Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Franz Ferdinand (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19185)

SYRFox 01.24.2008 05:53 AM

Franz Ferdinand

I know I should be ashamed of it, but I totally like them. I find their first album really really good, and the second is good too. They're not doing anything new but they do it so well! Take Me Out is a killer IMO.

Okay, now you can kill me :)

Death & the Maiden 01.24.2008 06:19 AM

Franz Ferdinand used to be one of my favourites (behind Robbie Williams and The Caesars), but I forgot about them when I discovered the Ramones. Looking back, they were really good. Take Me out, Tell Her Tonight, This Fire - great songs.

raging_nelly 01.24.2008 09:42 AM

I love the franz! They are the band who really got me into 'alternative' music in the first place.... well, those and feeder and carter:usm

atsonicpark 01.24.2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Franz Ferdinand used to be one of my favourites (behind Robbie Williams and The Caesars), but I forgot about them when I discovered the Ramones. Looking back, they were really good. Take Me out, Tell Her Tonight, This Fire - great songs.

Hahah. So many comedians on this board.

Anyway, I remember downloading their CD and almost every song sounded like they were trying to be a high-school-scene-friendly Gang of Four. But Take Me Out IS an amazing song...

nicfit 01.24.2008 10:09 AM

I saw them at a festival before SY. I had fun.

GrungeMonkey 01.24.2008 11:07 AM

I like the first album. There were some really cool guitar riffs on there, and while it was pop music, it was a bit darker and edgier than a lot of similar stuff... Didn't like the second album though. Just generally crap.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.24.2008 11:09 AM

I was listening to one of their albums yesterday. It wasn't too bad.

PAULYBEE2656 01.24.2008 12:13 PM

fanz ferdinand are not crap. they are a real good band its just a shame that they got lumped into the worldwide new british indie art rock thing....... like the monkeys (who arent a shit band, just great at writing pop songs). the first album is good, the second so so.......

Everyneurotic 01.24.2008 12:18 PM

alright, enought with the mushy shit.

franz ferdinand= another bad rip off of post punk bands (that idiot singer really wishes he was david byrne it's not funny.)

PAULYBEE2656 01.24.2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging_nelly
I love the franz! They are the band who really got me into 'alternative' music in the first place.... well, those and feeder and carter:usm

jeez, you skipped a decade there somewhere nelly!

batreleaser 01.24.2008 01:50 PM

i like the beginning of take me out. thats the only good music theyve ever made. the early 2000's (01-03) was an awful time for music. everyone was completley ripping off Pil and Gang Of Four and doing it awfully. fucking electroclash.

atsonicpark 01.24.2008 03:03 PM

The main riff in "Take Me Out" was ripped off from something but I can't remember what.

drrrtyboots 01.24.2008 03:04 PM

Fly Pan Am

Glice 01.24.2008 03:38 PM

Don't like, but I don't like any of the bands they 'ripped off'.

By the way, anyone saying 'band x ripped off band y' needs to be shot or at least prosecuted for defamation. They're only riffs, rarely are they super-original in the first place.

StevOK 01.24.2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The main riff in "Take Me Out" was ripped off from something but I can't remember what.

Local H - Copacetic?

Everyneurotic 01.24.2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
By the way, anyone saying 'band x ripped off band y' needs to be shot or at least prosecuted for defamation. They're only riffs, rarely are they super-original in the first place.

in the case of bands like franz fuckdinand or interpuke or the horrors, when not only do they cope riffs but also looks, vocal styles, poses, fashion, etc. then calling them rip off is not only elemental, but also a duty.

✌➬ 01.24.2008 06:02 PM

They dressed the same. I don't know if I should listen to more. I always get annoyed when all people dress the same in a band. Makes the music bland.

Cantankerous 01.24.2008 06:02 PM

actually i think they ripped off a ringo starr song or something? that hack deserves to be ripped off anyway.
yeah anyway they're awful, just like art brut, interpol, etc

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.24.2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
I always get annoyed when all people dress the same in a band. Makes the music bland.

Depends.

✌➬ 01.24.2008 06:07 PM

Well that is true, but most cannot pull it off.