Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Let's talk about shoegaze other than MBV. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20580)

Sonic Youth 37 03.19.2008 11:36 PM

Let's talk about shoegaze other than MBV.

Lately I've really been digging Asobi Seksu, Astrobrite, and lovesliescrushing.

Cantankerous 03.19.2008 11:42 PM

bowery electrics first album was sent from god

Death & the Maiden 03.19.2008 11:57 PM

I really like Ride's Nowhere.

pbradley 03.20.2008 01:12 AM

So, Swirlies.

American shoegaze? Or just alternative/indie/noise rock?

ZEROpumpkins 03.20.2008 01:38 AM

I've never looked much further into shoegaze. I have Loveless and it's a very sad feeling knowing that nothing will come close.

SYRFox 03.20.2008 01:53 AM

Slowdive are really great, and so do The Boo Radleys. I also enjoy other bands, Ride, Chapterhouse, lovesliescrushing... In that neo-shoegaze thing I like Amusement Parks On Fire, Experimental Aircraft, but I think most of the new bands are uber shit, they just take the sound that was done 10 or 15 years ago and copy/paste it, and it sounds cliche.

king_buzzo 03.20.2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Lately I've really been digging Asobi Seksu, Astrobrite, and lovesliescrushing.

awesome bands!

Lately. I've been loving Skywave, A Place To Bury Strangers, Slowdive's earlier stuff, Ceremony and some other stuff but still, little compares to MBV.

I also dislike that era just after loveless when everyone thought 'hey let's make loveless nr 2'; which is exactly what Fleeting Joys did with Despondent Transponder. It doesn't really bother me but it just sucks how they copied the sound.

Swervedriver and Medicine are also fucking cool.

batreleaser 03.20.2008 03:04 AM

i dont like new shoegaze, but i love spacemen 3, slowdive, galaxie 5000, and the boo radleys (glad someone mentioned them i havnt listened to them in yeard).

as for psychedelic bands that border on shoegaze, its all about stars of the lid, autistic daughters, and shit, prolly a lot more.

indie rock bands that border on showgaze like newer flaming lips, deerhunter, and prolly a bunch more as well. im soooo tired.

peace everybody.

king_buzzo 03.20.2008 03:16 AM

i like new shoegaze, some bands are quite cool.

pbradley 03.20.2008 03:28 AM

nu-gazing? lolololol

Cantankerous 03.20.2008 03:39 AM

i like a lot of bands who've been influenced by the 1st wave shoegaze movement but don't directly copy it
scarling and thee heavenly music association are good examples.

_slavo_ 03.20.2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

I do not do this very often, but I absolutely agree with you on this one.

_slavo_ 03.20.2008 04:05 AM

I guess one of the first "shoegaze" tracks ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up6Xh3Gme1w&eurl

And an absolute classic here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxZx2B08Kn8&eurl

_slavo_ 03.20.2008 04:07 AM

Catching up on pbradley's post, I can't avoid mentioning Swirlies:

Swirlies is a band from Boston that formed in 1990. Similar to My Bloody Valentine, they have been referred to as shoegaze musicians. Notorious for loud, wall-of-noise guitar music, as well as a twisted quiet side, Swirlies have a fondness for the phrase "sneakyflute music" to describe their endeavors. Their live shows usually culminate with the mechanical failure of some piece of equipment, or the interminitable tuning of Damon's guitar While Andrew Bernick puked his anxiety (not booze, never ever booze. ..) out by the side of the stage. They have been known to inadvertently break things in hotel rooms and rent-a-vans, and are particularly apt at signing somewhat undesirable (for the band) contracts with people they barely know. These activities have earned them a "bad-boy (and girl)" image in the music industry and have sent them into such a state of financial ruin that they have gone on to pursue graduate student stipends.

demonrail666 03.20.2008 05:25 AM

Has anyone mentioned Moose yet? Not a GREAT band, but I sort of have fond memories. Their song 'Suzanne' was definitely a bit of a Chart Show highlight on a saturday morning, as I recall.

This post will mean absolutely nothing to anybody not living in Britain in the early 90s.

sarramkrop 03.20.2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Has anyone mentioned Moose yet? Not a GREAT band, but I sort of have fond memories. Their song 'Suzanne' was definitely a bit of a Chart Show highlight on a saturday morning, as I recall.

This post will mean absolutely nothing to anybody not living in Britain in the early 90s.

Moose are cool and a much underrated band. Wich albums of theirs do you have? I started digging them because someone had told me at the time that they were the new Smiths, even though they were totally not and don't sound anything like them.

demonrail666 03.20.2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Moose are cool and a much underrated band. Wich albums of theirs do you have? I started digging tthem because someone had told me at the time that they were the new Smiths, even though they were totally not and don't sound anything like them.

I don't know if I ever owned one of their albums. I had an EP (now in the hands of a certain mr Melly) and the 7" of 'Suzanne'. I know that the main guy used to work in the Record and Tape Exchange in Notting Hill and once gave me a cracking deal on some vinyl I was selling. Other than that, they're just a small, but no-less fond, memory.

This Is Not Here 03.20.2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

Yes! You are so right! However, the album that follows, Beat, is equally divinely inspired.

Not sure if anyones ever come across them before, but one forgotten Shoegaze act no one seems to have heard of is a band called Bleach. They released on full-length LP called Killing Time. Theres several E.Ps too, Snag is particularly reccomended. Bleach has probably one of the most abrasive sounds i've heard in Shoegaze.

demonrail666 03.20.2008 06:38 AM

I remember a brilliant 7" put out by Bleach, called 'Dipping'. A bit like Moose, they weren't a great band, but one which I have rather nice memories of. God, whatever happened to them

RdTv 03.20.2008 07:41 AM

I always enjoyed Lush, great harmonics and still the very distraught,disenchanted vocals. A true shoegaze band.