Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   best rock albums of 2008? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28617)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.19.2008 11:26 PM

best rock albums of 2008?

A lot of the albums I keep seeing very mellow, poppy, or ambient music.

What just flat out really fucking rocked? I want to hear some really rocking shit.

I haven't heard any other than Polysics- We Ate the Machine that really rocks. Perhaps they're the most rocking band out there right now.

Deerhoof can rock just as hard, but they're new albums pretty laid back.

Sonic Youth 37 12.19.2008 11:49 PM

Nouns-No Age
other than Polysics, that's about all I've got.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.20.2008 01:14 AM

Yeah, I've got that one
not nearly as rocking as Polysics though

SYRFox 12.20.2008 06:48 AM

Blood On The Wall - Liferz

It's really good

Derek 12.20.2008 07:27 AM

The new Harvey Milk RAWKSSSSSSS!!!!!!! \m/

atsonicpark 12.20.2008 08:17 AM

I'd reccomend just listening to the older, noisier, more rocking, and better Polysics albums. We Ate the Machine is good but nothing compared to a.d.s.r.m.. I would check out MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS for a great rock album from 2008. Also, Zazen Boys 4 -- aside from a few dance songs -- rocked. Sparta Locals rocked. The new We versus the Shark rocked... Experimental Dental School rock, in an odd way... the new Melvins... new Heroine Sheiks... and the Krallice album. The aforementioned Harvey Milk. Plenty of rock.

Oh, and for a great album that came out late 2007 that most people missed that rocks, Fatal Flying Guilloteens "Quantum Fucking".

atsonicpark 12.20.2008 08:19 AM

Dunno why that was all in bold, but okay.

Anyway... rock on.

Derek 12.20.2008 08:21 AM

'ROCK ON' WITH GEOLOGY!

yes

atsonicpark 12.20.2008 08:34 AM

For an album that rocks in a completely unexpected way, check out Zdzisław Piernik and Piotr Zabrodzki - Namanga ...

http://www.badongo.com/file/10279972

It's jazz, classical music, electroacousic improvisation, and chamber music rehearsal.... but somehow it fucking rocks too.

Also, Hairdryer Peace by the Hospitals rocks as well, but it's a very unfriendly kind of rock.

Also.. duh... Boris - Smile!

If you want to dig back a few more years, listen to Coachwhips and Number Girl. I always reccomend them to those looking to rock.

demonrail666 12.20.2008 11:53 AM

grand magus - iron will
moss - sub templum
motorhead - motorizer

all rocked.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.20.2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'd reccomend just listening to the older, noisier, more rocking, and better Polysics albums. We Ate the Machine is good but nothing compared to a.d.s.r.m.. I would check out MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS for a great rock album from 2008. Also, Zazen Boys 4 -- aside from a few dance songs -- rocked. Sparta Locals rocked. The new We versus the Shark rocked... Experimental Dental School rock, in an odd way... the new Melvins... new Heroine Sheiks... and the Krallice album. The aforementioned Harvey Milk. Plenty of rock.

Oh, and for a great album that came out late 2007 that most people missed that rocks, Fatal Flying Guilloteens "Quantum Fucking".

I know about the older Polysics stuff AtSonicPark, who do you think I am? But there are a few songs on the new one that really rock. Like Rocket.

schizophrenicroom 12.20.2008 12:43 PM

god, i didn't listen to anything this year. mostly singles.

my favorite was deerhoof only because i got to see them again. or vampire weekend.

PAULYBEE2656 12.20.2008 01:18 PM

polysics album was appalling.....

as for rock albums... maybe daemain frost or ty segall or maybe even metallica or vivian girls or nick cave and the bad seeds.... rock is such an overused word....too vague...

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.20.2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
'ROCK ON' WITH GEOLOGY!

yes

I actually tried to look that up
man I feel dumb
:o

davenotdead 12.20.2008 01:38 PM

yeah Hospitals and Harvey Milk, as has been mentioned...

also:

Wavves
Grails
Abe Vigoda
Black Pus
Goslings
Raccoo-oo-oon
Bardo Pond
Eat Skull
Brainbombs

super_charger 12.20.2008 06:45 PM

Marnie Stern
Ponytail
Wavves
Boris
Melvins

greedrex 12.20.2008 06:51 PM

i'm soooooooooooooooo behind.
shame on me.

batreleaser 12.20.2008 08:05 PM

Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Thee Oh Sees, Eat Skull, Pink Reason, Warmer Milks, Sic Alps, Psychedelic Horseshit, etc.......

sarramkrop 12.20.2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Thee Oh Sees, Eat Skull, Pink Reason, Warmer Milks, Sic Alps, Psychedelic Horseshit, etc.......

pink reason didn't have an album out in 2008.

davenotdead 12.20.2008 08:15 PM

am i the only one who doesn't really get into Deerhoof? i mean, i like greg saunier, i recognize his skill. i like their albums for the most part... but i never feel like listening to them... i guess they seem kind of boring to me...