Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

Kuhb 01.21.2017 03:57 AM

Just saw Dinosaur Jr in a pub that was way too small for J's three huge stacks. Was the best thing ever

greenlight 01.27.2017 07:16 AM

hey, just got 2 tick. for Interpol in Prague playing their Turn On The Bright Lights in full. my guilty pleassure. is that the right expression for it in English? that was one and only album by them I loved. I would listened to it over and over back then.

Severian 01.27.2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
hey, just got 2 tick. for Interpol in Prague playing their Turn On The Bright Lights in full. my guilty pleassure. is that the right expression for it in English? that was one and only album by them I loved. I would listened to it over and over back then.


"Guilty pleasure" would definitely apply to most Interpol, since they have been embarrassingly bad since 2003. But Turn on the Bright Lights speficially is more of a nostalgic pleasure. That was a genuinely good album. Not the best album of 2002 for fuck's sake, but good nonetheless.

I listened to it a lot in 2002 also. I remember thinking the climax of "PDA" was, like, everything I loved about music at the time. I was more taken by Trail of Dead that year — before THEY turned into an embarrassing shit-show — because Source Tags & Codes sounded almost like Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth at times. Not so much that it felt like an overt ripoff (Interpol kinda did sound like an overt ripoff of Joy Division and several other bands), but enough that it psyched me up.

Too bad both bands turned out to be ... awful... after hype and fame hit. Like, really bad. Worse than Modest Mouse version 2.0.

greenlight 01.27.2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
"Guilty pleasure" would definitely apply to most Interpol, since they have been embarrassingly bad since 2003. But Turn on the Bright Lights speficially is more of a nostalgic pleasure. That was a genuinely good album. Not the best album of 2002 for fuck's sake, but good nonetheless.

I listened to it a lot in 2002 also. I remember thinking the climax of "PDA" was, like, everything I loved about music at the time. I was more taken by Trail of Dead that year — before THEY turned into an embarrassing shit-show — because Source Tags & Codes sounded almost like Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth at times. Not so much that it felt like an overt ripoff (Interpol kinda did sound like an overt ripoff of Joy Division and several other bands), but enough that it psyched me up.

Too bad both bands turned out to be ... awful... after hype and fame hit. Like, really bad. Worse than Modest Mouse version 2.0.


nicely said. fuck, I forgot about Another Morning Stoner. one of my hymns of 2002. yeah they turned into something awful later.

Severian 01.27.2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
nicely said. fuck, I forgot about Another Morning Stoner. one of my hymns of 2002. yeah they turned into something awful later.


How about "How Near, How Far?" That was my jam. I think that was my favorite song of that year actually. God they had the fire ... and they were great live too. Then they turned into some wussy ripoff of SDRE and, somehow, Smashing Pumpkins ... only with more pomp. Yuck.

That album was good though. So neither Turn on the Bright Lights not Source Tags and Codes counts as a guilty pleasure. If you enjoy anything else by those bands, then that probably counts. ;)

Blood_Promise 01.31.2017 09:28 AM

Swans. The last time, or so they say.

_tunic_ 01.31.2017 01:14 PM

Both Bettie Serveert and Magnapop are touring the Netherlands next month (not together though). So I will go see them most probably. Haven't decided when or where yet.
Will be a nice flashback to the early nineties especially the terrific Magnapop that I saw like four times in one week many many years ago in 1991 or 1992.

stu666 02.22.2017 04:55 PM

October 15th - The Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Cafe OTO

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/aeoc-day-one/

Bertrand 02.22.2017 05:58 PM

Thee Oh Sees come to town!
Rennes, 19th may

greenlight 03.13.2017 09:33 AM

Sarah Davachi is coming to Vienna. thinking to go.

Blood_Promise 03.13.2017 12:50 PM

moving to London next month, planning to see Marc Ribot, Those Poor Bastards, and perhaps, if I can find someone selling their tickets - Bill Callahan. well and Nick Cave on September. hope all the music will somehow soothe my negative attitude towards London.

greenlight 03.13.2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise
moving to London next month, planning to see Marc Ribot, Those Poor Bastards, and perhaps, if I can find someone selling their tickets - Bill Callahan. well and Nick Cave on September. hope all the music will somehow soothe my negative attitude towards London.


negaitive attitude towards London. i have it same with London. do not know why. cool place for a happenings tho.

ilduclo 03.13.2017 05:40 PM

Ribot solo? Should be good. He's going to do some duets w/David Hidalgo (from Los Lobos) in Japan, those should be fantastic. Ribot loves Hispanic music!

Blood_Promise 03.15.2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
negaitive attitude towards London. i have it same with London. do not know why. cool place for a happenings tho.

I lived in Berlin for a while and well... London pales in comparison. It is so tense. Perhaps I need to spend more then a few weeks to get used to it, but now this Brexit thing is really worrisome.

I almost forgot: seeing Swans this Friday, Little Annie is opening!

greenlight 03.15.2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise
I lived in Berlin for a while and well... London pales in comparison. It is so tense. Perhaps I need to spend more then a few weeks to get used to it, but now this Brexit thing is really worrisome.

I almost forgot: seeing Swans this Friday, Little Annie is opening!


I preffered Paris over London somehow. do not know how about now.

Swans played just around the corner yesterday (2 hrs drive) and Little Annie was opening as well. did not go. seen them last summer.

Wolf Eyes are coming to town tho!

_tunic_ 03.23.2017 02:18 PM

Friday: Flying Horseman
Saturday: Bettie Serveert

and much later:
24/5 Terry Riley, with support: Lubomyr Melnyk
and also in May: Esmerine in a chapel (if I can find out how to get tickets for it..)

ilduclo 03.23.2017 03:37 PM

Mt Eerie/Lori Goldston

_slavo_ 03.24.2017 09:18 AM

Black Heart Procession and Wolf Eyes, hopefully, next week

betweenthebars 03.24.2017 07:04 PM

Meat Puppets w/ Mike Watt and Grant Hart

latorami 04.01.2017 10:24 AM

im going to see:
ELVIS DEPRESSEDLY + TV GIRL + MYSTERY LANGUAGE all the same day for FREE!!! im really hyped. Plus it's in ten days (11th of april) so yeah cool

latorami 04.01.2017 10:24 AM

oh yeah I'm also seeing Radiohead the tenth of june. fucking hype

gogologogolo 04.01.2017 11:37 AM

I might go see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard in Vegas in two weeks. I get the impression from their albums that they'd be a great live act.

Tool is coming to my hometown in June, but nose-bleed tickets are over $100 so I dunno...

Severian 04.01.2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betweenthebars
Meat Puppets w/ Mike Watt and Grant Hart


Fucking awesome. I am jealous.

Severian 04.01.2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Black Heart Procession and Wolf Eyes, hopefully, next week


Holy shit, together? That's a great bill. It's been a week (I think... roughly). Did you go? How was it?

Love me some Black Heart Procession (and Three-Mile Pilot, but I'm not sure they exist anymore :( ) and I'm neck deep in a rediscovery of Wolf Eyes thanks to their awesome ... just fucking awesome new LP. Oh man.

Pookie 04.21.2017 02:00 PM

Half Japanese

Severian 04.21.2017 04:16 PM

Hey, I got to see the Flaming Lips after all!

Think I've seen them more than I saw SY at this point.

Bertrand 04.22.2017 04:26 PM

Considering going to the Levitation French franchise festival this september in Angers.
There'll be Acid Mothers Temple, Slowdive and others.

This august, perhaps, another festival, in Saint-Malo.
PJ Harvey, thee Oh Sees the same day, with the usual band you've never heard of and you'd like to give a try.

Next month: Moon Hooch in Rennes

Severian 04.22.2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Considering going to the Levitation French franchise festival this september in Angers.
There'll be Acid Mothers Temple, Slowdive and others.

This august, perhaps, another festival, in Saint-Malo.
PJ Harvey, thee Oh Sees the same day, with the usual band you've never heard of and you'd like to give a try.

Next month: Moon Hooch in Rennes


I have no real interest in the Slowdive reunion for some reason. I'm all reunioned out. But I'm ALWAYS up for Acid Mother's Temple. In fact, that reminds me — I haven't listened to AMT in ages. Gonna correct that fucking problem right bloody now!

PJ Harvey with Thee Oh Sees? That sounds like a pretty goddamn good show.

Hey... it's almost May, and that means it's almost time for Thee Oh Sees to release another album like they do every year. I wonder if they'll continue with the trend this year, or if An Odd Entrances — that companion to A Weird Exits — covered their quota for 2016-2017.

Bertrand 04.23.2017 05:55 AM

Not to forget: how long will Paul Quattrone stay in Thee Oh Sees?

Severian 04.23.2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Not to forget: how long will Paul Quattrone stay in Thee Oh Sees?


Anyone's guess really. He only just joined in January or something. But it would be silly I suppose to imagine that he's permanent. Very little about Thee Oh Sees is reliable other than rock and album releases.

But if I understand you correctly, your point is that you should hit the show up because who knows how long this configuration will last? And I agree. If it were me, I'd be there.

_tunic_ 05.09.2017 11:22 AM

Godspeed You Black Emperor are playing a very special show on 10 June in the south of Belgium. Read about it here (if you understand Dutch)
It's a free event, and they will play specially written music for this event. The event is to remember an apparently epic battle of World War I on 7 june 1917.
But I don't think I'll be able to make it :-(

Some more info is here as well: https://www.zerohour.info/
but that's also in Dutch only

Bytor Peltor 05.19.2017 04:58 PM

Tomorrow night......The Hunger are opening:
 

EVOLghost 05.20.2017 09:13 AM

http://www.bluewhalemusic.com/event/...th-and-friends

Haco is playing a show tomorrow night. I'm hoping I can go. I really want to see her live.

Severian 05.20.2017 09:31 AM

Not Kendrick Lamar apparently :(

But on the upside, I'm fixing to see Dinosaur Jr. over the summer for the first time in a while. Pretty excited about that.

Severian 05.20.2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Godspeed You Black Emperor are playing a very special show on 10 June in the south of Belgium. Read about it here (if you understand Dutch)
It's a free event, and they will play specially written music for this event. The event is to remember an apparently epic battle of World War I on 7 june 1917.
But I don't think I'll be able to make it :-(

Some more info is here as well: https://www.zerohour.info/
but that's also in Dutch only


You should try to make it. This sounds like something worth seeing.

Also, I can't help but think that this is the kind of thing the band might release as a live recording. Not that they're big on that... in fact I don't think they've ever done it, period. But still, it's been a couple of years since their last album, and for some reason this feels like the kind of move they might make. It also seems like a nice combination... WWI-soundtracky type stuff and GY!BE. Y'dig?

Like, Trent Reznor found a nice outlet for his music in soundtracking dark ass David Fincher movies. Mogwai did some nice work on Atomic. Etc.

Blah.

_tunic_ 05.30.2017 04:55 AM

hurray! i'll be seeing Oiseaux-Tempête again, they play Brussels this Friday.

Unfortunately I really can't go to that Godspeed show in Belgium, as I have other obligations, sort of a family reunion. But they will be doing a full Europe tour in November

_slavo_ 05.31.2017 04:25 AM

Visible Cloaks tonight

super-psyched for this.

ilduclo 05.31.2017 06:48 AM

So, did you see Haco? She's fantastic!

Severian 05.31.2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Visible Cloaks tonight

super-psyched for this.


AWESOME!!!

Another Visible Cloaks person! Nice. Enjoy yourself!

_slavo_ 05.31.2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
AWESOME!!!

Another Visible Cloaks person! Nice. Enjoy yourself!


Abslutely. Me and mr. greenlight (fellow boardie) will go together.

Their album was very interesting indeed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth