Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Album Remasters? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34932)

sonic_pensioner 09.28.2009 07:52 AM

Album Remasters?

Hey, I'm a newbie here, albeit not a newbie in SY world having begun my relationship with the original vinyl release of Bad Moon Rising and gigs back in London in the mid-80's. I'm currently filling gaps in my CD collection and badly want copies of Sister and Evol but I'm wondering if there are plans afoot for these (or any other) albums to be relased in the near future in deluxe editions (like Daydream Nation) or remastered versions? I'm sure you people know all about it but any info would be great....

scott v 09.28.2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_pensioner
Hey, I'm a newbie here, albeit not a newbie in SY world having begun my relationship with the original vinyl release of Bad Moon Rising and gigs back in London in the mid-80's. I'm currently filling gaps in my CD collection and badly want copies of Sister and Evol but I'm wondering if there are plans afoot for these (or any other) albums to be relased in the near future in deluxe editions (like Daydream Nation) or remastered versions? I'm sure you people know all about it but any info would be great....

There has not been any word from SY or their management on such a release, it would be cool to have those albums remastered more so to see what bonus material may come up. Though its been told that the Master Tapes for Sister were recorded over for the recording sessions of Experimental Jet Set... which would make a 'remaster from the "original" master tapes impossible' though that may not necessary mean some sort of tapes still exist...

greenlight 09.28.2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
Though its been told that the Master Tapes for Sister were recorded over for the recording sessions of Experimental Jet Set... which would make a 'remaster from the "original" master tapes impossible' though that may not necessary mean some sort of tapes still exist...

thought that issue was "solved" with comment of Lee in one of the threads concerning this issue, that they still have a master tape. now I'm not sure again and might be wrong.

speaking of reissues and remasters, maybe we should ask Moshe.

rossboss 09.28.2009 10:20 AM

Think it was Steve, Greenlight... He basically said they just played Sister through a walkman into one of the mixing desk tracks, so masters should still be in the vaults somewhere....Remasters would rock!

SONIC GAIL 09.28.2009 11:18 AM

Welcome Aboard!

sonic_pensioner 09.28.2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Welcome Aboard!

Howdy and thanks, and thanks to everyone who has replied. Sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath for these just yet. Perhaps I'll stick with the vinyl for the older albums for the time being....:confused:

mysonichaircut 09.28.2009 12:13 PM

hope they wont remaster them, they sound perfect now. bonus material would be great.

infinitemusic 09.28.2009 12:29 PM

Hopefully they rerelease them... they're incredibly expensive on vinyl from what I've found.

acdc518 09.28.2009 12:29 PM

you can get the current cd issues of evol and sister for like $5 each if you check ebay or the amazon marketplace. both would be a good investment to hold you over until if/when they release deluxe editions

also, the old geffen cd of DDN sounds alot better than the remastered version in the deluxe edition IMO

Jeremy 09.28.2009 01:02 PM

I agree, the remastered DDN separates the guitars too much for my liking.

~Jeremy~

SuperCreep 09.28.2009 01:26 PM

I'm cool with more bonus material, but everything that's been remastered so far is terribly loud. Dirty in particular is painful to listen to. I'd just stick to the originals.

Jeremy 09.28.2009 01:54 PM

I think remastered Goo sounds fairly solid, but I agree Dirty is too loud, and DDN suffers from similar problems.

~Jeremy~

greenlight 09.28.2009 08:03 PM

true. but Dirty came up with best bonus stuff compare to the other reissues. i mean it was full disc of previously unheard (is this correct word in english?) stuff. songs of Dirty in its rehearsal form. fantastic. the other reissues and its extras had to me more or less known stuff. not saying it's bad, but I was blown away with Dirty reissue. I'd love to hear more of previously not released stuff and something from early albums would be deadly!

oh yeah and welcome (of course)!

nancykitten 09.29.2009 04:04 AM

I think both EVOL and Sister badly need a remaster to be honest. It's not about 'changing' the music; it's more taking a DVD and changing it for Blu Ray: everything is clearer and more enjoyable.

Some albums simply don't need the remaster, but those two sound very dense and murky. I think Steve's drumming would benefit the most from it. It's way too buried.

I really love the DDN remaster. I think it sounds better than the original, and it's my 2nd favourite record of all-time, so I wouldn't say that lightly.

The Earl Of Slander 09.29.2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancykitten
I think both EVOL and Sister badly need a remaster to be honest. It's not about 'changing' the music; it's more taking a DVD and changing it for Blu Ray: everything is clearer and more enjoyable.

Some albums simply don't need the remaster, but those two sound very dense and murky. I think Steve's drumming would benefit the most from it. It's way too buried.

While I would be interested to hear remastered versions, I would be very annoyed if they lifted any of the density or murkiness from those two, especially EVOL. That sonic (no pun intended) character is just what makes that album so amazing. The whole atmosphere of things just being a bit off and cloudy is one of the main reasons that EVOL is my joint favourite Youth album.

With Sister the same is true to a certain extent, but due to the more full on "rock" nature of the album, I suppose I can see the appeal of a louder/cleaner mix, but really if it lifted that murky atmosphere it would do again do more damage than good for me. I can see how a remaster for both would be good, but in all likelyhood the remasters we would actually get, judging by Geffen's taste in the past, would be... not good.

As to the drums thing, I really don't know what people always seem to have against them on those two album. They sound amazing! Tom Violence, Expressway, especially Shizophrenia, and basically all of the tracks on those albums have some of my hands down favourite drum sounds ever!

Or just separate all the guitars, bump the volume and flatten the whole thing out. Whatever. I have the originals if they do make sucky remasters.

sonic_pensioner 09.29.2009 06:40 AM

Many thanks for so much feedback (pun intended); the main reason I've held off on the CD issues of EVOL and Sister was a possibly unfounded concern as to how well the original mastering was done given the age of the recordings but it seems for most people that it was a job well done. I may have to take the plunge after all. And yes, the vinyl IS expensive but still worth it...

SonicBebs 09.29.2009 07:32 AM

i know what people mean about the feel or the sound of the albums being part of the appeal, but they are very muddy and that can be annoying at times (putting them on a mix cd, mix tape or even *gulp* playlist)

i think a better solution would be for the band to re-record the albums from scratch

StevOK 09.29.2009 10:28 AM

I'm all for EVOL / Sister re-mastering.

Jeremy 09.29.2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
true. but Dirty came up with best bonus stuff compare to the other reissues. i mean it was full disc of previously unheard (is this correct word in english?) stuff. songs of Dirty in its rehearsal form. fantastic. the other reissues and its extras had to me more or less known stuff. not saying it's bad, but I was blown away with Dirty reissue. I'd love to hear more of previously not released stuff and something from early albums would be deadly!

oh yeah and welcome (of course)!

I really like the Goo demos, because we hear the songs in early SY form and then how they evolved into the more "radio friendly" songs on Goo. It's a really cool difference to hear.

Better than Dirty's bonus stuff? Debatable.

~Jeremy~

greenlight 09.29.2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
because we hear the songs in early SY form and then how they evolved

hmmm, is not what Dirty bonus material is about? that's exactly the reason why I love Dirty reissue most among the rest. hahaha, nice.