Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   favorite post rites of spring dischord band (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23526)

uhler 07.16.2008 09:04 PM

favorite post rites of spring dischord band

vote

fugazi is not included because then it would be too easy.

Everyneurotic 07.16.2008 10:16 PM

circus lupus by a hair.

and that would be my final answer even if fugazi were included.

uhler 07.16.2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
circus lupus by a hair.

and that would be my final answer even if fugazi were included.

yeah i knew you wouldn't pick fugazi, but a lot of other people would cheat and pick them.

who did circus lupus beat by a hair?

atsonicpark 07.17.2008 04:25 AM

I wouldn't pick fugazi at all; they'd be the last band I picked probably.

Q and Not U if only for no kill no beep beep... El Guapo if only for Fake French... Warmers for having some of the best drumming I've ever heard... National of Ulysseus for occassionally having an awesome song... or perhaps Jawbox for rocking out weirdly at times........

But I picked Faraquet. Because they're great.

batreleaser 07.17.2008 07:20 AM

ulysses

super_charger 07.17.2008 07:45 AM

I like Jawbox

Everyneurotic 07.17.2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
who did circus lupus beat by a hair?

jawbox.

greedrex 07.17.2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I wouldn't pick fugazi at all; they'd be the last band I picked probably.

But I picked Faraquet. Because they're great.

i love both bands but excuse me but
FUGAZI > Faraquet

can you elaborate on the Fugazi hate?:eek:

PAULYBEE2656 07.17.2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
vote

fugazi is not included because then it would be too easy.

why? too easy for them to come last in the poll????????????

nation of ulysees... for me anyway!

atsonicpark 07.17.2008 11:12 AM

I don't hate Fugazi.

I just think "Argument" is the only really GREAT album they've done. They're usually just kind of boring, I never bother listening to them. Not a bad band by any means.. but almost every band you listed -- hell, maybe every band you listed -- is better.

Derek 07.17.2008 12:33 PM

nation of ulysses

though i would have picked Fugazi if they were on the list heh

atsonicpark 07.17.2008 12:45 PM

uhler 07.17.2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
why? too easy for them to come last in the poll????????????

nation of ulysees... for me anyway!

well i knew they would come i first. everyone loves fugazi except for like 3 people on this board and nofx fans.

k-krack 07.17.2008 02:09 PM

Nation of Ulysses.

What about Black Eyes? One Last Wish?
One Last Wish are one of my favourite 'emo' bands (there are a lot of favourites, though...), and Black Eyes just plain KILLLLLL.

uhler 07.17.2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Nation of Ulysses.

What about Black Eyes? One Last Wish?
One Last Wish are one of my favourite 'emo' bands (there are a lot of favourites, though...), and Black Eyes just plain KILLLLLL.

one last wish wasn't really a dischord band. they only played a handful of shows until they broke up and dischord didn't release their album until 1998 or 99. they are fucking amazing though. also, that's why i put the others choice up.

batreleaser 07.17.2008 04:17 PM

post 80s dischord has been subpar. not the label's fault though i suppose, just the dc scene in general has been over-cluttered with second rate post-hardcore bands. q and not u were onto something special with no kill no beep beep, then..... nothing. i just think dc needs to step up a bit, we dont need anymore dynamic riff rock based post hardcore bands.

uhler 07.17.2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
post 80s dischord has been subpar. not the label's fault though i suppose, just the dc scene in general has been over-cluttered with second rate post-hardcore bands. q and not u were onto something special with no kill no beep beep, then..... nothing. i just think dc needs to step up a bit, we dont need anymore dynamic riff rock based post hardcore bands.

i think some of dischord's new releases of the past few years are stellar. both evens records are amazing. soccer team had a good record. joe lally's records were both great. none of those are riff rock based. i love some of the 90's stuff on dischord like NOU, slant 6, the make-up, the warmers, hoover and jawbox. i can see where you are coming from though.

Pax Americana 07.17.2008 04:44 PM

Well... Fugazi. Then Q And Not U. Then Nation of Ulysses. I dig The Evens too.

Everyneurotic 07.17.2008 06:29 PM

black eyes and hoover are good bands, nothing to get excited about though.

batreleaser 07.17.2008 07:28 PM

i thought the evens, joe lally solo, and soccer team are all terrible. just me. black eyes is pretty good though. and yea, some of the 90s stuff was pretty good, but cmon, the faith, void, minor threat, government issue, rites of spring, youth brigade etc.. or nou, make up, jawbox, faraquet, etc..? there isnt even a comparison between the quality of music between the two decades.