Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   next album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=59836)

mohobishopi 09.30.2011 11:45 AM

next album?

A long-time listener, first-time poster has a question... has there been any news or gossip about a new SY album? The Eternal is over 2 years old, and the band has been releasing a new album every 2-3 years for the past twenty years or so, so I was hoping a new one was in the pipeline.

Count Mecha 09.30.2011 12:13 PM

I seem to vaguely recall an article from a little while back during the early summer that said they would start writing again somewhere around, well now I guess. So maybe they're at it again, or who knows. You'd expect there would probably be some news if that were the case.

Pelle 09.30.2011 01:54 PM

Well, aren't they supose to be recording/writing material like right now?

Read earlier this summer that they were gonna get together to work on an album..but who knows?

RanaldoNecro 09.30.2011 02:36 PM

Hate to sound cynical but things don't look great right now. The members seem pretty immersed in their own projects. Maybe SY is an afterthought?

deflinus 10.01.2011 11:02 AM

Seems likely that they're writing/recording now.
Especially since Lee's finished with his solo, which I'm impatiently waiting for

EVOLghost 10.01.2011 11:06 AM

they will release new material tomorrow.

badgercorn 10.01.2011 02:34 PM

This interview with Thurston explains why they've taken most of this year off : http://www.nme.com/news/sonic-youth/57009

"there isn’t a question mark hanging over the audience any more. Like they’ve figured it out and they appreciate it.” He added: “That's totally fine and those gigs are totally fine but they’re also a bit business as usual and that kind of turns me off a little bit. So I wanted to back away from that for a while and do other work.”

Pelle 10.01.2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
they will release new material tomorrow.

...and you know that because...

E. Noisefield 10.01.2011 09:11 PM

I would really like a new studio album within the next year.

Love the side projects, loved SYR 9, but the Eternal left me hangin' a bit. If that's their swan song, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Lose Ibold, dim the production, and give us at least one more milestone album. Something akin to the absolutely spotless and perfect ATL and Murray Street, either of which would have served fine as a final album.

Eternal was great, and I should give it some more listens and update my take on it, but it wasn't great for SY.

noisereductions 10.01.2011 09:24 PM

I honestly think Eternal was a better album that ATL. I dont care if I get hate. ATL would have been an amazing SYR sans vocals, but I don't love the mix on it. Murry Street is untouchable though.

EVOLghost 10.02.2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I honestly think Eternal was a better album that ATL. I dont care if I get hate. ATL would have been an amazing SYR sans vocals, but I don't love the mix on it. Murry Street is untouchable though.

dood.

wombagruff69 10.02.2011 08:04 AM

You can't just expect them to be studio rats all the time, if they have more time to develop songs it will be a much better album

Murmer99 10.02.2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Murry Street is untouchable though.

not sure I agree with Eternal being better than ATL... but Murray Street truly is a masterpiece. Rain on Tin is one of my favorite SY songs by far.. just one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

EVOLghost 10.02.2011 11:51 AM

^ hell yeah!

Pelle 10.02.2011 03:48 PM

Actually, I'm more interested in SYR10 than a studioalbum...but I dunno..

SonicBebs 10.02.2011 05:10 PM

wish lee would hurry up and release his solo already

think i read that it was all done, but not due for release until early next year? wtf?

E. Noisefield 10.02.2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

ATL > Murray Street for me.

Murray Street is probably a higher quality record, but ATL is special to me for a number of reasons.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 10.03.2011 01:48 PM

i think the new album has a color in the title.