Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 12.27.2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Also, none of ya have said peep about the last three AWESOME albums I have posted pictures of on this thread, and that's why you will die horrible deaths.

Mind if I translate your curmodgeonliness for posterity?:

The Soup Nazi 12.27.2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Mind if I translate your curmodgeonry for posterity?:

I would better translate it as "acknowledge them". The Human Switchboard album, for instance - that's something that could have perfectly been on your post-punk/new wave radar... :)

Antagon 12.27.2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

I would better translate it as "acknowledge them". The Human Switchboard album, for instance - that's something that could have perfectly been on your post-punk/new wave radar... :)

You know, I might consider it. I just don't go for the hard sell. And just a wee bit of "acknowledge me" is in there as well.

Addendum after the initial draft: Okay, I just read the bass player of 8-Eyed Spy and the Raybeats was one of their members. Now I'm really interested, actually and will give it a listen one of these days.

The Soup Nazi 12.27.2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

You know, I might consider it. I just don't go for the hard sell. And just a wee bit of "acknowledge me" is in there as well.

Addendum after the initial draft: Okay, I just read the bass player of 8-Eyed Spy and the Raybeats was one of their members. Now I'm really interested, actually.

Who's Landing In My Hangar? lists three bass players, none of whom were actually bandmembers. According to the liner notes on the original LP, which I've had for ages and recently "rediscovered" (I didn't remember it being so manic at times! Also, you can't tell by the picture I posted, but the background is ultra silvery shiny... Mmmmhh...), "They always had problems. Every time they came [from Cleveland] to town [New York], and every time we talked on the phone, I'd hear about [...] the trouble of finding the right fourth member for three people who had been together through so much that they really weren't like anybody else anymore".

Antagon 12.27.2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Who's Landing In My Hangar? lists three bass players, none of whom were actually bandmembers. According to the liner notes on the original LP, which I've had for ages and recently "rediscovered" (I didn't remember it being so manic at times! Also, you can't tell by the picture I posted, but the background is ultra silvery shiny... Mmmmhh...), "They always had problems. Every time they came [from Cleveland] to town [New York], and every time we talked on the phone, I'd hear about [...] the trouble of finding the right fourth member for three people who had been together through so much that they really weren't like anybody else anymore".

Yeah, George Scott actually died the year before they released that LP. But he was still involved in the production I gather? Listings are a bit vague from what I can tell.

The Soup Nazi 12.27.2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah, George Scott actually died the year before they released that LP. But he was still involved in the production I gather?

No, but there is a dedication that I think is for him: "In memory of the Big Guy".

Antagon 12.27.2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

No, but there is a dedication that I think is for him: "In memory of the Big Guy".

Okay, so he was basically a live musician for their east coast gigs? Anyway, thanks for the input.

The Soup Nazi 12.27.2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Anyway, thanks for the input.

To me, they were one of those bands that without reinventing the wheel end up sounding unique anyway. Christgau gave them a rave review at the time...

Quote:

Who's Landing in My Hangar? [Faulty Products, 1981]
Have rock-and-rollers ever reflected more matter-of-factly on the travails of sexual commitment? Bet both Pfeifer and Marcarian were raised up in the First Church of Humanity (Secular), because unlike Elvis II and the X kids, for instance, they don't find much thrill in confessional--just get annoyed, pissed off, very pissed off, and insane with rage. Also unlike the aforementioned, they get lyrical, quite light and playful in fact, which adds charm to their organ-based garage style. Not many cool guys boasting about their girlfriends' "looks" these days. A

...and mentioned them again in this 1988 SPIN chat with Gerard Cosloy of Homestead Records (and later of course of Matador fame), ostensibly about Daydream Nation and Royal Trux's debut:

Quote:

My problem is that I don't find that there's much room for formal innovation in this music anymore. The innovations people come up with are extremely small, personal, idiosyncratic, and what that means is that they have to hit you where you live or you can live without them. That wasn't true of, say, Human Switchboard, to take one example from six years ago. They had a lot of places to go.

The LP was reissued this year by Fat Possum.

choc e-Claire 12.28.2019 03:05 AM

In memory of Dave Riley.

choc e-Claire 12.28.2019 03:33 AM

_tunic_ 12.28.2019 06:30 AM

https://santasabbath.bandcamp.com/al...-of-the-sleigh

NYCgaf16 12.28.2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
my spotify playlist

i listen to it all the time in shuffle play (you can do it too for the best result)

oh yeah i forgot. rate pls :) :) :)

d.sound 12.28.2019 12:29 PM

Ramones On Loop

EDIT: BOO. I WANT TO YELL THAT IN CAPS LOCK BUT IT WONT LET ME

huh.

RAMONES ON LOOP.

!@#$%! 12.29.2019 01:21 AM

https://billlaswell.bandcamp.com/alb...-western-lands

floatingslowly 12.29.2019 01:28 AM

_tunic_ 12.29.2019 04:46 AM

They ain't no Dalmak, but there are some great tunes on both of them

Savage Clone 12.29.2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly

A fine choice!

Antagon 12.29.2019 07:47 PM

Alright you fucking curmudgeon, I'm gonna give "Who's Landing In My Hangar?" a go now. And damn you if I don't like it (no pressure). :D

Edit: About halfway through and yeah, me likey.

Antagon 12.29.2019 08:44 PM

Right now:

The Soup Nazi 12.29.2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Right now:

Gorgeous album. And the 2CD edition makes it even more so.

(Not just sayin' it because you liked Human Switchboard).