Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   so what should I get next by the fall? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5315)

defcon4 08.21.2006 04:11 PM

so what should I get next by the fall?

I just purchased This Nation's Saving Grace and I feel it is good enough to continue exploring.

sonicl 08.21.2006 04:18 PM

Wonderful and Frightening World

Glice 08.21.2006 04:18 PM

I would recommend the Peel sessions box set if you've got the money.

Otherwise, you could go farther wrong than to pick any of the more recent ones (The Real New FAll LP aka country on the click/ Fall heads Roll/ Are you are missing winner/ the Marshall suite/ Levitate) or get the compilation (50,000 Fall fans can't be wrong) or get something else which will also be very, very good.

I would avoid Live at the Witch Trials though.

Hip Priest 08.21.2006 04:20 PM

Peel Sessions Box Set. 24 sessions, nearly a hundred tracks, and a very reasonable price. And it spans the years 1978 - 2005, so you get a good overview of their different sounds.

For the record, my two favourite Fall studio LP's are The Infotainment Scan and The Unutterable.

fishmonkey 08.22.2006 11:26 AM

listen to Mr Priest for he is a veritable gold mine of information on loads of bands including this one.

hey alex 08.22.2006 11:36 AM

and if all else fails... hex enduction hour

Glice 08.22.2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest

For the record, my two favourite Fall studio LP's are The Infotainment Scan and The Unutterable.

Mine are Levitate and Perverted by Language, although I think the Acute off of Are you are missing winner is my favourite song.

k-krack 08.22.2006 03:58 PM

i (only) have Wonderful and Frightening World of.... (c.r.e.e.p.) which is the real title... i usually call it c.r.e.e.p....

Hip Priest 08.22.2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Mine are Levitate and Perverted by Language, although I think the Acute off of Are you are missing winner is my favourite song.

My cd's of Levitate and The Marshall Suite are nowhere to be found, which is extremely irritating as they are both excellent, and because they aren't in any shops.

My favourite song, as I've said many times, is the Peel Session version of Athlete Cured, and I also love Hit the North part four (on the cassette single), but from an LP it would be between US 80's - 90's, Service, and Serum. Possibly.

As a rule, I prefer Peel session versions of stuff.

Hip Priest 08.22.2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
i (only) have Wonderful and Frightening World of.... (c.r.e.e.p.) which is the real title... i usually call it c.r.e.e.p....

Go to post no 180ish in the share/bootlegs thread in the non-sonic sounds section. Everyneurotic upped a couple of Fall shows I sent him to badongo. Both are very good.

If someone can remind me how to compress a file to small size, I might be willing to up a show with the new line-up. Good stuff.

k-krack 08.22.2006 04:12 PM

i meant to pose that as a question. sorry, which is the actual title? are they both working titles?

Glice 08.22.2006 04:14 PM

The Wonderful and Frightening world of... The Fall.

The C.R.E.E.P bit is incidental textart.

Edit: This is quite obvious on the original LP - It occurs to me that the re-issues might have subtley different art? Or perhaps include the C.R.E.E.P single/ EP?

Hip Priest 08.22.2006 04:18 PM

The C.R.E.E.P. bit in my cd booklet is the artwork for the single:

http://www.thefall.info/trackrecord/...4a7348e8609e7c

k-krack 08.22.2006 04:20 PM

thats the art on my cd. whats the art supposed to be? maybe the book is wierd....?

strictlycommercial 08.23.2006 12:04 PM

Respect-inducing hyphen

But shop around for the Peel Sessions, a lifesaver for those who don't want to commit half their life/paycheck to buying Fall records.

gmku 08.23.2006 12:06 PM

I don't have anything by the Fall, and I'm not concerned about that. Nor do I want to be concerned about that.

So I cannot recommend, obviously.

defcon4 08.23.2006 12:21 PM

Thanks for the input. I hear great things about the Peel Sessions but hesitate to drop 50 bucks or whatever that costs on my second Fall release when I'm not even sure I like them yet. I was looking for a good second album to get. Would that be Hex Enduction Hour?

o o o 08.23.2006 04:56 PM

i would personally recommend "Hex Enduction Hour", "Perverted By Language" or "Grotesque"...

i must also say i really like "Live at the witch trials"... is this record not so much appreciated by other Fall fans?...

Hip Priest 08.23.2006 05:11 PM

I'd say no, as it happens. You already have TNSG, so I'd say go for a later one to hear a different sound. The Fall's sound has gone through so many stages - maybe a cheaper collection, like '50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong' or '458489 A-Sides', both of which can usually be picked up cheap.

On the other hand, check out posts number 180-190 on the sharing thread in this section. You should find download links for a couple of Fall shows, posted by Everyneurotic. 1988 and 2005, I think.

Beware that a lot of Fall stuff is semi-official and non-official compilations of live and alternate versions. This discography is good for letting you know what's what.

Toilet & Bowels 08.23.2006 07:05 PM

my favourites are dragnet & hex enduction hour

as for this statement:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I don't have anything by the Fall, and I'm not concerned about that. Nor do I want to be concerned about that.

So I cannot recommend, obviously.

i find it quite bewildering that people who are into SY wouldn't be into the fall.