Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   favorite short stories (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=375)

dietzer123 03.28.2006 01:10 AM

favorite short stories

harrison burgeoron by kurt vonnegut and the first one out of tales of ordinary madness by charles b. are probably my top two.

noumenal 03.28.2006 01:13 AM

I can't think of many right now, but I've read some good ones by Borges and Updike. Oh yeah, Dubliners by James Joyce. Oh and Flannery O'Connor.

krastian 03.28.2006 02:38 AM

Well I'm kind of drunk and can't post an accurate list without getting out a bunch of books so I'll just name a few of my favorite short story writers: Raymond Carver, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Flannery O'Conner (good call noumenal), Faulkner, John Cheever....a bunch more.

dietzer123 03.28.2006 02:41 AM

it's sad when you're in high school and you get wasted alone on school nights. i've spent the past hour or so drinking and really enjoying it so fuck it

nicfit 03.28.2006 03:15 AM

Carmilla ,by Le Fanu.

LifeDistortion 03.28.2006 03:29 AM

Any of the short stories by Rolad Dahl. He's incredible. If you haven't read any of his short shorties its a definate must, stories like "Lamb To The Slaugther", or "The Hitchhiker". The closest writer I know that is very Dahl like is T.C. Boyle is is also one of my favorites when it comes to short stories. Read all of his stories too, you won't regret it. "Top of the Food Chain" is a bona fide classic.

Hip Priest 03.28.2006 04:10 AM

My favoured short story authors:

HP Lovecraft
Nicola BArker
Evelyn Waugh
Giovanni Guareschi
Clark Ashton Smith
MIchael Bond
Arthur MAchen
Guy de MAupassant

Bertrand 03.28.2006 08:30 AM

Has anybody else read Toby Litt's New Puritans? I don't wanna be the only one who got scared reading that late at night...

A Thousand Threads 03.28.2006 08:40 AM

yeah
Lovecraft short stories are very good
no one mentioned Kafka
"In der Strafkolonie" is my favourite short story ever

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 09:05 AM

Love the Lovecraft!

In that vein, "Ubbo Sathla" by Clark Ashton Smith is pretty amazing.

jheii 03.28.2006 09:08 AM

Nice to see people shouting out Flannery O'Conner. As a tour guide I take people by the house where she grew up, but I've stopped pointing it out to them because no one, save an English teacher from Tennessee, ever knows who she is. Dubliners by Joyce and A Moveable Feast by Hemingway stand out as my favorite collections of short stories. Also Baudelaire and De Maupassant as far as French writers go.

whorefrost 03.28.2006 10:34 AM

Ray Bradbury - Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellars!
Ray Bradbury - A Flight of Ravens

utilises the same atmosphere of parananoic tension and unease that is used in Fahrenheit 451. utterly thrilling

truncated 03.28.2006 11:38 AM

I know he's got his opponents, but J.D. Salinger writes a mean short story. Anything out of "Nine Stories" is good. And I rather dig Somerset Maugham too.

jon boy 03.28.2006 01:54 PM

this is going to be the worst description on earth but about 18 months ago i read in a saturday guardian suplement the most horrifying but amazing short story.

it was called guts but i cant remember the authors name! basically to cut a long and tedious story short, it involves a swimming pool, a horny pubescent male and biting through your own intenstines to stop yourself from drowning.

thats distinctly gross but it was a very good read.

Kim C Not G 03.28.2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
this is going to be the worst description on earth but about 18 months ago i read in a saturday guardian suplement the most horrifying but amazing short story.

it was called guts but i cant remember the authors name! basically to cut a long and tedious story short, it involves a swimming pool, a horny pubescent male and biting through your own intenstines to stop yourself from drowning.

thats distinctly gross but it was a very good read.

Guts by Chuck Palahniuk.

jon boy 03.29.2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim C Not G
Guts by Chuck Palahniuk.

thanks, that was kinda bugging me.

player_piano 03.29.2006 07:11 AM

In Our Time - Ernest Hemingway
A collection of early short stories in Hemingway's own remarkable sparse style. Makes every word count. Very atmospheric and calming about men returning from war. Sublime.

The 97th Hammer 04.01.2006 01:03 AM

Some short stories I've enjoyed recently.
Lit:
Reflections-Angela Carter
The School-Donald Barthelme
Sc-Fi:
The Elvis National Theater of Okinawa-Johnathan Lethem and Lucas Jaeger
The Ant King-Benjamin Rosenbaum

For collections "Burning Chrome" by William Gibson was a good read (Need to lay my hands on a couple of his novels). I read the title story out of Carver's "Cathedral" for a class and should probably pick up the whole thing at some point. I read a collection of Vonnegut's short stories when I was in high school but the only thing I remember about it now is a nasty contraceptive that made people piss blue.

noumenal 04.01.2006 01:41 AM

Mark Twain. Don't forget him.

krastian 04.01.2006 04:14 PM

Yeah Twain has some good ones too......nice Shining pic noumenal.