Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   nirvana ripped of sy (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2802)

king_buzzo 06.10.2006 05:23 PM

nirvana ripped of sy

ha they took the riff from tunic. heres a linky
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cYmQw_8E3sw&search=nobody%20knows%20im%20n ew%20wave

the song is pretty cool though.

Magic Wheel Memory 06.10.2006 07:14 PM

Bands do that to each other all the time. "Chapel Hill" steals a riff from Superchunk, although that might be intentional since Superchunk is from Chapel Hill.

You could also argue that the main riff from Teenage Riot came from a Firehose song (I think it's called "Windmilling")

Sweet Shine is much like The Dream's Dream, by Television.

None of that changes SY being one of the best and most innovative bands ever.

Pax Americana 06.10.2006 07:23 PM

Nirvana borrowed ideas from a lot of bands, i.e. The Pixies. Bands borrow from each other and are influenced by each other all the time.

atsonicpark 06.10.2006 08:03 PM

"There is very little originality in the music business."

True, but I should point out the word BUSINESS.. Bands (like Nirvana) who make music for record labels to make tons of money are in a business. A lot of bands who dwell in the underground and whatnot usually pretty innovative.

finding nobody 06.10.2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnine
The White Stripes are not innovative.
Everybody ripped off somebody.

true. they're using the ideals in their music that've been used for years. the music just sounds good to me

atsonicpark 06.10.2006 08:17 PM

I don't care, necassarily, if a band's innovative. I do care if they're somewhat intelligent though.

And Nirvana were fucking idiots./

HaydenAsche 06.10.2006 08:26 PM

Agreed. I can't believe I used to listen to Nirvana. 3 really bad chords.

krastian 06.10.2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
everyone wants their "ding a ling" sucked

I think that's a fair assessment.

acousticrock87 06.10.2006 10:24 PM

There's a difference between ripping off bands, and being unoriginal. You'll always rip people off. Being original is just adding something to what you ripped off.

alyasa 06.10.2006 10:38 PM

No I ain't got the time time/Too busy sucking on my ding dong

ZEROpumpkins 06.11.2006 02:57 AM

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter sounds a lot like Starpower at the start. (Or some song off EVOL)

king_buzzo 06.11.2006 05:27 AM

^ yeah they are waaay overrated. and yeah kurt was an idiot for killing himself

satirejohn 06.11.2006 06:32 AM

I don't see how the hell that's a rip-off from Tunic. Nirvana were deffinetely inspired by Sonic Youth, but I don't think they ripped them off and surely not here...

greenlight 06.11.2006 09:33 AM

i don't listen to nirvana at all, but the thing that their music is about 3 riffs is what it makes cool in some way, it's catchy and rocking and...what acctually is on youtube link...lazy to click on it.

PAULYBEE2656 06.11.2006 09:44 AM

theletsslagoffnirvanaandpretendweneverlistenedtoem atall
becausewearewaycoolerthanthat thread #25489761225456

so what. nirvana admitted to ripping off the pixies, the kinks, the knack, the stooges, sonic youth, buttholes, whoever, and so what and yeah they were huge if u guys wanna blame anyone for nirvanas huge money meltdown and multi million sales worldwide(which a lot seems to have a problem with???) well i sugest BLAME THURSTON AND KIM cuz wasnt it them that got them the geffen deal, wasnt it them that gave them the exposure pre nevermind, wasnt it them who let them tour with sy everywhere, wasnt it them who gave a lot on the line to stick with these 3 rockin guys from seattle, not because they were gonna make millions but because they rocked bigtime, well wasnt it? im so tired of all the nirvana hate threads on this board. so what if you dont think its cool not to like em, so what if it demeans your "streetcred indieness" so fucking what. i still wear my smiley nirvana shirt and in fact its sandwiched between my galaxie 500 and my fall shirt in my wardrobe, does that make me fake? does that make me uncool? do i give a monkeys?

look sorry for the rant but at the end of the day, the vast majority of us wouldnt be here posting on this thread if it wasnt for nirvana. and thats a fact so plaese no one say "uh, i never liked em" cuz i dont believe you!

my story...... i got into nirvana via sy after a mate saw em in dublin 89 and gave me a copy of bleach. i still play negative creep in my dj sets! i know im lame........

Bal 06.11.2006 03:47 PM

i really never liked nirvana (meaning i dont own any of their records) but i dont hate them.
but now that you reminded me i might get their unplugged album cause i remember that was really good.

max 06.11.2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
theletsslagoffnirvanaandpretendweneverlistenedtoem atall
becausewearewaycoolerthanthat thread #25489761225456

so what. nirvana admitted to ripping off the pixies, the kinks, the knack, the stooges, sonic youth, buttholes, whoever, and so what and yeah they were huge if u guys wanna blame anyone for nirvanas huge money meltdown and multi million sales worldwide(which a lot seems to have a problem with???) well i sugest BLAME THURSTON AND KIM cuz wasnt it them that got them the geffen deal, wasnt it them that gave them the exposure pre nevermind, wasnt it them who let them tour with sy everywhere, wasnt it them who gave a lot on the line to stick with these 3 rockin guys from seattle, not because they were gonna make millions but because they rocked bigtime, well wasnt it? im so tired of all the nirvana hate threads on this board. so what if you dont think its cool not to like em, so what if it demeans your "streetcred indieness" so fucking what. i still wear my smiley nirvana shirt and in fact its sandwiched between my galaxie 500 and my fall shirt in my wardrobe, does that make me fake? does that make me uncool? do i give a monkeys?

look sorry for the rant but at the end of the day, the vast majority of us wouldnt be here posting on this thread if it wasnt for nirvana. and thats a fact so plaese no one say "uh, i never liked em" cuz i dont believe you!

my story...... i got into nirvana via sy after a mate saw em in dublin 89 and gave me a copy of bleach. i still play negative creep in my dj sets! i know im lame........

dude you're one of the wise ones.
i like you.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.11.2006 04:08 PM

a billion songs, not so much chords.

max 06.11.2006 04:33 PM

so fucking what?

Hip Priest 06.11.2006 04:44 PM

It doesn't bother me: I like sampled music, found sounds etc, so it'd be silly of me to object.