Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Topman Aquire Rights To Sonic Youth's 'Goo' Design? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22278)

raging_nelly 06.02.2008 11:55 AM

Topman Aquire Rights To Sonic Youth's 'Goo' Design?

I heard a vicious rumour off a friend today that the clothing company Topman have aquired the rights to print t-shirts with the cover of Sonic Youth's 'Goo' album on the front.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any information on this? Whether it's true or not?

IMO this isn't another forgivable 'Hits Are For Squares' moment.

Rob Instigator 06.02.2008 12:05 PM

The real question is, does Geffen own the rights to that image, or does Sonic Youth?

if it is geffen, then there is no big deal. They do what they wanna do

If it is Sonic Youth then it is no big deal. They need MONEY to continue their rock, their side projects, their record labels, their endeavors basically, and to pay for their studio bills and equiptment and touring expenses and EVERYTHING, since they are doing it on their own now, not with geffen.

so in other words

WHO CARES?

goo goo goo

Danny Himself 06.02.2008 12:49 PM

Isn't it the property of Raymond Pettibon? I doubt he'd sell it to Topman. If this is true I'm going to personally set fire to every Topman-tit I see on the street wearing one of these.

RanaldoNecro 06.02.2008 01:01 PM

I agree with Rob, It costs alot of coin to tour places like Australia & Europe.

They need MONEY to continue their rock, their side projects, their record labels, their endeavors basically, and to pay for their studio bills and equiptment and touring expenses and EVERYTHING

radarmaker 06.02.2008 01:08 PM

Can't you find Goo t-shirts all over the place these days anyway?

screamingskull 06.02.2008 01:13 PM

sad though, very sad

blunderbuss 06.02.2008 01:15 PM

Bloody hell! Next thing we know they'll be whoring their back catalogue to a coffee house!

(note to self: remember to read the thread a second time before posting weak jokes)

This Is Not Here 06.02.2008 01:30 PM

Didn't they already have the rights? I've seen Goo t-shirts in Topman before

d~rek 06.02.2008 07:20 PM

i've never heard of topman. what's so evil about them?

✌➬ 06.02.2008 07:21 PM

So what???

uhler 06.02.2008 07:30 PM

what is topman? is it like topps basebal cards?

This Is Not Here 06.02.2008 08:47 PM

They're a British chain of highstreet clothes retailer. Whats evil about them? Not alot really. Just alot of people think they suddenly become 'alternative' if they don't shop in Topman.

Dead-Air 06.02.2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Isn't it the property of Raymond Pettibon? I doubt he'd sell it to Topman. If this is true I'm going to personally set fire to every Topman-tit I see on the street wearing one of these.

I'm pretty sure it is the property of Pettibon, and I'm sure he needs the money even more than Sonic Youth. Given where he comes from I'm sure the irony appeals to him immensely too.

This happens to every generation. Jerry Garcia died with a full line of popular selling neckties.

o'connor 06.02.2008 09:16 PM

jerry garcia lol!

ZEROpumpkins 06.03.2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging_nelly
I heard a vicious rumour off a friend today that the clothing company Topman have aquired the rights to print t-shirts with the cover of Sonic Youth's 'Goo' album on the front.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any information on this? Whether it's true or not?

IMO this isn't another forgivable 'Hits Are For Squares' moment.

Sonic Youth? Sell OUT?!?!
NO WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!11

pbradley 06.03.2008 01:17 AM

Sonic Youth are apart of American culture. Deal with it.

Danny Himself 08.02.2008 02:05 PM

WELL, I just saw my first scene twat in a Goo t-shirt, the first of many, I am assuming. My heart sank. I did not follow through with my vows to set fire them, either.

pbradley 08.02.2008 02:13 PM

I want an Unwound shirt. Someone should make me one.

Danny Himself 08.02.2008 02:20 PM

I want a shirt that says 'I hate your life' and then a gun in case somebody copies me.

demonrail666 08.02.2008 02:31 PM

I have no problem with a band selling whatever, wherever. So long as they don't try and claim some kind of underground credibility while they're doing it.

I guess it all depends on who owns the rights though. But then again, it was their decision to sign with Geffen, nobody elses.