Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bands that are blowing your mind lately (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29716)

atsonicpark 03.12.2009 08:54 PM

yeah, it's a cover.

I always tell people, one or two albums.. hell, ten or twenty albums.. don't really convey what scg are all about. You really gotta just delve in and absorb as much as possible. Truely brilliant.

atsonicpark 03.12.2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Bleach 03 have been raping my eardrums quite well of late

Amazing band.

batreleaser 03.12.2009 10:43 PM

i now have 47 scg recordings, 11 richard bishop solo recordings, 7 alvarius b solo recordings, and assorted writings and articles and such. people who are into them are obsessed with them, i.e., favorite band. theyre mine anyways, along with the velvets.

anyways, another band i must mention, COLD CAVE. minimal synth/cold wave band. "Painted Nails" 7" on Hospital is pitch perfect minimal synth but it also is really loud and can get harsh even in thee most danceable parts. Prurient has really turned Hospital into a nifty label, hes mixed it up with all the sickest acts from industrial to power electronics to scuzz punk to black metal to now cool 80s synth stuff.

the other great is "the trees grew emotions and died" 7'. this one is influenced more by lo fi techno and also some of the more upbeat industrial music of the 80s, such as death in june. the last track "heavens gate" is a scorcher and really makes me want to revert back to my ecstasy fried days. as i sit here it makes me want to take 4 hits and have m eyes drain into the bacj of my head while the colliding synths and muted echo vocals sythmically colide into the orifices of my body creating vibrating sensations heightened more by.... ok im not gonna get too crazy with my fantasy there. this shit is wonderful though. i would like to start a band like this as i need a change from freak rock stuff.

atsonicpark 03.12.2009 10:46 PM

I have everything by the sun city girls (which I believe is about 117 albums all together), sir richard bishop, charles gocher, alvarius b and every other side project and related project ever (and collabs) (I'm talking about stuff like eddie detroit, paris 1942, joke flower, new sessions people, square 9, etc. and of course their collabs with people like cerberus shoal) (and everything ever released by abduction and sublime frequencies) except for one item: "AUDIO LETTER TO MITCH MEYERS" I believe is the name. No idea how to get this. I also have two full length .avis of cloaven video casettes, but I'm missing 4. All that stuff together only takes up a surprising 7 gb of hard drive space, so I urge everyone to download as much as possible, considering 99% of it is out of print.

batreleaser 03.12.2009 10:52 PM

eddy detroit "jungle captive" is a hip fucking record. im pretty satisfied with my scg collection as of now, its pretty spread out though between my apartment, my room at my dads, and room at my moms.

also, i finally heard fabolous diamons for the first time after reading the z gun article and having my skepticism squashed. everyone is right, this band is incredible with an utterly unique sound. its like a super hypnotic dubbed out clatter of electronics and horns and percussion but played alongside a traditional punk duo. and it works so well.

also, dead luke for his drunken sailor take on synth punk.

atsonicpark 03.12.2009 10:56 PM

I'm really starting to become overwhelmed by all the unbelievable, amazing music out there. I've always known there was tons of great shit out there but in the past few months I've REALLY started getting into it again (coinciding with REALLY getting into opiates again), it's all just blowing my fucking mind.

pbradley 03.12.2009 11:12 PM

Hot Snakes

Mozart's Requiem in D Minor

uhler 03.12.2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
eddy detroit "jungle captive" is a hip fucking record. im pretty satisfied with my scg collection as of now, its pretty spread out though between my apartment, my room at my dads, and room at my moms.

also, i finally heard fabolous diamons for the first time after reading the z gun article and having my skepticism squashed. everyone is right, this band is incredible with an utterly unique sound. its like a super hypnotic dubbed out clatter of electronics and horns and percussion but played alongside a traditional punk duo. and it works so well.

also, dead luke for his drunken sailor take on synth punk.

i really like dead luke.

the last few days i've really been listening to a lot of comet gain, X, the free kitten cover of "sex boy" (the best thing they have ever done), the hospitals, shangri las, the new dum dum girls ep, one last wish, beat happening, throbbing gristle, us girls

i really like the buckets of bile new cassingle.

Alex's Trip 03.12.2009 11:40 PM

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, particularly House Arrest, Worn Copy, and Scared Famous.

Fuckin' love it. Anyone else a fan?

batreleaser 03.13.2009 09:23 AM

the gories have been in my player non stop, as well as gun club "fire of love" which is one of the greatest records ever created.

also lots of grateful dead because i always seem to use them to mellow olut after the crazy noise stuff.

right mow; international musique concrete ensemble-imce2

really wild improvised concrete stuff from holland that i ripped off of no longer forgotten music. its real cool, sounds like something that the dead machines are always tryi to go for but dont quite have the means to do so.

batreleaser 03.13.2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm really starting to become overwhelmed by all the unbelievable, amazing music out there. I've always known there was tons of great shit out there but in the past few months I've REALLY started getting into it again (coinciding with REALLY getting into opiates again), it's all just blowing my fucking mind.

thats what ive been saying. theres too many good bands, and plus we live in this underground climate where we all have to compete and hunt down for 7 inches and such, its almost a drag. i really wish sometimes that i was normal and could be satisfied listening to what o hear on the radio. but then again, i woulda never heard sun city girls had that been the case.

batreleaser 03.13.2009 10:39 AM

the obscure side of krautrock bands; german oak (third fave kraurock band ever, fucking guitar drug freakouts meets scary satanic atmospherics, "s/t" and "nilfelheim" are fucking sick. brainticket and agitation free also.

narlus 03.13.2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I have everything by the sun city girls (which I believe is about 117 albums all together), sir richard bishop, charles gocher, alvarius b and every other side project and related project ever (and collabs) (I'm talking about stuff like eddie detroit, paris 1942, joke flower, new sessions people, square 9, etc. and of course their collabs with people like cerberus shoal) (and everything ever released by abduction and sublime frequencies) except for one item: "AUDIO LETTER TO MITCH MEYERS" I believe is the name. No idea how to get this. I also have two full length .avis of cloaven video casettes, but I'm missing 4. All that stuff together only takes up a surprising 7 gb of hard drive space, so I urge everyone to download as much as possible, considering 99% of it is out of print.

i'm close to the same, though i measure my collection in shelf inches.

:D

atsonicpark 03.13.2009 03:35 PM

Haha, I'm not wealthy enough yet. One day I want to own actual copies of all of 'em. I only own 2 SCG records currently. :(

It took me years, but I do have every Beefheart album on vinyl, so I'm happy about that at least...

narlus 03.13.2009 09:51 PM

actually, i have to plead ignorance re: joke flower and new sessions people...what's the skinny there?

nevermind, google knows all.

SuperCreep 03.13.2009 10:54 PM

Current 93.

It's really weird since I used to despise them.

pbradley 03.16.2009 01:26 AM

Prurient - Time Began in a Garden

Death & the Maiden 03.16.2009 05:30 AM

I've been listening to Ghost's self titled debut album heaps lately. Ballad of Summer Rounder might be one of my favourite songs ever.

atsonicpark 10.17.2009 05:26 PM

Love Mark McGuire and Lilypad quite a lot, better than Emeralds really. Have you heard Imaginary Softwoods? That's probably the best Emeralds-related band. Peaking Lights are so fucking excellent too.

atsonicpark 10.17.2009 05:26 PM

I've mainly been listening to electronic music lately, like Gridlock, Photek, Surgeon, and so on.