Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Calming the Snake" (Live in Chile) Video (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30052)

Moshe 04.03.2009 12:26 AM

"Calming the Snake" (Live in Chile) Video

Sonic Youth

"Calming the Snake" (Live in Chile) (Video)

April 2, 2009 3:47 p.m. by Andrew Winistorfer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK3C4...layer_embedded

Under normal circumstances, a fan-made video of a new song performed in Chile by an indie rock band won't get written up, but the video above is from some upstart outfit (kidding) named Sonic Youth, who have a new album out in June, that apart from a Newsweek sampler , we haven't heard anything off of. Sonic Youth played in Chile last weekend, and among their set of mostly greatest hits, they busted out "Calming the Snake" a ripping and roaring new track from The Eternal . The video leaves much to be desired in terms of what Lee Ranaldo is up to on this song, but we know Kim and Thurston totally wail on this one. I can't speak for the rest of the album, but if it sounds like this, I'm definitely interested.

pbradley 04.03.2009 01:09 AM

Calming the Snake and Sacred Trickster are really short songs. Almost disappointingly so. Needs more sonic break down sprawling.

Still enjoy what there is, of course.

greenlight 04.03.2009 01:33 AM

thanks!

Dead-Air 04.03.2009 02:08 AM

That was a pretty damn good song despite the poor recording quality. Definitely seems they're rocking it a bit more than RR, and with some neat bursts of noise. I'm definitely excited.

nicfit 04.03.2009 03:40 AM

Dunno, I don't think it's much of a big deal to see a video of a song we get to know months ago as "Mars" :D, still it's quite nice and cool, too bad the camera is fixed on T+K.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 04:13 AM

From what I can tell, this song is cool.

Jazzmasters make me cum.

nicfit 04.03.2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Jazzmasters make me cum.

Jizzmasters

Death & the Maiden 04.03.2009 05:33 AM

It sounds alright.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 05:36 AM

You know what would be amazing, in all seriousness? A Malice Mizer/Sonic Youth collab.

_slavo_ 04.03.2009 05:50 AM

The song's good.

Death & the Maiden 04.03.2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

You know what would be amazing, in all seriousness? A Malice Mizer/Sonic Youth collab.

Yeah, Sonic Youth with harpsichords, pipe organs, choirs and music boxes would be pretty amazing.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 06:25 AM

yes.

Kosako 04.03.2009 09:44 AM

I can't understand why people in this forum are making a big deal about SY recording their next album in a couple of month. I just saw "calming the snake" in YouTube.com and I think it's quite raw rock and roll, I miss the Confusion Is Next or Bad Moon Rising era, or even Evol era. They were like don't worrying about chords or tunes, or stuff. That song, for me, is really good, and I will be looking forward to get the next album soon.

[Sandbag] 04.03.2009 09:52 AM

sounds good. kim's melody at 1:10 or somethings seems worked. it was just a horrible mumbling in earlier versions

btw..whats this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gt265l6XYg

[Sandbag] 04.03.2009 10:35 AM

sounds..good

SYRFox 04.03.2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosako
I can't understand why people in this forum are making a big deal about SY recording their next album in a couple of month. I just saw "calming the snake" in YouTube.com and I think it's quite raw rock and roll, I miss the Confusion Is Next or Bad Moon Rising era, or even Evol era. They were like don't worrying about chords or tunes, or stuff. That song, for me, is really good, and I will be looking forward to get the next album soon.

wait... what?

mil_pl 04.03.2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
wait... what?

exactly.

greedrex 04.03.2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosako

:confused::confused::confused:

Kosako 04.03.2009 12:08 PM

There is a post from some guy who is saying that he has his doubt about a record being produced in a couple of month; ok? Get it? Well, I'm saying I don't care if Sonic Youth take 20 years or 2 month, the song "calming... " sounds pretty power and raw to me. Still waiting for "The Eternal" with the same anxiousness (is that word right?) as before.

greedrex 04.03.2009 12:15 PM

^^ anxiety

actually i get yr post now.
everything back to normal again.

mil_pl 04.03.2009 12:27 PM

and again.

joe11121 04.03.2009 03:10 PM

song sounds great.

Rob Instigator 04.03.2009 03:28 PM

the o nly way I know how to calm the snake is to either slay the dragon or choke the chicken

summer 04.03.2009 04:37 PM

I don't understand how close-minded some of SY's fans are..
"There needs to be more noise breakdowns" "These new songs are too short"
Like this isn't exclusive to just Sonic Youth obviously.. At least Sonic Youth's fanbase isn't as obnoxious as Tool's can be, but just, wow? It's still good music, so what if it's shorter? 100% is a great song and it was shorter. Winner's Blue, Eliminator Jr, Tom Violence, Mary-Christ, they're all relatively shorter songs, but they're all also great songs, that still have the Sonic Youth sound to it (well mostly, Winner's Blues doesn't sound too much like SY but that's fine)
I'd say shorter songs are actually better.. going off on a tangent, that's why I love My Bloody Valentine and would call them my favorite band.. they write pop music. Pop music is the best kind of music, but straight pop music, that's boring. To make it good you have to add your own twist. That's why bands like My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth are so good.. they write pop music pure and simple, but know how to make it their own.
Apologies for the angry man ramble. >.>

Rob Instigator 04.03.2009 04:41 PM

keep ramblin my man.

sonic youth have always used elemtns of pop structure, but to call their music pop is a disservice.

Kim Gordon said it best.

and I paraphrase of course

Pop is an attempt to perfect an old genre, an attempt to craft a beautiful melody and song from what are established musical norms.

Rock is about innovation, to create beautiful music that does not require perfection or expertise, to craft songs that are visceral and raw and unpolished and unrefined. In other words, rock is a big FUCK YOU to established musical order.

SONIC YOUTH IS ROCK

samuel 04.03.2009 05:16 PM

And besides... this album will have longer tracks too.

Massage the History 9:43
Antenna 6:13
Anti-Orgasm 6:08
Malibu Gas Station 5:39
Walkin' Blue 5:21

I like the variety of time lengths.

Also, I must repeat many others and say Kim's voice sounds so good.

pbradley 04.03.2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
I don't understand how close-minded some of SY's fans are..
"There needs to be more noise breakdowns" "These new songs are too short"

LOL

I just feel as though Calming the Snake had prime real estate for a sonic jam.

I even said I still like it regardless.

I don't understand how hyper sensitive some of SY's fans are.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 07:08 PM

Keep in mind, again, it's live, and the actual recording is probably going to have some more guitar layers and is going to sound different than what I can make out of it this recording.

Obvious but needs to be said before people tear into it too much.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.03.2009 08:02 PM

The Ibold bass riff at the start is $$$$$$$$$$

here's another angle from that show..below
linkus maximus

pbradley 04.03.2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

before people tear into it

:rolleyes:

ybag_girl 04.03.2009 09:37 PM

=) cool

joe11121 04.03.2009 09:42 PM

The more live vids I hear the more excited I am getting for the release of this album. + the preview was awesome.

to.w 04.04.2009 04:57 AM

there's a vid (quite bad quality) of sacred Trickster too

diskaholic-anonymous 04.04.2009 08:51 AM

ahhhh! anxiousness!!!

Gary Black 04.04.2009 03:11 PM

Sounds fantastic! I really can't wait for the new LP.

Kosako 04.06.2009 08:13 AM

Any way to get forward to the release date??? Anyone with a time machine!??? Please!!!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.06.2009 01:28 PM

Am I the only one that hates when Kim sings like a little girl?

Rob Instigator 04.06.2009 01:37 PM

yes, you are. that's when I stroke it.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.06.2009 01:41 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.

Derek 04.06.2009 01:41 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.