

Indeed!