Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gucci Mane is 2010 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41094)

noisereductions 08.27.2010 08:54 AM

Gucci Mane is 2010

rap-wise, Gucci is unstoppable this year. Let's review:

1. Free Gucci: The Best Of The Cold War Mixtapes
Diplo put this one out thru Mad Decent's website early in the year. It's basically electro-remixes of shiz from The Cold War mixtapes (duh) and the Burrprint with DJ Drama. This one is incredible, and will appeal to more than just Gucci fans as the beats are all party appropriate.

2. The Burrrprint 2 HD
though majors still don't quite know how to do a mixtape (hello, we're paying for it this time -- get those DJ drops out of there, and kill the skits already) this one still has some incredible moments: the opening has Gucci spitting over the phone from jail, he has one of the druggiest awesomest love songs he ever released on here, and a rather insane posse cut with "Coca Coca."

3. Mr. Zone 6
teaming back up with Drama, this one is hard. You want to hear gangsta Gucci? Here it is. This is a throwback to his earlier material and it's damn good. All original beats. So yeah, here's the new Gucci album.

4. Jewelry Selection
DUDE IS ON A ROLL. Hello!

now here's the thing, it's only almost September!! Gucci has put out 4 solid mxitapes already. That's one EVERY OTHER MONTH. I mean, seriously! This is really his year. And I'm excited to see what he'll do before the year's over. (I'm pretty sure a major LP is expected for the holiday season)...

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.27.2010 12:33 PM

I love me some Gucci Mane. Probably the only rapper on the radio that I can truly say I enjoy. I'm glad he knocked Lil Wayne off his overrated throne... fuck that guy.

noisereductions 08.27.2010 12:39 PM

alright, let's just avoid the Wayne argument.

But I will say that Gucci Mane's 2009-2010 is comparable to Weezy's 2007-2008. I'd think Gucci is poised to drop a really huge huge huge album, cuz THE STATE VS really wasn't it. I don't think he was quiiiite in the public eye enough yet.

chicka 08.27.2010 12:40 PM

No love for Drake?

noisereductions 08.27.2010 12:43 PM

I do love Drake. But here's what's weird. I still don't have his album. I had been getting all his mixtapes and Young Money mixtapes leading up to the release, I watched the documentary about the album, and I was like "yeah, he's awesome." But I don't know. I don't really like "Miss Me" that much. I didn't really like "Find My Love" that much. And at this point I feel like I have enough drake with all his mixtapes. So its' a weird situation.

Also, as much as I like him -- he's no Gucci. That's for sure. He's awesome, but I dont' actaully think hes' at the level that people make him out to be (yet). He WILL be great. For now he's jus t really really good.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.27.2010 12:50 PM

Drake sounds too much like Wayne to me. Although I do prefer him to Whiney F. Baby (haha, I'm just asking for an NR beatdown), I would never go as far as to call myself a fan.

To me, the real hip-hop winner of 2010 is Esham. I just can't get over how great Suspended Animation turned out, and it's not even because I'm constantly riding his niggy-niggy-nuts.

But yes, as far as popularity goes. Gucci owns 2010.

noisereductions 08.27.2010 01:05 PM

I'm still not into the Esham album. But you have to admit, even one great album can't compete with the consistent streak that Gucci's been on for the past year.

finding nobody 11.15.2010 01:32 AM

I just got Free Gucci: The Best Of The Cold War Mixtapes because of this this thread. I Have had friends that enjoyed Gucci, I honestly never gave him a fair chance until now. I guess I just never got ever his voice. Which is hilarious because the opposite thing always happens with people I know except with Bob Dylan, and I'm always defending him.. anayways I gotta say I'm enjoying it as of track 7. Thanks for posting!