Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   reassess the entire SY back catalog (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15971)

scott v 08.31.2007 09:45 AM

reassess the entire SY back catalog

lets do it all now in one great fatal swoop!

whoopie!!!

sarramkrop 08.31.2007 09:50 AM

Something that many a frustrated or untalented artist seem to use as an emotional punchbag. I could do better than that, but that will do for now.

sonicl 08.31.2007 09:51 AM

Fatal? How's it gonna be fatal? Is someone going to be crushed to death under a huge pile of vinyl?

Everyneurotic 08.31.2007 09:54 AM

supposed to be funny, eh? actually, let's discuss the magik markers discography, and everytime someone says they suck or that they only listen to them because of their sy connections you get mad and start insulting people, ok?

Everyneurotic 08.31.2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Something that many a frustrated or untalented artist seem to use as an emotional punchbag. I could do better than that, but that will do for now.

oh didn't see that.

spot on.

scott v 08.31.2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
supposed to be funny, eh? actually, let's discuss the magik markers discography, and everytime someone says they suck or that they only listen to them because of their sy connections you get mad and start insulting people, ok?

uh are who are you defending?
please gimmee a break...
i believe their are a few posters that insult people for listening to the magik markers or a slew of other bands that think that kiss SY's-ass or vice-versa and really has some snivelous ultra-negative-trivial-quick witted smart ass remarks about anything related to on a fair number of bands that have been discussed on this forum, including one's view of kim's vocals relating to what is to be related to her nasty menstrual patterns??? geezus...

don't put " words in my mouth" about what i really didn't say or imply...
who did i personally insult?

your arguement is weak, think about that before you right your little post.

atsonicpark 08.31.2007 10:17 AM

i am starting to regret starting the "reassessing" trend (didn't think it would be a trend).

uh..

their best album is silver sessions, followed by confusion, followed by sister, followed by daydream, followed by a thousand leaves, followed by bad moon rising, followed by goodbye 20th century, followed by evol, followed by nyc ghosts and flowers, and followed by self-titled. there.

oh, and as far as me being brought up in some capacity, i get some negative attention on here because i am quick to criticize the shitty aspects of sy and magik markers and so on, but i guess people overlook when i equally praise aspects of bands, too... considering i can find good in anything in life... if kim's vocals sound like shit, they sound like shit. if magik markers are boring, infatile bullshit, then i'm going to say so. who gives a fuck, feel free to disagree.

Everyneurotic 08.31.2007 10:20 AM

...no, i wasn't talking about him, you've gone apeshit over other people (including me) about not liking magik markers.

i think it's really stupid for you to go out of your way to demonstrate your dislike for these "reassesing" threads, which seems to me, that you want everybody to accept everything sy release as dogma.

and there you insulting me, nice.

scott v 08.31.2007 10:22 AM

ah! atsonicpark gave the exact response i was hoping for... not the smart-ass comment that has already appeared.

sorry i contributed to the "trend"... i have nothing against those reassessing threads.

atsonicpark 08.31.2007 10:23 AM

eh.

i don't know how i got brought up to begin with.

but anyway..

sarramkrop 08.31.2007 10:26 AM

Sonic Youth aren't immune to criticism like even the air that we breathe isn't, but the way their music is often written about on this forum is like a bunch of self-obsessed, frustrated, out there to prove themselves on the internet (of all places), irritating idiots would write about something.

scott v 08.31.2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
...no, i wasn't talking about him, you've gone apeshit over other people (including me) about not liking magik markers.

i think it's really stupid for you to go out of your way to demonstrate your dislike for these "reassesing" threads, which seems to me, that you want everybody to accept everything sy release as dogma.

and there you insulting me, nice.

i think its being misinterpretted... i just don't like to see the negativity about any band really even if its about milli vanilli!!! because whats the point? it really runs rappent through out this board... so you don't like them, i really don't care, but i find it sickening reading the repeated post about something that someone "hates to death", and it exists in threads that praise recent releases or shows or tours etc etc... i mean if you want to bash a band, start a topic and clearly state "you are bashing _________ ." i have nothing against some stating their opinion but some folks repeatedly regurgitate their thoughts over and over and over... its a free board you can type what you want but it is abit annoying. i've stopped trying to defend about what i listen to...

sorry for my sarcasm on the reassessing threads. i was actually listing some more obscure releases to see the thoughts on those, not really showing on dislike to the previous threads.

sorry i insulted you.

atsonicpark 08.31.2007 10:36 AM

"i just don't like to see the negativity about any band really even if its about milli vanilli!!!"

Wow.. I can't even think of a response to that.

demonrail666 08.31.2007 02:39 PM

How crap that the 'reassess' threads I started have caused so much irritation. They were intended as nothing more than a bit of fun and a way of killing some time on my part. For this I apologise and promise that in future I'll only start threads that criticise those started by other people.

Everyneurotic 08.31.2007 02:49 PM

well, i get it, it sucks to like music and then have someone destroy it with their point of view.

still, i think criticism is good, so as to understand different people's difference in taste and the appreciation of quality of a recording/live show/band in general. and, let's face it, we're outspoken assholes (at least on the internet).

i also think it's good that people present very strong opinions, it shows how much they like and care about an artist.

nicfit 08.31.2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
How crap that the 'reassess' threads I started have caused so much irritation. They were intended as nothing more than a bit of fun and a way of killing some time on my part. For this I apologise and promise that in future I'll only start threads that criticise those started by other people.

I think you did good.
Even better, you didn't bump them pointlessly.
So thumbs up from me (rep points too) for them.
I don't feel like reading this thread actually, gonna go out soon.

pbradley 08.31.2007 03:04 PM

I like the reassessment threads. They give me something to look for in the music that I might not have noticed before. There's nothing better than seeing something in the right light and realizing how amazing it really is.

I still don't like "Dirty Boots" though.

k-krack 08.31.2007 03:28 PM

I like the reassessment threads, but I rthink they should be spaced out more, instead of like. one every few hours. Even one every day is a bit much, let's have a weekly thread, eh eh!

The same happened with the classic albums thread. It was fine, until it got out of hand and there were ten thousand classic albums a day.

atsonicpark 09.01.2007 07:17 AM

actually, i started the first reassessing thread, haha.

but demonrail continued them.. a lot .

joe11121 03.24.2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"i just don't like to see the negativity about any band really even if its about milli vanilli!!!"

Wow.. I can't even think of a response to that.

Hahha, that made me lol.