Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   recent discoveries (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23152)

batreleaser 07.02.2008 09:09 PM

recent discoveries

we havnt had a thread like this in a while. what are some bands or artists youve just discovered that are rocking your world?

me:

gnaw their tongues-one man black/noise project, brutal and filthy as fuck, 'an epiphanic vomiting of blood' is where its at.

rahsaan roland kirk-never heard of this multi instrumentalist, born entertainer, free jazz musician. he rules.'we free kings' and 'domino' are reccomended.

dave philips and related projects-i dont know how this guy went under my radar, some of the most brutal noise ive ever heard. his best solo records are 'the egg and we' and a 'collection of curses'. also, his 80s noise grind band fear of god is fucking nutso, kinda remind me of a sissy spacek but more pure metal likes. and finally, his band with tom smith of to live and shave in la, ohne.

homostupids-good band

the bad trips-good psychedelic from the guy who brought us monoshock and liquorball

toy killers-free jazz no wave, some verrrrrrry skronky shit, check out 'the unlistenable years', weasel walter approves.

atsonicpark 07.02.2008 09:13 PM

Gnaw Their Tongues is pretty cool, I really love Rahsaan Roland Kirk, I have some album of his where you keep hearing cars pass by as he plays his load as fuck horn haha. Never heard the rest, I need to hear toy killers I guess.

Death & the Maiden 07.03.2008 01:59 AM

Gallhammer
Isengard
JS Bach - not really a recent discovery, but I just started listening to his music properly. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is amazing.

atsonicpark 07.03.2008 02:01 AM

Gallhammer rule -- and are pretty hot, too!

ZEROpumpkins 07.03.2008 02:51 AM

Future Sound of London

Florya 07.03.2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Future Sound of London

Where have you been! :)

Florya 07.03.2008 02:53 AM

Wooden Shjips
Vinterriket

ZEROpumpkins 07.03.2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florya
Where have you been! :)

I'm 16. A year ago, Pavement was a recent discovery for me.

Florya 07.03.2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I'm 16. A year ago, Pavement was a recent discovery for me.

Jeebus! 16!
I can't even remember that far back! :D

Death & the Maiden 07.03.2008 06:36 AM

Magik Markers

screamingskull 07.03.2008 06:45 AM

Giant Panda

http://www.myspace.com/giantpanda

█████████ 07.03.2008 07:28 AM

kjetil d brandsdal and noxagt were today's discoveries.

batreleaser 07.03.2008 08:49 AM

Sunday, June 01, 2008

upcoming ugEXPLODE/WW releases
i'm going to be back rocking the east coast (and prob. chicago) in september, so lemme know if you want to pay me to play kick ass free jazz. you will live not to regret it.

on the release horizon, august will have at least 2 awesome new ugEXPLODE releases:

Toy Killers - "The Unlistenable Years" CD: vintage '80-'83 new york noise by madmen drummers Mark E. Miller (Golden Palominos, Ambitious Lovers) and Charles K. Noyes (Invite The Spirit) featuring guest appearances by John Zorn, Bill Laswell, Elliott Sharp and tons more. Guerrilla no wave improv that sounds like DNA on PCP! this is 67 minutes of skronktastic shit. you won't believe it.

the other one will be some quartet music featuring NYC trumpet genius Peter Evans and myself. we're still figuring out what music we're using, but it's going to kick the ass.

there's talk about a limited to 100 copy vinyl edition of my duo with saxophone rager paul flaherty on an italian label. more on that as it develops.

also, i'm thinking about doing a limited edition deluxe gatefold remastered reissue of 2002's "infection and decline" album on vinyl with a poster and free download, etc. is anybody interested in this. it will be totally decked out, so it'll probably cost about 20-25 bucks. it will sound waaaay better than the original issue too. please let me know if this is interesting to anybody. if the response is good, i'll do it.

let me know if you would want to invest in it for copies at manufacturing cost plus postage. basically (like the original trauma lp) you would be paid in copies which you could keep, hoarde or turn around and sell for profit . . .

thanks,

ww
11:35 AM - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment

from weasel walter's myspace blog, where i first heard of toy killers. weasel has some of the best taste in music in the world, so i trust his opinion.

Rob Instigator 07.03.2008 08:56 AM

I have recently "discovered" for myself these acts and am enjoying them very much

Need New Body - I bought their vinyl, thinking it was a no neck blues band (it had the stenciled initials NNB on the cover) but it turned out to be need new body, who I had heard a bit on my space. Great stuff! I liek it a lot

Xiu Xiu- for the past 6 months I cannot get enough xiu xiu. I have been collecting all their output on vinyl. they have cool vinyl. I have CD's as well.

atsonicpark 07.03.2008 09:09 AM

Need New Body has some really cool stuff and some really awful stuff... great drummer though.. love "Where's My Pen"?

Xiu Xiu bore the hell out of me lately but their first few albums are still really good.

batreleaser 07.03.2008 09:10 AM

need new body is pretty damn good. i still love xiu xiu too, everyone seems to have hated 'women as lovers', but i think it ranks with 'la foret' as their best. the tour with prurient should be interesting.

atsonicpark 07.03.2008 09:16 AM

Yeah, xiu xiu isn't a bad band.. yeah, I didn't like the last album but I have been kinda bored with them overall for a while... I guess when a band releases so many albums that are quite similiar in a short span of time, that's something that's going to happen.

Everyneurotic 07.03.2008 09:49 AM

rob: avoid need new body's where's black ben, one of the worse records i've ever heard. ufo is amazing.

Sonic Youth 37 07.03.2008 10:07 AM

Recently started to listen to more Broadcast and Bowery Electric

This Is Not Here 07.03.2008 10:08 AM

Diamanda Galas - No Wave brutal grimness, experimental opera-esque singer