Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Classic Albums: No New York (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15813)

dazedcola 08.26.2007 11:55 AM

Classic Albums: No New York

This is a very important record to musical history. Its the best document of the short lived no wave scene in new york back in the 70s. Its the scene sonic youth eventually sprung from.This compilation is classic. I recently turned a friend onto it.

Who's your favorite band on this comp? Do you feel its unfair that red transistor and theoretical girls didn't get on it? Have you further explored this genre?

My favorite band on this is definetly James Chance and the Contortions, but I like all the bands on this comp. Chance just sounds so crazy with that weird sax playing mixed with weird rhythms.Wish he had done more.

gmku 08.26.2007 12:56 PM

I like the Mars and DNA cuts best.

atsonicpark 08.26.2007 03:35 PM

i also like the contortions the best. "flip your face" is actually steve albini's all time favorite songs. also, check out that contortions album irrestistable impulse i.. amazing.

you know what's odd.. i was actually going to make a poll the other day "favorite band on no new york". hmph..

CHOUT 08.26.2007 03:43 PM

I like the contortions the best on there.

PAULYBEE2656 08.26.2007 04:02 PM

i concour!

pbradley 08.26.2007 04:46 PM

I haven't been able to get this album. All I have is Teenage Jesus and the Jerks' Everything.

Washing Machine 08.26.2007 04:52 PM

I must pick up this record at some point.

atsonicpark 08.26.2007 05:21 PM

haha "Everything" is a classic. every song is lydia lunch singing "AH AH AH AH" to the bass/drums going "BUN BUN BUN BUN" and then the guitar shrieks. that's every song! (except the ones with james chance)

Everyneurotic 08.26.2007 05:53 PM

i don't care, teenage jesus were so negative they were awesome.

same with mars...i don't know, i like all four bands in it.

atsonicpark 08.26.2007 06:02 PM

well, i think james chance has the best songs on this particularly comp.. but i think dna is the best of all the bands.. if only because every dna song has arto lindsay with one hand on the 2nd, 3rd, and 12th frets of his guitar while his other hand just pushes the strings down as far as they could go. and that's it!

no wave rules.

demonrail666 08.26.2007 10:34 PM

Remember taking ages to hunt this down then, when i finally got it, feelng a bit let down. I still think it's more of historical than musical interest.

Hey, I think I might've just dissed a corner-stone of the whole No Wave scene. Wow.

SynthethicalY 08.26.2007 10:36 PM

Teenage Jesus and the Jerks.

k-krack 08.26.2007 11:16 PM

Never heard the whole comp, nor have I heard James Chance + Contortions... but I'm gonna say Teenage Jessus + Jerks. They fucking rule.

And rawdick... WHAT THE FUCK?! I need proof!

the ikara cult 08.27.2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

i concour!

I found this, inexplicably, a few weeks ago whilst on holiday in Ireland. Never seen a copy of it anywhere else. Its a good thing to do spasms to.

Everyneurotic 08.27.2007 08:43 AM

excuse me, what asskrak?

swa(y): yes, but they sprung from that scene, their first shows were attended by arto lindsay and lydia lunch, glenn branca employed them and jim sclavanous played on confusion is sex.

Glice 08.27.2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Remember taking ages to hunt this down then, when i finally got it, feelng a bit let down. I still think it's more of historical than musical interest.

Hey, I think I might've just dissed a corner-stone of the whole No Wave scene. Wow.

I agree with this sentiment. It's a good record, and I can imagine it must've been really exciting when it first came out, but I wouldn't say it's the best compilation I have. I do like the Mars tracks, and I need more of their stuff, but the rest doesn't really appeal to me.

the ikara cult 08.27.2007 11:00 AM

What sort of CD release was it given? Cos i know they did an "update" a few years ago called Yes New York that had Yeah yeah yeahs, Liars and all that sort of thing on, but ive never found No New York when ive looked.

Glice 08.27.2007 11:20 AM

It was re-issued on a Russian label a couple of years ago... Lilith Records, a quick internet search reveals.

Available here. There's quite a sexy picture disc there as well.

atsonicpark 08.27.2007 01:06 PM

they also had uh.. "maybe chicago" or something.. i dunno.. check the wikipedia for no new york..

atsonicpark 08.27.2007 01:07 PM

on that note, i don't really hear no wave in yeah yeah yeahs or liars.. i hear no wave in erase errata, scissor girls, bride of no no (who are like no wave prog rock), maybe even magik markers though i hate to admit it.. anyone else know of any good current "no wave" type bands?