Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Damn Fever To Tell is a great record ! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39523)

dazedcola 04.22.2010 08:43 PM

Damn Fever To Tell is a great record !

I listened to the album entirely today and am completely knocked back. I always thought they were another generic garage band besides that "maps" song which was the only song I enjoyed before. After hearing it though I notice these experimental leanings in their sound but with the thrash of punk to them. They put back the manicness missing from a lot of "art rock", I can even feel a little sonic youth in it.

so is this as good as it gets or are the other albums better?

EVOLghost 04.22.2010 08:52 PM

It's as good as it gets.

atsonicpark 04.22.2010 08:58 PM

I think they just got worse with each release, their first little EP being their best; a nice, quick blast...

I just can't get past Karen's voice, and the overall simplicity of all the songs. I think the guitarist is interesting, in that he's not afraid to play really, really simple, catchy things most of the time (with some really cool tones), but at other times, he piles on quite a few layers of interesting guitar textures. He's actually quite enjoyable, in the way he melds catchy simple riffs with some "artsiness" (for lack of a better word), channeling Pink Flag at times (deceptively simple but there's more going on underneath the surface). You just don't hear many mainstream bands have such an interesting little guitarist. It's punky without playing nothing but generic power chords. I dig that aspect of the band... I just think some of the songs are extremely annoying; and even the good songs have a part or two that is really annoying. Sad Karen is the "star" of the band, she's got some cool outfits, don't really see the appeal besides that. Anyway, probably a good song or two on there.

I do enjoy The Seconds, the drummer's band.

EVOLghost 04.22.2010 09:01 PM

I never felt like listening to anything after their second release with Gold LIon or whatev.s

batreleaser 04.22.2010 09:02 PM

Couple good songs. That's about it.

samuel 04.22.2010 09:07 PM

I enjoy most of the stuff they put out. Their latest album has a few weak tracks, but I love Soft Shock, Skeletons, and Hysteric. I think their strongest record is actually Show Your Bones. Way Out, The Sweets, and Warrior are standouts for me.

GeneticKiss 04.23.2010 12:41 AM

No No No and Y Control are the only good tracks on there IMO. Yes, it's as good as it gets, and even then, it isn't really that good.

davenotdead 04.23.2010 12:55 AM

welcome to 2003.

this is the year 2010.

but yeah, Nick Zinner was a hero of mine back in 03.... he's a pretty cool dude and he does interesting stuff... as others said, its a shame that Karen O has all the sway in that band. Nick did a side project called 'Head Wound City' with some of the dudes from blood brothers... far as i know they only released a 7-minute EP, which had like 8 songs on it... good thrash punk, far as i could tell.
not sure what he's done in the past 4-5 years

automatic bzooty 04.23.2010 01:16 AM

first EP is probably the best all the way through.

i still like a lot of their stuff, songs here and there. i haven't listened to fever to tell for ages...

atsonicpark 04.23.2010 02:04 AM

Ugh. Head Wound City was terrible. Like, two cool guitar lines, the rest of the album was pure trash. I think The Blood Brothers, in general, and everything related to them, was just AWFUL. Adultery is Ripe had a few weird glam post-hardcore songs at least that were listenable, but oh my god.. those dude's VOICES, UGH.

davenotdead 04.23.2010 03:44 AM

haha yeah. i don't like blood brothers. but for 7 minutes i can stand the voices.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2010 08:37 AM

I got it for my girlfriend a couple of years back.

she likes it

I put up with it

SYRFox 04.23.2010 09:02 AM

I like it album. Probably not great in my opinion but definitely a good album. I like their second one better though - Fancy is a fantastic song. I disliked their last one ...

chairman of the bored 04.25.2010 10:16 PM

There are some cool guitar tones and some decent guitar/drum mingling but godDAMN that Karen O is impossible to put up with.

Oh, and the fans...has anyone sat through that DVD of theirs?

infinitemusic 04.25.2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think they just got worse with each release, their first little EP being their best; a nice, quick blast...

I just can't get past Karen's voice, and the overall simplicity of all the songs. I think the guitarist is interesting, in that he's not afraid to play really, really simple, catchy things most of the time (with some really cool tones), but at other times, he piles on quite a few layers of interesting guitar textures. He's actually quite enjoyable, in the way he melds catchy simple riffs with some "artsiness" (for lack of a better word), channeling Pink Flag at times (deceptively simple but there's more going on underneath the surface). You just don't hear many mainstream bands have such an interesting little guitarist. It's punky without playing nothing but generic power chords. I dig that aspect of the band... I just think some of the songs are extremely annoying; and even the good songs have a part or two that is really annoying. Sad Karen is the "star" of the band, she's got some cool outfits, don't really see the appeal besides that. Anyway, probably a good song or two on there.

I do enjoy The Seconds, the drummer's band.

You are the gayest person in the universe.

SonicBebs 04.26.2010 02:28 AM

i like the last album alot too

and the drummer's just as good/interesting as the guitarist (who is very good)

atsonicpark 04.26.2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemusic
You are the gayest person in the universe.

So?

shabbray2.0 04.26.2010 07:17 AM

I totally agree fever to tell is one of my favourite albums and one of the few guitar albums which are flawless in my opinion, at least around that time. the only song which kinda annoys me sometimes is pin, but even that one is kinda good.
I agree with asp about them being in a downward spiral since their debut.
I think they are a band who will do their best if they do it fast. since their second album they overdid it. and it wasnt becoming better that way, it lost the energy.
fever tot tell ftw
saw them 3 times in a timewindow about 3/4 year. one time before fever to tell and two times in the name of that album. they played in the smallest venues in germany and I was damn sure to be in that book which features all those camera shots nick did from the audience at the concert....but every time the picture ends where I begin. that sucks! (just wanted to say that) and the 4th time I saw them was around their release of the second album. still a good gig but in comparison to the first 3 (especially the first two) times it was shit