Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Conan O'Brien's quality (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31391)

summer 05.18.2009 09:55 PM

Conan O'Brien's quality

Does anyone else agree with me when I say Conan O'Brien isn't that funny, and that the only reason he is, is because of facial expressions instead of actual jokes?

floatingslowly 05.18.2009 10:22 PM

the man wrote for the simpsons ffs.

I want my conan, and I want him now.

Sonic Youth 37 05.18.2009 10:23 PM

True that. If he was as unfunny as Dane Cook or Jimmy Kimmel now, the work he did for the Simpsons still would make up for it.

pbradley 05.18.2009 10:37 PM

He was funny when I would watch him freshman year of high school but I quickly got tired as there was never any attempt to really switch things up.

automatic bzooty 05.18.2009 10:57 PM

Conan is quality INDEED.

deflinus 05.19.2009 12:15 AM

he has hits and misses. mostly misses right now. he can still make me chuckle but i miss the extreme absurdity that was the earlier conan shows

EVOLghost 05.19.2009 12:32 AM

I have watched in a while, but I really enjoyed Conan....I actually caught SY on there for RR. They played Incinerate....it was coo!

phoenix 05.19.2009 02:33 AM

conan. no no.

Jeremy 05.19.2009 02:35 AM

Conan is amazing and one of the funniest people I've seen. He just has a lot of charisma and knows how to entertain. I can't WAIT until he takes over the Tonight Show because it's been too long since we've all had a good dose of him and the gang. Jimmy Fallon taking over Late Night is pathetic and to me always feels like a parody of a talk show, and a poor one at that.

To add again to my Conan O' Brien love, the few episodes of The Simpsons he wrote are all excellent episodes.

~Jeremy~

phoenix 05.19.2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
He just has a lot of charisma

He brings forth the lunch from my stomach.

Jeremy 05.19.2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
He brings forth the lunch from my stomach.

He makes my lunch taste better in ways I never would have believed before.

~Jeremy~

pbradley 05.19.2009 03:45 AM

I don't dislike Conan as a comedian. The dude can be funny but he's better when put into different situation while his show is always the same that it is beyond predictable. His cameos like on 30 Rock or elsewhere are great.

LifeDistortion 05.19.2009 05:10 AM

Actually I think some of the bits he does when he does them intially are really funny. I love humor that is totally random and ridiculous for the sake of being random and ridiculous. Like he says. "Why a masturbating bear?" To which he goes, why not? Why a puking Kermit the Frog? There is no set up or punch line just seeing the image of these things is what's funny. That being said. I don't like how he takes a bit that works one night and ends up ramming into the ground. Case in point showing "Walker Texas Ranger" clips. Even in the middle of a guest's interview.

atsonicpark 05.19.2009 05:14 AM

His Simpsons episodes are amongst the best ever. I found his show boring and annoying... and while I think, technically, he's pretty funny, his show and his act just don't really do anything for me.

Rob Instigator 05.19.2009 08:41 AM

I love his simpsons stuff, but thatw as written with a co-team of other writers all very good

conan by himself? on his TV show?

I FUCKING HATE HIM AND I WANT HIM DEAD.

I ahve HATED him since he began on television. I will hate him till his ivy league ass is rotting in the dirt of a rich man's cemetery

atsonicpark 05.19.2009 08:53 AM

I don't like any talk show hosts, really.

barnaclelapse 05.19.2009 09:01 AM

I love Conan, and I'm happy he's taking over The Tonight Show. It'd be nice to have host of that show who's actually funny once in a while.

If we're lucky, Leno's new suck-fest will quickly die.

As far as the others go, I like Craig Ferguson in small doses, but that's about it.

Jeremy 05.19.2009 01:15 PM

"I call the big one bitey!"

Still one of my favorite Simpsons quotes ever.

Craig has come a long way. At first he was awkward, but eventually found his niche. I'm not able to catch his show too often, but when I do I enjoy it.

~Jeremy~

EyeballGrowth 05.19.2009 01:25 PM

All I know is the episodes of Simpsons with Conan as the producer are among the best of the entire series

afterthefact 05.19.2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
"I call the big one bitey!"

Still one of my favorite Simpsons quotes ever.

Craig has come a long way. At first he was awkward, but eventually found his niche. I'm not able to catch his show too often, but when I do I enjoy it.

~Jeremy~

I used to hate Craig, but now I find him... charming? I don't know; I don't like saying that I am "charmed" by another guy, but if I ever were, he would come the closest.

As far as Conan goes, I liked when he cut that guy straight down the middle with the sword!