Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 08.20.2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Sounds like some kind of an interlude though. Just left me wanting more.. much more.

The low pitched voice was also pretty annoying. It's cool in small doses and served its purpose on the song, but I kept waiting for him to use his normal voice.

You want more? Listen to Endless. It's a 45 minute "song," with a bunch of different little movements. Might just be a preview of the new album, but maybe not.

It's quite a bit different. Starts out with a low-key Jazz feel, then morphes into what I can only describe as some IDM shit w/ vocals. Not crazy mathematical IDM, more like "Avril 14" type stuff, with understated twitches and glitches all over the place. I hear James Blake was part of the production team, and you can hear it.

I was pretty impressed, I must say. Though I don't really understand why it needed to be a "visual" project. The accompanying video was just a bunch of super high contrast black and white images of dudes hanging out in that big room from the teaser, welding, chilling, holding head in hands. Musically though it was pretty goddamn awesome.

louder 08.20.2016 05:14 PM

Listened to "Endless", I think it was a bunch of sketches that didn't make it to the album? Anyway, it was very surreal.. some Beatles-esque harmonies.. beautiful. And Frank is a damn good MC now. When it was over, I barely remembered anything, felt like I just woke up from a dream.

And he just posted this on his site, so I think the album drops tonight:

Severian 08.20.2016 05:44 PM

Nice.

I'm excited. It's about goddamn time.

If what's on Endless was outtakes from BDC, and the album itself is even better, then... wow.

Severian 08.20.2016 09:18 PM

The new album (the other new album) is called "Blonde" or "Blond" ... It's out now. I bought that shit. :D

pepper_green 08.20.2016 09:53 PM

after those vids....im really interested in the new Frank Ocean. hoping I should expect something different from the normal r&b norm. from what I hear im excited!

EDIT: fuck it. I bought it.

pepper_green 08.20.2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
The new album (the other new album) is called "Blonde" or "Blond" ... It's out now. I bought that shit. :D

right!! what is it exactly?

louder 08.20.2016 11:48 PM

Drake is not gonna like this verse..

"After 20 years in
I'm so naive I was under the impression that everyone wrote they own verses
It's comin' back different and yea that shit hurts me
I'm hummin' and whistlin' to those not deserving
I'm stumbled and lift every word, was I working just way too hard?
"

THANK YOU ANDRE.

pepper_green 08.21.2016 12:25 AM

im definitely loving it. "Ivy" and "Pink and White".

Severian 08.21.2016 12:33 AM

I'm liking everything. Endless is being called a separate "long player," so that's two Frank albums in as many days. NICE.

Loving Blond so far. Loving the feel of Endless just as much.
This might end up being my #2 alb. of the year.

louder 08.21.2016 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Apparently it's not even THE other new album.. because Frank is set to drop ANOTHER album next weekend. Oh boy.

louder 08.21.2016 01:07 AM

Sev, did you miss the sub Andre threw at Drake (which I posted in the last page)??

louder 08.21.2016 01:57 AM

Two new Frank albums over two days. Another one on the way.
Aaand 3K (sorta) dissed Drake. Thank God. :(

This is too much for me, haha.. my head is spinning.

louder 08.21.2016 09:13 AM

"Blond" doesn't do much for me yet.. it might grow but so far I definitely prefer "Endless."

Channel Orange is still my favorite overall though.

guest 08.21.2016 09:30 AM

I'm very much the opposite, never understood what was apparently so special about channel orange as it just sounded like an okay rehash of stuff that came before it -- albeit very well produced -- whereas this actually stands up to the unfortunate mythology he's had to bear, it's a genuinely interesting/endearing pop record which approaches the whole concept of r&b uniquely (where his earlier stuff resoundingly did not) as to sort of avoid having to come at it from a specific angle in the first place.

pepper_green 08.21.2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
"Blond" doesn't do much for me yet.. it might grow but so far I definitely prefer "Endless."

Channel Orange is still my favorite overall though.

huh!?! I think it's unique.

louder 08.21.2016 09:49 AM

It is in a way, but it doesn't move me. Andre's little song was my favorite by far.

pepper_green 08.21.2016 09:54 AM

wow! dude, I think it's an excellent R&B album and even a little complex.

louder 08.21.2016 09:56 AM

I agree it's a lot more complex than cO, but complexity is not something I necessarily look for in music.

noisereductions 08.21.2016 10:45 AM

I think I listened to Nostalgia Ultra a lot more than Channel Orange.

louder 08.21.2016 10:48 AM

I love that mixtape too. That's my 2nd favorite behind cO.